User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best hitch option for towing Momentum 25G

Picking up our 25G soon. Will be using a 2018 2500 duramx to tow with. From reading other threads the ProPride seems to be the hitch of choice if the price tag isn’t an issue. Will be doing quite a bit of boondocking and was wondering if it is difficult to get hooked back up if not on level ground? Any other advantages/disadvantages of using the ProPride or other hitch recommendations? Thanks.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Disadvantage is weight and price tag. There are lots of really good wdh at a fraction of the price and weight. Husky, Blue Ox, Anderson just to name a few very popular and well reviewed here. There also the True Tow by Weight Safe that would really benefit tow haulers as the weight in the rear will very and its real quick to adjust.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About 10 years ago I used a Hensley Arrow (Same design) and found it too difficult to hitch up on uneven ground. Not impossible but 70% of the time it required quite a few back ups to get it done. On flat level blacktop/concrete it's was easy.
    On the plus side it made my 1/2 ton truck and 7200# 31' TT tow like they were both on rails.
    Looking at the 25G and seeing that it has a 15%+ dry brochure TW I'm not sure you need a Pro Pride with your 2500. It's a great hitch and no doubt would serve you well, but it seems like overkill to me.
    The other concern is the PP is max rated for 1400# tongue weight. The 25G is 1150 per brochure. Add propane and batteries and you be 1300#'s. I know TH's are designed to carry weight in the rear but how much are you putting in the rear and how does that relate % wise to TW reduction. It's not 100%
    If you're dry camping you need water. Are the fresh water tanks on the 25G are in front of the axles? 100 gals is around 850#'s. Add that to the 1150 and you're at 2,000#'s for TW.
    Minus what you put in the rear of the TH I'm guessing that you'll push 1500#'s or more for TW. Too much for a 1400" TW rated PP.

I bet you'll need all the WDH you can get. 1700+ lb bars IMO.
    Last edited by goducks14; 04-13-2021 at 09:45 AM.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Toy hauler = “weigh-safe” imo.

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feedback. Will be hauling a four seat RZR on some of the trips that weighs in around 1,700lbs. Max cargo for my 25G is 2,684. The GVWR is 11,500. Add a full fresh water tank and I’m almost maxed out at 2,550. Is it recommended to tow with your water tanks 100% full or at zero to avoid sloshing?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyotes View Post
    Picking up our 25G soon. Will be using a 2018 2500 duramx to tow with. From reading other threads the ProPride seems to be the hitch of choice if the price tag isn’t an issue. Will be doing quite a bit of boondocking and was wondering if it is difficult to get hooked back up if not on level ground? Any other advantages/disadvantages of using the ProPride or other hitch recommendations? Thanks.
    I have the Equalizer 16k hitch and it’s been fine. But if I did it over, I would have gone with the weigh safe. We have a Wolverine X4 and it would be nice to adjust the hitch on the fly when we don’t bring it camping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I towed a 10K lb toy hauler for about 20K miles with my '16 Chevy 2500 (replaced), with a Husky Centerline WDH. Never had a problem, no sway, and it did fine in some interesting cross winds. I have been told the Equalizer 4pt is also a good WDH. PP is a great hitch, but for someone towing with "enough" truck, just don't see spending the money for it when at a quarter of the price, the other WDH's do just as good of a job.

Although I only did it on side roads where I was only going a short distance, the Chevy 2500/3500 does not require a WDH up to its max hitch weight. I had no problems, trailer did great, but I definitely could feel the weight that was taken off the front axle.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are using a Hensley Arrow hitch, which is very similar to a ProPride and we love it. We have no issues hitching up, but there is a slight leaning curve. The angle of the hitch box (the black part below the orange in the pic) has to be aligned with the angle of the hitch bar (we call it the stinger) attached to the truck. If they are not aligned, you will have issues hitching up. The angle is critical. So to help with that, I made a wooden replica of the stinger. When hitching up we insert the wooden stinger into the hitch box and back the truck up close to it. Then we can easily see if the angle is correct or not. If off, angle of the hitch head is simply adjusted by tightening up or loosening the jacks, which moves the weight distribution bars up or down. This changes the angle of the hitch box. We also use the "Hitch Helper, shown on the bottom pic. Once we have the angle of the wooden stinger aligned with the real stinger, I pull out the wooden one out. Then with the Hitch Helper we can easily move the nose of the trailer 4 or 5 inches to the right of left. This enables us to align everything up perfectly, without having back up so perfect. Once we moved the nose of the trailer so the hitch box aligns with the stinger, we just slowly back the trunk up and the stinger just slides right in.

These two hiches (Hensley and Propride) truly do eliminate sway. We've towed over 7000 miles with it and have not experienced any sway at all. We even got caught up in the tail end of the hurricane that hit Nova Scotia a few years back and have not had an issue. There are other good hitches on the market, but I think these two are the best. If you need or anyone else needs any additional info, just send me a message.

Thanks

Bob

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190903_071252062.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	106.6 KB 
ID:	33452Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190903_071329638.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	107.1 KB 
ID:	33453

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to everyone for sharing their thoughts. Ended up ordering the WeighSafe. Will see how it goes. Gonna pick the trailer up next week. Family is excited! Is it ok to tow the trailer without installing the whole system and just using the head assembly? I’m only about 20 miles from the dealer and would rather take my time setting it up at home. Will reach out to weighsafe tomorrow and ask their thoughts on it also. I see they have an adapter kit for the draw bar but currently out of stock.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyotes View Post
    Thanks to everyone for sharing their thoughts. Ended up ordering the WeighSafe. Will see how it goes. Gonna pick the trailer up next week. Family is excited! Is it ok to tow the trailer without installing the whole system and just using the head assembly? I’m only about 20 miles from the dealer and would rather take my time setting it up at home. Will reach out to weighsafe tomorrow and ask their thoughts on it also. I see they have an adapter kit for the draw bar but currently out of stock.
    I set mine up at the dealer when we bought our 31G. Fairly straightforward process. Fine tuned once i had it home.
    2021 Momentum 31G
    2021 20' Haulmark Edge race trailer
    '17 Ram CCLB 3500 dually 6.7 turbo
    '96 Chevy C3500 CC dually 454
    2019 Honda Talon X
    1985 Honda FL350R Odyssey

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast