User Tag List

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

320MKS Pinbox Upgrade Recomendations (Grand Design Reflection 5th Wheel)

Hello,

I've been reading through different discussions on here about pinboxes, gooseboxes (or something like that), and different ways to connect a 5th wheel. I'm interested in asking, if I want to use my truck bed, but also full time RV and be able to connect up easily with a smooth ride, what would you recommened?

I read about the Morryde system and others like it. Should I bite the bullet and have the dealer install these things before I take possession of the rig, we have it being delivered around end of may.

Thanks!
    Ed & Kaitlin
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    2018 F350 SD Platinum FX4 Crew Cab Short Bed SRW, 55 Gallon Titan Tank, Air Lift 5000.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EddieK82 View Post
    Hello,

I've been reading through different discussions on here about pinboxes, gooseboxes (or something like that), and different ways to connect a 5th wheel. I'm interested in asking, if I want to use my truck bed, but also full time RV and be able to connect up easily with a smooth ride, what would you recommened?

I read about the Morryde system and others like it. Should I bite the bullet and have the dealer install these things before I take possession of the rig, we have it being delivered around end of may.

Thanks!
    We did the B&W Companion Hitch for the Ford puck system. Keep in mind that we have an 8' box. We also had the dealer upgrade the pin box from the solid one that comes on the 320MKS to the Morryde Rubber Pin Box.

The hitch weighs in at around 120 lbs, and the Rubber Pin Box weights a little more than the factory pin box.

I have never used a sliding hitch, so I can't speak to those (that's why I bought a truck with an 8' box).

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless you're a big fella that likes frequent heavy lifting, you're looking at towing goose. The Reese Goosebox is fully sanctioned by Lippert and no debate at all over frame warranty. Then there's the Andersen, and they have their warranty that will take over. Then there's the GenY, which is nice and robust but not blessed by Lippert as last to my knowledge is GenY wouldn't pay for the qualification testing. Now, we have that out of the way.

The Andersen has no dampening involved, both of the others do.

The Andersen has a lightweight, easy to remove base in you bed. The others just have the goose ball.

Others have complained about airing/desiring the Goosebox over simplicity of the GenY bands. I personally, don't understand the issue as it's no more an issue than checking the air in the trailer tires. I also prefer how the Goosebox shortens the moment arm versus the GenY elongating it in consideration of a stock Lippert frame.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Unless you're a big fella that likes frequent heavy lifting, you're looking at towing goose. The Reese Goosebox is fully sanctioned by Lippert and no debate at all over frame warranty. Then there's the Andersen, and they have their warranty that will take over. Then there's the GenY, which is nice and robust but not blessed by Lippert as last to my knowledge is GenY wouldn't pay for the qualification testing. Now, we have that out of the way.

The Andersen has a lightweight, easy to remove base in you bed. The others just have the goose ball.

Others have complained about airing/desiring the Goosebox over simplicity of the GenY bands. I personally, don't understand the issue as it's no more an issue than checking the air in the trailer tires. I also prefer how the Goosebox shortens the moment arm versus the GenY elongating it in consideration of a stock Lippert frame.
    is there any downfall to Gooseneck?
    Ed & Kaitlin
    2018 F350 SD Platinum FX4 Crew Cab Short Bed SRW, 55 Gallon Titan Tank, Air Lift 5000.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    We did the B&W Companion Hitch for the Ford puck system. Keep in mind that we have an 8' box. We also had the dealer upgrade the pin box from the solid one that comes on the 320MKS to the Morryde Rubber Pin Box.

The hitch weighs in at around 120 lbs, and the Rubber Pin Box weights a little more than the factory pin box.

I have never used a sliding hitch, so I can't speak to those (that's why I bought a truck with an 8' box).

Thanks,

We have an 8' bed as well and I think I'll have them install the rubber pinbox. Will that work with a gooseneck?
    Ed & Kaitlin

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks,

We have an 8' bed as well and I think I'll have them install the rubber pinbox. Will that work with a gooseneck?
    No, you will need the "Goose Box". A completely different beast than a king pin. Also, don't let the dealer talk you into a king pin to goose adapter. I don't care what the salesman says, in the end, they are not safe. The amount of torsion stress that a configuration like that puts on the pin and the ball is mind boggling.

From personal experience, I have towed goose neck trailers, fifth wheel trailers, and bumper pulls. I have zero experience with a goose box hitch, although I can't imagine they are any different than a regular goose neck trailer.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is there any downfall to Gooseneck?
    This is where it gets confusing. It's not towing via traditional gooseneck. True gooseneck frames are designed a bit differently and true gooseneck is a very rigid, jarring affair - all of my trailers are now gooseneck so I speak from intimate experience.

I'm going to speak directly about the Reese Goosebox. To run it, you need ZERO upgrade to pinbox. The Goosebox REPLACES the pinbox and mounts right into the frame wingset and is cushioned by airbag and dampened with twin shocks. You simply need the Goosebox, safety chain kit, and if your Lariat already has the 5th wheel/gooseneck factory prep, you will need a goose ball and safety chain cleat kit, or if it does not have the factory prep you will need to have something like a turnover ball kit installed.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post

When I want to use the bed of my truck, I just hook up the pin box to the hitch, pull the pins in the bed rail ,lift the hitch up and out of the bed rails with the Lippert jacks and drive the truck out. No lifting required.
    Tim
    2020 Reflection 320MKS, Sidewinder Hitch
    2003 2500HD Silverado Duramax, Sumo springs, Hawk Brake Pads

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indy Tim View Post
    When I want to use the bed of my truck, I just hook up the pin box to the hitch, pull the pins in the bed rail ,lift the hitch up and out of the bed rails with the Lippert jacks and drive the truck out. No lifting required.
    That's awesome! I need to remember that!