User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nogrey View Post
    Owned that unit for exactly one camping trip. I bought it through Amazon because of the reviews. All I can say is that I got the one the negative reviews talk about. Filled with fresh fuel, had the battery fully charged and they give you the oil to fill it with, so was good to go. When I went to use it the first time, the remote worked fine, and the starter tried several times to start it but she wouldn't fire. Went outside and ended up using the pull cord. After 25 or so pulls it finally started. I figured that would be it and we'd be good after that. I let it run long enough to charge my batteries in the RV and make coffee. That evening it was the same thing all over again. Worst thing was, we needed it in the middle of the night to run the furnace as we forgot to charge the RV battery the last evening. I tried the remote start from bed, same thing. Would not start. At 3 AM I was out there trying the pull cord again. Must have been too cold. It would not turn over. I should mention that we were boon docking so not disturbing anyone. Packed up and returned to Amazon. Granted, just my one experience but not a good one at all.
    I had a similar experience, but discovered that there is a common problem with these generators - apparently during shipping & handling a small wire that controls the automatic choke can come loose. This is what happened to mine. Once I plugged it back in the unit fired right up.

Here's a link to a service bulletin I found:https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect...d360811424.pdf
    2020 Grand Design 230 RL
    2019 Ford F-250 6.7L Diesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MJMCCAND View Post
    I had a similar experience, but discovered that there is a common problem with these generators - apparently during shipping & handling a small wire that controls the automatic choke can come loose. This is what happened to mine. Once I plugged it back in the unit fired right up.

Here's a link to a service bulletin I found:https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect...d360811424.pdf
    That's interesting, thanks for sharing. I looked and couldn't find a date on when that bulleting was released. I ordered my 4500 watt unit in June 2019 and received it in Sept, 2019. Mine would start with the front panel start button but not with the remote start. While troubleshooting mine over the phone with technicians for a couple of hours they finally sent me a new controller board, but that didn't fix the problem. Changing the batteries in the remote is what fixed it for me. Boy, there was such a huge backlog when these units were introduced and then having a "shipping" defect like this right from the get-go must have been pretty damaging to their marketing campaign.
    Dustin and Doris

2018 2600RB
    2016 Tundra: 5.7L with towing package.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by toolman.dustin View Post
    Discovered that when you run your propane heat, the blower motor runs on 12volts. So even if you have propane, when the battery dies you get very cold. The generator would have made a HUGE difference on that trip.
    Could you not charge the battery using your truck?
    Rusty & Cathy
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2016 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab Long Bed 4WD 6L
    Husky 32217 Centerline WDH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good question!

Quote Originally Posted by RustyCas View Post
    Could you not charge the battery using your truck?
    That's a good question. I don't really know. I've seen this discussed several times on the various RV Forums I monitor. Some say the truck can "somewhat" charge the batteries while driving. The wire running from the truck to the RV is not very large, maybe 16 gauge. Compare that to the 6 gauge wire running from my RV battery charger pumping out 45 amps when it kicks on to charge the batteries. I just doubt the truck could keep the batteries charged in that situation. But, it could buy some time. I remember thinking about the Apollo 13 mission. They weren't worried about running out of water, food, fuel or oxygen. They were concerned about running out of battery. When the battery goes the mission is over.

Starting the truck crossed my mind but, I didn't try. I wasn't really concerned about freezing, I was concerned about the plumbing. I didn't think the truck charging could keep up and I was also concerned about carbon monoxide since the truck would be idling about five feet from the bedroom. I have two deep cycle lead/acid batteries and I think they are normally charged with a little over 14 volts and read 12.7 when fully charged. You're not really supposed to let them go below 50%, and I got way below that before I quit. It was about 20 degrees F and the wind was really blowing. At that temperature deep cycle batteries charge very slowly. I don't really know how to answer the question. But, I'm going to look into it.

The propane heater/blower was coming on about every 15 minutes and run for maybe 8 minutes and I was only trying to hold 50 degrees. After I shut off the heater/blower (to save the batteries) I just used the kitchen stove to provide some heat. And it did a good job in the living area, but not the bedroom. The 3" heater line that runs from heater/blower in the rear of the trailer to the bedroom is probably 35 feet long and by the time it gets to the bedroom there's very little air that comes out of it. I had the corrugated bottom off the trailer last week and I purposely inspected the heating line to see if it was broken or kinked. It's fully intact and it just runs out of air pressure by the time it gets to the bedroom. But, it is also run along side the plumbing lines. So wherever there's plumbing it's laying right next to those lines. So I suppose that close association is what's supposed to keep the plumbing from freezing as long as the propane heater is running.

I know I haven't answered your question. Maybe someone else has actually taken some measurements and tested how effective the truck is at charging the RV batteries. I would certainly like to see some real data and not speculation.

Dustin
    Dustin and Doris

2018 2600RB
    2016 Tundra: 5.7L with towing package.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My truck gives me 20 amps thought the plug...

If I really want to charge the 2 GC2 batteries, I put jumper cables on them from the truck battery...

Sent from my LM-G900 using Tapatalk
    2021 Transcend 261bh
    2021 Ford F-150 3.5eb

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I might add that this is why I use 2 - 2000 watt gens, one because I can deal with 35 lbs X 2, and when going on "plugged in" camping, I carry one just in case. Small suitcase Gen is easy to store and carry.
    2021 GD 260RD
    2012 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7L

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    IGEN4500 is gas only. IGEN4500DF is the dual fuel unit. The DF is back ordered everywhere now expected to be available around July.
    I just checked and the IGEN4500DF is now available at Lowes.
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Westinghous...art/5001579117
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The price is way better than the Onan.
    Have any Solitude onwers tried fitting one of these into the generator bay - curious if it even fits.
    Our 310 is gen-prepped for the Onan but don’t feel like paying for one!
    I could always keep it in the truck bed, but the weight could be a pain bringing it in & out.

Thanks!
    Colin & Tracy
    '21 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ/Z71/SRW, Long bed, Anderson UH
    '21 Solitude 310 GK-R

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spent the month of June with ours mounted up front. Ran it on propane only. Love it. It needs it's first oil change and that will be the only reason it gets dismounted.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0135.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	35231
    2020 Imagine 2450RL born 7/2019 Anderson hitch
    2007 Tundra 5.7 with tow package and RAS
    Both retired - still have our S&B
    US Army vet (Air Cav baby!) Gulf war combat veteran

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Price with Veteran Discount at Lowes:

ORDER SUMMARY
    Item Subtotal (1) $1,099.00
    Shipping FREE
    Military Discount
    -
    $109.90 Taxes calculated at checkout

Add Promotional Code
    Total $989.10
    You Saved $109.90
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123