Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Telescoping tv cabinet mallfunction-very difficult to close

Does anyone have any info on how to adjust this mechanism?
    I'm concerned I'm going to break something.
    Last night it took 7 tries for it to latch down.
    On the plus side, it's great workout for my triceps
    Thanks

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokulele View Post
    Thanks
    Can you post a picture. It's difficult to know what you have. If it like mine there are bolts that hold the swivel joints and give a friction fit. Also there is a finger clamp attached to the wall that holds one of the arm swivels. This really doesn't do an adequate job so I use a strap with a clamp to pull and hold it tight to the wall. I still on occasion have found the TV has swung away.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    Can you post a picture. It's difficult to know what you have. If it like mine there are bolts that hold the swivel joints and give a friction fit. Also there is a finger clamp attached to the wall that holds one of the arm swivels. This really doesn't do an adequate job so I use a strap with a clamp to pull and hold it tight to the wall. I still on occasion have found the TV has swung away.
    Sorry I didn't explain this very well. This is not a wall mount, but a part of the fireplace cabinet since it telescopes vertically out of the back of the cabinet. I assume I'll have to remove the fireplace itself to get to the mechanism. Thanks for responding though!

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've adjusted the TV mount that attaches to the frame that goes up and down but I've never heard of anybody adjusting the "mechanism" (motor?). Are you saying your TV doesn't fully drop into the cabinet and as a result the lid on top of the cabinet doesn't close completely? Or is the motor not working at all?
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    I've adjusted the TV mount that attaches to the frame that goes up and down but I've never heard of anybody adjusting the "mechanism" (motor?). Are you saying your TV doesn't fully drop into the cabinet and as a result the lid on top of the cabinet doesn't close completely? Or is the motor not working at all?
    If it's like ours, there's no motor. The "mechanism" would be the arms/springs involved with closing up the TV. My husband has to do this, since it's really hard to do. And, often, it takes at least 2 or 3 tries to get it all the way down to latch in position.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    If it's like ours, there's no motor. The "mechanism" would be the arms/springs involved with closing up the TV.
    Ohhhhh, OK. All three of our Grand Design 5th wheels have had electric lifts for the living room TV's. I'm not familiar with the non-electric system.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ohhhhh, OK. All three of our Grand Design 5th wheels have had electric lifts for the living room TV's. I'm not familiar with the non-electric system.
    Well, I don't know what the OP has, but our TV elevator doesn't have an electric lift, so I'm just guessing that theirs is the same, due to the closing issue and ours is also in the fireplace cabinet.
    Last edited by livinthelife; 04-12-2021 at 09:42 PM.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokulele
    Thanks

Sorry I didn't explain this very well. This is not a wall mount, but a part of the fireplace cabinet since it telescopes vertically out of the back of the cabinet. I assume I'll have to remove the fireplace itself to get to the mechanism. Thanks for responding though!

Based on what you have said above, I presume you have an electric lifting mechanism that lifts the TV up from behind the fireplace.

The first thing I would check is for physical impairments stopping the TV from retracting, i.e.: wires or debris of some sort.

The next thing I would do is observe the lifting/retraction operation to see if the mechanism is in some way "catching" on something on the way down (or up).

The last thing to look for is loose wiring going to the motor that drives the lift mechanism.

Let us know what you find.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not motorized. The TV raises up from the cabinet when you pull the lever on the surface of the cabinet. It does so because there is some kind of spring that stores energy when you push down on the lid which is attached to the top of TV mounting apparatus, which flushes up to the top of the cabinet when it latches.
    You place your forearms on the cover about a foot apart and lean down on it to lock it into the closed position. It used to latch after one or two tries. Now it takes several vigorous thrusts with my forearms to get it to catch and it really slams down hard. So it needs adjusting. I'm concerned I'll damage the TV.
    I'm guessing this design is pretty rare.
    I'll check with GD and see if they can direct me to some "how-to" info. Just got back from 3 months in Tucson and it is on my list of squalks that need attention.

Thanks,

Peter

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't looked at ours but it's always been hard to close. It may have a gas spring that I could replace with a weaker one. I did raise the top up so it latches easier.

If you pull the fireplace, take a look at the airflow path. On ours the air intake is on the back side and the only path for airflow was an oversize hole cut in the woodwork for the electrical outlet. I used a 2" hole saw and cut overlapping holes to make a new inlet roughly 3" X 12". And I realized the TV has to be up for airflow to the fireplace.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK