User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weight rating of hitch

Hi all. I’m new to both towing and fifth wheels, and hoping for recommendations on a hitch for the Solitude 310GK, 15,000lb GVWR. TV is an F350 SRW LB so won’t need a slider. Can’t find info on what weight rating I need on the hitch - 16,000? 20,000? Or higher? I have a payload capacity of 4,011 lbs, and with the trailer’s pin weight of around 3,000lbs, and truck cargo weight of around 450lbs I do have capacity for the heavy models. Truck comes prepped with pucks. Any recommendations?
    Thanks!

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the 310GK, I would recommend an 18K hitch. 20K is overkill and would be heavier. If you have the 8K axles with 17.5" load range H tires, I believe the GVWR for the trailer is 18K, anyway.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I absolutely love my B&W Companion hitch....American made Quality and a very solid and well made hitch. I have the Companion 25K model, but that is because the regular Companion (20K) just isn't quite big enough in my opinion for my Momentum 394 that has a GVWR of 20,000 lbs. If I were you, I would go with the 20K Companion....unless of course you are planning on upgrading the trailer to a larger model at some time in the future.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pippamills View Post
    Hi all. I’m new to both towing and fifth wheels, and hoping for recommendations on a hitch for the Solitude 310GK, 15,000lb GVWR. TV is an F350 SRW LB so won’t need a slider. Can’t find info on what weight rating I need on the hitch - 16,000? 20,000? Or higher? I have a payload capacity of 4,011 lbs, and with the trailer’s pin weight of around 3,000lbs, and truck cargo weight of around 450lbs I do have capacity for the heavy models. Truck comes prepped with pucks. Any recommendations?
    Thanks!
    5th wheel towing is great! Many hitches are available and everyone likes what they have. We are using the non slider companion hitch. Our RV has a GVWR of 16,800 and its weight by the scales is right around 15,500, we are using the companion Ram puck 18K hitch and it works very well with the MORryde pin box. Our hitch never comes out of the truck bed. I just did maintenance on the companion head, has a single grease fitting and i also lube the pivoting point shafts to keep them from galling up.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something else to look at, is the Reese Goosebox. If you have a gooseneck ball in your truck, then all you will be dealing with is the ball when you want to use the bed. Seeing more people going to it.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
    Something else to look at, is the Reese Goosebox. If you have a gooseneck ball in your truck, then all you will be dealing with is the ball when you want to use the bed. Seeing more people going to it.
    I wondered about the Goosebox. Saw a chap at our State Park using one to tow a Solitude 345GK. Somehow it didn’t seem heavy or powerful enough to work but he said it was fine.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe there is a 16K, and a 20K one. They have an airbag in them for dampening, and they are approved by Lippert for use on the trailer. Of course Reese and Lippert have an agreement between them. There is also another one called Gen-Y, that is pretty good. If I had a long bed, I would be using the Reese, although I have heard a number of people with short beds using them. I am not comfortable with them due to my short bed, and the angle to get my trailer into my driveway.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
    I believe there is a 16K, and a 20K one. They have an airbag in them for dampening, and they are approved by Lippert for use on the trailer. Of course Reese and Lippert have an agreement between them. There is also another one called Gen-Y, that is pretty good. If I had a long bed, I would be using the Reese, although I have heard a number of people with short beds using them. I am not comfortable with them due to my short bed, and the angle to get my trailer into my driveway.
    I’ll look into it for sure - thanks!