User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question about using new 2500 to tow a half ton 278BH Reflection 150 series

I purchased a 2021 Chevy High Country Diesel 4x4 2500 pickup and looking to haul a half ton 278BH fifth wheel. Any issues with truck bed clearance and getting fifth wheel level? I am reading that some people are modifying there truck suspension or fifth Wheel suspension for proper fit. Anyone have the same set up?

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2020 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax and tow a Reflection 150 Series 230RL. We use a Pullrite Superglide hitch. We sit level and have at least 6 inches ( if not a little more) clearance from the bed rails to the trailer. Your set up should be pretty close to ours.
    June and Charlie, Kitty Gracie, Puppies Ellie and Ruby, Oklahoma City, OK
    2022 Arctic Fox 22G
    2019 Winnebago 2106FBS Micro Minnie (Sold); 2018 Reflection 230RL (Sold)
    2020 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 6.6L Duramax

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you very much for your reply June and Charlie, Kitty Gracie, Puppy Ellie, Oklahoma City, OK!
    Now I have another question. Is there a reason you chose a superglide sliding hitch on the reflection 230RL instead of using the turning point pinbox with a fixed hitch? Bob Alton, NH

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Bob! We (really DH since I rarely drive) didn’t like the feeling of the turning point when driving. He felt it was a little “loose” when towing. There are those who love it so we tried it unlocked but decided to go back to a fixed position. Our previous truck had a little bit shorter bed so we got the sliding hitch to prevent window blow-outs which we had the misfortune of experiencing with a previous 5th wheel. Plus, our previous hitch was a lower end model and it was hard to secure the king pin sometimes so we were in the market for a new hitch when we bought the 230RL. That may be more info than you wanted! LOL! But, if you have other questions let us know!
    2022 Arctic Fox 22G

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again for the info. I am new to fifth wheel towing. I heard that if the turning point pinbox is not bolted fixed it needs to be greased each "season" which seems like a drawback. Also understand that a certain type of wedge needs to be used which I am trying to get info on. A sales person at a local dealer told me that a non sliding fixed hitch will allow for a 83 degree turn with the turning point pin box in the fixed position on the half-ton Reflection! So he says you don't need to use the turning point pinbox feature or a sliding hitch! Do you agree with this sales person that there is enough clearance so no need to be concerned about window blow-outs based on your experience?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Dan View Post
    Thanks again for the info. I am new to fifth wheel towing. I heard that if the turning point pinbox is not bolted fixed it needs to be greased each "season" which seems like a drawback. Also understand that a certain type of wedge needs to be used which I am trying to get info on. A sales person at a local dealer told me that a non sliding fixed hitch will allow for a 83 degree turn with the turning point pin box in the fixed position on the half-ton Reflection! So he says you don't need to use the turning point pinbox feature or a sliding hitch! Do you agree with this sales person that there is enough clearance so no need to be concerned about window blow-outs based on your experience?
    Didn't like the Turning Point for my setup, so it's locked out. Plenty of space to turn and back up while locked out.
    2021 GD Reflection (150) 5th Wheel 268BH
    2019 F250 Gas 6.2L V8 FX4 Crew Cab
    PullRite 2100 20K Hitch w/ LOCKED OUT Turning Point
    2x Honda EU2200i Generators & 1UP Bike Rack & Roll-N-Lock Bed Cover
    Previous Setup:
    2017 Outdoors RV 23BHS
    2017 F150 Sport 3.5L V6 EcoBoost

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Dan View Post
    I purchased a 2021 Chevy High Country Diesel 4x4 2500 pickup and looking to haul a half ton 278BH fifth wheel. Any issues with truck bed clearance and getting fifth wheel level? I am reading that some people are modifying there truck suspension or fifth Wheel suspension for proper fit. Anyone have the same set up?
    Btw, I'm not using a slider hitch either. Fixed is just fine for my setup.
    2021 GD Reflection (150) 5th Wheel 268BH
    2019 F250 Gas 6.2L V8 FX4 Crew Cab
    PullRite 2100 20K Hitch w/ LOCKED OUT Turning Point
    2x Honda EU2200i Generators & 1UP Bike Rack & Roll-N-Lock Bed Cover
    Previous Setup:
    2017 Outdoors RV 23BHS
    2017 F150 Sport 3.5L V6 EcoBoost

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bob - the Chevy beds starting in 2020 are 6 inches longer than the previous model Silverado. Based on our experience, that extra few inches would most likely have saved us but you need to consider where you will be camping, if you will have difficult campsites to back into, and enough spotters. When we blew the window, we were fairly new to towing, had a really difficult site, and could have used one more spotter. Yes, you have to use a wedge with the turning point that is compatible with your hitch, and also with the slider hitch. When hooking up with a wedge, you have to be almost straight on which can add to the challenge of hooking up, but is completely doable.

Something to consider with a wedge is that if you take your camper to a dealer, you will have to remove the wedge and lock out the turning point so that the dealer’s equipment can pick up the camper. You then have to reposition the wedge and unlocked the turning point before leaving the dealer. While using the turning point unlocked, we took it to the dealer for service and when picking it up, the dealer left the bolts sticking out on the king pin where the wedge would go and the bolts damaged our old hitch when we turned - didn’t realize it until we got home. We had left it in the locked position to go home and put the wedge back in the correct place and unlock the turning point.

Hope this answers your questions but if you have more, just let us know!
    2022 Arctic Fox 22G

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Out of curiosity, what is your payload on that high country? I read that Chevy still keeps it in the high 3k range. Sadly the Ram diesel 2500 is only 2000ish.