User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry Changing tires on a Solitude, Damage to wheels

Has anyone changed tires on their Solitude? Ordered a set of Sailun tires and typical tire shops were unable to install, or even remove the original tire for that matter.

Found one shop that works with commercial vehicles and they were able to install.
    Picked them up this afternoon, got them home, and to my surprise they are scratched significantly, and the rim is severely damaged in multiple places where it was obviously a crow bar or bar of some sorts.

Am I crazy to think these should've been installed without significant damage ?!? It's EVERY wheel.
    I don't think I'm being nit-picky here. Below is an one of them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210412_181113.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	33371
    2018 Solitude 344gk
    2021 Ram 3500 SRW

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bfs673 View Post
    Has anyone changed tires on their Solitude? Ordered a set of Sailun tires and typical tire shops were unable to install, or even remove the original tire for that matter.

Found one shop that works with commercial vehicles and they were able to install.
    Picked them up this afternoon, got them home, and to my surprise they are scratched significantly, and the rim is severely damaged in multiple places where it was obviously a crow bar or bar of some sorts.

Am I crazy to think these should've been installed without significant damage ?!? It's EVERY wheel.
    I would say that is excessive. Especially if it is on every wheel.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^ ×2 what was said. That is excessive damage
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They owe you new rims.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definately amateurish.
    I had a fusion with heavy tires replaced and they had nylon? guards on the tire machine to protect the rims - NO damage at all.
    2021 GD 260RD
    2012 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7L

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry, but where are you located and had this done? There's nothing special about the wheels from Lionshead. Any tire shop with modern tire changing equipment can easily break them off and install new without damage! Even any if the Tire King franchised brands!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry for your problem. I’ve heard of tire shops having trouble with the combination of Westlake G rated tires and Lionshead rims before. Enough to have me aware when I ordered Sailuns myself. I have an older Coats rim clamp machine. They were stiffer than most , and tires were a little difficult to get into the low spot in the rim to remove , but was able to do them with no damage , and I’m not really a tire guy. Seems anyone that does tires every day and has a modern machine should be able to swap them with no marring. I would have a serious conversation with the shop.
    Charlie
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bfs673 View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210412_181113.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	33371
    Sorry that this happened to you and thank you for sharing. We can all benefit from your experience. You are not being picky. You pay a "professional" to do a "professional" job. That is, the the knowledge, the skills and the proper equipment to do a "professional job". Frank.
    Frank & Jolynn Martin
    Litchfield, MN
    Mabel & Bailey, Golden Retriever Fur Kids
    2019 RAM 3500 CTD, CC, LB, B&W Turnover Ball, AirLift 5000 Bags
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 4440# CCC, Reese 20K GooseBox, 8K EOH Disc brakes, RV Airflow, SoftStartRV, 2-206AH SOK batteries, Victron Multiplus II, Victron 30A DC2DC,790W of Solar, Flex Armor Roof, Blu Tech Water Filtration, BlazeCut Fire Suppression

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, I just looked at your photo closely on my laptop. I do not know the recommended tire pressures for your 2018 from the factory nor the size of Sailuns your replaced them with, but do know I have never come across a snap-in valve stem rated more than 100psi (cold pressure). Be sure you have appropriate stems for your application. I personally only run valve stems that match the maximum cold inflation inflation pressure of the tire, which is just left over from my years in my old money-pit of a hobby! LOL
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Woah, no excuse for that! I used to work in a tire shop & we had equipment to change tires on custom wheels and mount 40 and 50-series tires. No damage. Period.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast