User Tag List

Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Weight rating of hitch

  1. #1
    Setting Up Camp
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    38
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Weight rating of hitch

    Hi all. Iím new to both towing and fifth wheels, and hoping for recommendations on a hitch for the Solitude 310GK, 15,000lb GVWR. TV is an F350 SRW LB so wonít need a slider. Canít find info on what weight rating I need on the hitch - 16,000? 20,000? Or higher? I have a payload capacity of 4,011 lbs, and with the trailerís pin weight of around 3,000lbs, and truck cargo weight of around 450lbs I do have capacity for the heavy models. Truck comes prepped with pucks. Any recommendations?
    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Site Team Second Chance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Wherever...
    Posts
    4,197
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the 310GK, I would recommend an 18K hitch. 20K is overkill and would be heavier. If you have the 8K axles with 17.5" load range H tires, I believe the GVWR for the trailer is 18K, anyway.

    Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Widowed and very happily remarried
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

  3. #3
    Site Sponsor
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    "Murvil", TN
    Posts
    1,213
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I absolutely love my B&W Companion hitch....American made Quality and a very solid and well made hitch. I have the Companion 25K model, but that is because the regular Companion (20K) just isn't quite big enough in my opinion for my Momentum 394 that has a GVWR of 20,000 lbs. If I were you, I would go with the 20K Companion....unless of course you are planning on upgrading the trailer to a larger model at some time in the future.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M....Got it!
    2019 Can Am Spyder RT
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

    "If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

  4. #4
    Site Sponsor Steven@147's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Fulltimers
    Posts
    1,481
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pippamills View Post
    Hi all. Iím new to both towing and fifth wheels, and hoping for recommendations on a hitch for the Solitude 310GK, 15,000lb GVWR. TV is an F350 SRW LB so wonít need a slider. Canít find info on what weight rating I need on the hitch - 16,000? 20,000? Or higher? I have a payload capacity of 4,011 lbs, and with the trailerís pin weight of around 3,000lbs, and truck cargo weight of around 450lbs I do have capacity for the heavy models. Truck comes prepped with pucks. Any recommendations?
    Thanks!
    5th wheel towing is great! Many hitches are available and everyone likes what they have. We are using the non slider companion hitch. Our RV has a GVWR of 16,800 and its weight by the scales is right around 15,500, we are using the companion Ram puck 18K hitch and it works very well with the MORryde pin box. Our hitch never comes out of the truck bed. I just did maintenance on the companion head, has a single grease fitting and i also lube the pivoting point shafts to keep them from galling up.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's Fulltimers - Location - Currently La Grange Texas
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, Pin Weight 3550#, Avg Loaded Weight 15,500#, MorRyde RPB72-1621 pin Box, TST-507-TPMS, Centramatic Wheel Balancers
    2018 Ram 3500, Laramie Longhorn Southfork, 6.7L CTD, 4x4, 220a Alt, Exh Brake, AISIN 6sp Auto, CC, LB, DRW, 3.73 gears, 5th Wh Prep, Payload 5,390#, B&W Companion RVK3600 Texas Class A Non-CDL Exempt Drivers License

  5. #5
    Fireside Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    60
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something else to look at, is the Reese Goosebox. If you have a gooseneck ball in your truck, then all you will be dealing with is the ball when you want to use the bed. Seeing more people going to it.
    2019 RAM 3500 SRW SB 6.7 HO
    2021 GD 320G (on order)

  6. #6
    Setting Up Camp
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    38
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
    Something else to look at, is the Reese Goosebox. If you have a gooseneck ball in your truck, then all you will be dealing with is the ball when you want to use the bed. Seeing more people going to it.
    I wondered about the Goosebox. Saw a chap at our State Park using one to tow a Solitude 345GK. Somehow it didn’t seem heavy or powerful enough to work but he said it was fine.

  7. #7
    Fireside Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    60
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe there is a 16K, and a 20K one. They have an airbag in them for dampening, and they are approved by Lippert for use on the trailer. Of course Reese and Lippert have an agreement between them. There is also another one called Gen-Y, that is pretty good. If I had a long bed, I would be using the Reese, although I have heard a number of people with short beds using them. I am not comfortable with them due to my short bed, and the angle to get my trailer into my driveway.
    2019 RAM 3500 SRW SB 6.7 HO
    2021 GD 320G (on order)

  8. #8
    Setting Up Camp
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    38
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
    I believe there is a 16K, and a 20K one. They have an airbag in them for dampening, and they are approved by Lippert for use on the trailer. Of course Reese and Lippert have an agreement between them. There is also another one called Gen-Y, that is pretty good. If I had a long bed, I would be using the Reese, although I have heard a number of people with short beds using them. I am not comfortable with them due to my short bed, and the angle to get my trailer into my driveway.
    I’ll look into it for sure - thanks!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

DISCLAIMER:This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Grand Design RV, LLC or any of its affiliates. This is an independent site.