User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solar Mounting Solution - Need input!!

My husband and I are in the process of installing RICH SOLAR M200D solar panels on our Solitude 380FL and after much research we decided to go with RICH SOLAR 28" RV Tilt Mounts because they made the most sense for what we wanted. The only obstacle we've hit is trying to install these straight-edge brackets on the rounded roof. As you can see in the photos, there is about 1/4 inch lift on the left side because of the curve in the roof. We are planning to mount the brackets with 6-8 screws starting from the right side and moving left until the point where my husband's finger is in the photo, leaving the remainder of the bracket alone to avoid any "pull" in the roof.

Aside from not being aesthetically pleasing, is there any reason this WON'T work? Our thought is that the mounts and panels will still be secure and will not sit any higher than the equipment that is already up there (AC units, vents, etc). Your input about why this mounting solution will not work is appreciated. Just want to make sure we aren't thinking too simply about this.

- Kim

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RCPanel.PNG 
Views:	26 
Size:	285.3 KB 
ID:	34827Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RCMount.PNG 
Views:	29 
Size:	189.3 KB 
ID:	34829Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image0000.jpg 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	34830Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image0000.jpg2.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	34831Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image0000.jpg3.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	34832

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it were mine, i think i would want to secure the whole length to avoid any movement. I would 1st put a bead of sealant down then get some plastic shims and if needed a few screws that are 1/4" longer for the end. Now I am not saying what you suggest will not work, but rather what i would do.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
    2021 GD Reflection 303rls
    2019 ram 2500 Crew Cab tradesman 4x4
    Autoslider 5th wheel hitch.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RidinTheBreeze View Post
    My husband and I are in the process of installing RICH SOLAR M200D solar panels on our Solitude 380FL and after much research we decided to go with RICH SOLAR 28" RV Tilt Mounts because they made the most sense for what we wanted. The only obstacle we've hit is trying to install these straight-edge brackets on the rounded roof. As you can see in the photos, there is about 1/4 inch lift on the left side because of the curve in the roof. We are planning to mount the brackets with 6-8 screws starting from the right side and moving left until the point where my husband's finger is in the photo, leaving the remainder of the bracket alone to avoid any "pull" in the roof.

Aside from not being aesthetically pleasing, is there any reason this WON'T work? Our thought is that the mounts and panels will still be secure and will not sit any higher than the equipment that is already up there (AC units, vents, etc). Your input about why this mounting solution will not work is appreciated. Just want to make sure we aren't thinking too simply about this.

- Kim

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RCPanel.PNG 
Size:	285.3 KB 
ID:	34827Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RCMount.PNG 
Views:	29 
Size:	189.3 KB 
ID:	34829Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image0000.jpg 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	34830Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image0000.jpg2.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	34831Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image0000.jpg3.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	34832
    A lot of people have installed a couple of lengthwise tracks on the roof, and bolted the tilt brackets to them. The big advantage to tracks is the ability to attach them to studs. Especially important when using tilts, as they will put more force on the attachments when the wind blows. A lot of people use what I believe is called "unistrut" for this. It is made for electrical panel mounting etc.
    Last edited by huntindog; 06-09-2021 at 05:41 AM.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly, I would return the tilt brackets and just install one more panel. It will more than make up for the benefit of tilting your panels and cut down on trips to the roof.

Just a thought, but that gap would drive me insane, as well as climbing my ladder twice a day when there’s trails that need hiking and beer that needs drinking.

Bill