Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb I did it now! Time for new Brakes

Just ordered the Ordered the HydraStar Disc Brake Kit! Should get it in a week or two. I've watched a few videos on the installation and looks pretty strait forward.
    My only concern (slight) is finding the cable bundle from the pin box to tie into the proper brake controller wires. Hopefully this will be easy enough.

If anyone here has done this, feel free to chime in on any tips! Anything from routing the brake lines (I will be routing on the inside of the coroplast for additional protection), torque, or any other fun tips you've learned along the way.

Background on what brought me to this:

Last year I posted about a debacle blowing out the grease seal using the infamous ez-lube system for the wheel bearings (NEVER AGAIN !!!!).
    Caused a major mess of grease. Meticulously cleaned it all up, packed bearings by hand and all was good. Brakes never felt very strong, but that was the case since new.

Then I was flagged down later that year for "Smoke coming out of my wheels". Something caught on the emergency brake away cable and I never knew it (that's how good the brakes were).

I pulled over, let everything cool down (it was raining, so that helped a bit). Moved forward, all felt ok, brakes seamed to work ok, so continued on. Late in the season, would inspect the following spring and replace the brake pads.

Now replacing tires (going to Sailun), had wheel off so went to check/repack the bearings and check the brakes. Brake liner pieces fell out of the drum, the drum was an absolute mess, deep grooves, lots of rust, etc. just a bad situation. Both wheels on the passenger side. Drivers side looked normal; gotta love how these drum brakes each have their own level of performance.

Decided to replace all 4 drums and brake assemblies... HOLY SMOKES (pun intended), was going to be over $1500 all said and done.
    Investigated other options. Hydraulic disc brakes weren't much more $$$, and offered MUCH better braking performance (according to multiple reviews).
    2018 Solitude 344gk
    2021 Ram 3500 SRW

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The junction box is right between. The wingset. Takes a minute or two to fish a cable from it to the front storage.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    The junction box is right between. The wingset. Takes a minute or two to fish a cable from it to the front storage.
    Awesome! I'm familiar with the junction box, but I'm glad to hear fishing wires to/from this box is easy!
    2018 Solitude 344gk
    2021 Ram 3500 SRW