Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sanitizing water system

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scan+19+Oct+2019+11_34.pdf 
Views:	47 
Size:	3.35 MB 
ID:	23151

I’m having trouble following the process in my manual. Steps 1-7 make sense, but what’s the deal with step 8? The tank is closed off and there isn’t a water source hooked up.

It seems to me that 1-7 and 9 are filling the pipes and fixtures with a chlorine solution. Then starting with step 10, you fill the freshwater tank with chlorine and water. Step 8 seems completely out of place.
    Last edited by jkwilson; 10-19-2019 at 10:35 AM.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are on well water at out home and we add a very small amount of Clorox to fresh water tank; 1 or 2 tablespoons is enough. If you really what to sanitize use more Clorox(1/4 cup), run water through lines and then drain fresh water tank. If you are on city water you may already have enough chlorine in your water.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And note - you have to use real bleach, not the splashless variety.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Sanitizing water system

I used the Nautilus system set to sanitize and it sucked up about a quarter cup of chlorine bleach.
    Then I filled the fresh tank about 1/3 full and we drove to our next campground where I dumped the water. Then I filled it back to 1/3 and we drove to the next campground and I dumped it again. Then I filled it and we used that water.
    That first tank full did smell a little like bleach but not since then and we also have a large water filter and a water softener.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Steps 1-7 are about sucking slightly diluted bleach water into your fresh water tank. Step 8 should be clearer that you then need to finish filling your tank with more fresh water, to dilute the bleach down further to an effective, but safe, level. THEN you start pumping the dilute bleach water to all the faucets/fixtures (don't forget outside spray ports, and even briefly open low point drains, etc.) to get bleach water everywhere. Then let it all sit. Drain. Refill with fresh and rinse.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 52 gallon fresh water tank. After I mix the 3+ gallons of bleach solution to the tank, do I then fill the tank completely before flushing the system?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Short answer - yes.

Premixing lowers the concentration somewhat to avoid any potential "too strong" damage to the plumbing system and aid in further mixing/dilution when you fill the tank. The final mix that happens after you completely fill the tank is enough to do the job, but not be harmful if someone accidentally uses the water in the system for washing or drinking. It will smell, but not be something to worry about. Pretty much swimming pool water at that point.
    Tip: drain your hot water heater, and then plug it again, before pumping the bleach water through the system. When flushing, again first drain/replug the heater (I also open all the low point drains and the water tank drain to make sure every thing is empty before flushing). If you try to flush the hot water side without pre-draining, it can take a LOT of water to get rid of the bleach smell because it slowly mixes inside the heater with fresh, and takes forever to get rid of. Pre draining makes it very fast.
    Many just drain off the bleach water in the main tank, refill and call it done. There will be a very small residual in the tank, but at a level less than some municipal supplies. It dissipates in a day or so on its own. But I do a complete fill and flush just to make sure.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)