Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fire escape

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fire escape

Ok, we did it. We actually tried escaping from the bedroom window of our 2017 Reflection 303RLS fifth wheel. Wow!! Much harder than we thought. We are 60 and 64, fairly fit and active full timers. The window is small and heading out feet first is tough. We put a ladder outside and we’re sure glad we did. The drop down would have not ended well. Of course, in an emergency we would have dropped; broken bones better than burning. We put a blanket on edge for padding. The practice run took forever; much more than the recommended 20 seconds and we didn’t even try getting the dog out. Of course, we did waste several minutes laughing uncontrollably.
    Knowing how fast rigs go up, we have to modify our plan.
    We will continue to practice, incorporating fire extinguisher use in our drill and maybe try getting the dog out. We are thinking it might be wise to have a ladder set up outside our window at all times. Have to think of a way to secure our recently purchased telescoping ladder from theft. We looked into escape ladders but decided no place to store them and realistically, we would not have time to set one up. Plus, no window sill to hold it up.
    I had a crazy idea (according to my husband!) of putting in a bigger window. The ventilation in bedroom is poor anyway, with just the one small window. Wondering how difficult it would be swapping out for a larger one.
    Anyone else crazy enough to try a practice drill? Thoughts on swapping out bigger window?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m pretty sure if I tried this it would result in a doctors visit shortly thereafter. [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good for you! Pictures Pictures!
    You're probably the only one's that actually rehearsed it!! We bought a collapsible escape ladder for the bedroom. Hook on window frame and through it out. Sits right by the bedroom dresser and window. Wife wanted it but we didn't have the guts to try it! In a true emergency I'm not sure the escape ladder would be worth it, probably grabbing the 4lb bedroom fire extinguisher and get out the main door.
    We did install extra fire extinguishers in the RV and our truck.

But good for you!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1939.jpg  
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    Good for you! Pictures Pictures!
    You're probably the only one's that actually rehearsed it!! We bought a collapsible escape ladder for the bedroom. Hook on window frame and through it out. Sits right by the bedroom dresser and window. Wife wanted it but we didn't have the guts to try it! In a true emergency I'm not sure the escape ladder would be worth it, probably grabbing the 4lb bedroom fire extinguisher and get out the main door.
    We did install extra fire extinguishers in the RV and our truck.

But good for you!!
    That ladder looks really nice. Would you be willing to provide a link to where you got it... or the brand so we can look it up?

Thanks!
    2011Chevy Silverado 6.0 2500HD
    2020.5 (White) Reflection 150 Series 260RD
    Andersen Ultimate Hitch

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You;d be amazed when adrenline kicks in. Super man stories.
    2021 310GK-R - MorRyde suspension and pin box. Sumo Springs. Solar, 7k axles.
    2019 Lance 1062 Truck Camper, 2 slides.
    2021 F350 Lariat DRW 4x4 6.7 diesel, 10 speed auto, 3.55 diff-48 gallon fuel capacity
    2000 F350 XLT HD SRW 2WD 7.3L diesel, 6-speed manual trans, 3.73 diff - Firestone Airbags-Bilstein Shocks. 82 gallon fuel capacity

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YonderAwaits View Post
    Ok, we did it. We actually tried escaping from the bedroom window of our 2017 Reflection 303RLS fifth wheel. Wow!! Much harder than we thought. We are 60 and 64, fairly fit and active full timers. The window is small and heading out feet first is tough. We put a ladder outside and we’re sure glad we did. The drop down would have not ended well. Of course, in an emergency we would have dropped; broken bones better than burning. We put a blanket on edge for padding. The practice run took forever; much more than the recommended 20 seconds and we didn’t even try getting the dog out. Of course, we did waste several minutes laughing uncontrollably.
    Knowing how fast rigs go up, we have to modify our plan.
    We will continue to practice, incorporating fire extinguisher use in our drill and maybe try getting the dog out. We are thinking it might be wise to have a ladder set up outside our window at all times. Have to think of a way to secure our recently purchased telescoping ladder from theft. We looked into escape ladders but decided no place to store them and realistically, we would not have time to set one up. Plus, no window sill to hold it up.
    I had a crazy idea (according to my husband!) of putting in a bigger window. The ventilation in bedroom is poor anyway, with just the one small window. Wondering how difficult it would be swapping out for a larger one.
    Anyone else crazy enough to try a practice drill? Thoughts on swapping out bigger window?
    Before getting any more recommendations from us, I think we need to see a video.
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 RW, Tow Package
    Husky Centerline WDH
    Champion 2500DF, Prodigy P2

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was a discussion here on the forum 2 or 3 years ago. The practice didn't go well for them either.

I bought a 5lb fire extinguisher and it is in the bottom cabinet right next to my side of the bed. I will fight my way to the door, but hope that will not ever be necessary ( for us or you ). KEN

I found the old thread
    Fire Escape Window - Yikes
    Last edited by orbiker; 04-14-2021 at 08:16 PM.
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaTraveler View Post
    That ladder looks really nice. Would you be willing to provide a link to where you got it... or the brand so we can look it up?

Thanks!
    Sure its made by First Alert. We bought it some 2 years ago now when we first got the 5th wheel. While traveling we keep it in the front closet, the wife gets it out and sets it by the bedroom dresser up against the wall, doesn't take up a lot of floor space.
    I think we bought it through Amazon, thats where we almost always get these kinds of things. I did a google search on "First Alert Escape Ladder" and a lot of them came up. Its all folded up in a box, You place the hooks on the window ledge and throw the box out the window and the ladder deploys. We didn't do it that way when we tested it as you see in the picture I posted earlier, so as to not possibly damage the side of the RV.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2585.jpg  
    Last edited by Steven@147; 04-15-2021 at 07:01 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This does make me appreciate having a floor plan with a door in the bedroom!
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    There was a discussion here on the forum 2 or 3 years ago. The practice didn't go well for them either.

I bought a 5lb fire extinguisher and it is in the bottom cabinet right next to my side of the bed. I will fight my way to the door, but hope that will not ever be necessary ( for us or you ). KEN

I found the old thread
    Fire Escape Window - Yikes
    Ken - you are correct. You may recall that Jim (Tucson Jim) and Ginnie's F350 caught fire and burned it and their 337 on the way back from the National Rally a few years ago. Jim then actually posted some pictures and a video on another site post fire trying to climb out the BR window with the ladder referenced in their new 297 TT as I recall. It did not go well - lol !

I think he actually demonstrated this at the next National Rally or a regional one as one of the seminars. Maybe someone else will recall the details.

Needless to say it is a challenging task to figure out a way to hold the window open (as it swings up on many of our BR plans) and then determine the best way to get up to the window, how to exit through the window, etc.

This said, as Sportsdad says, when the event is real, it is incredible what we can and will do.

While the ladder is a good option to consider, we too have a larger (5LB.) fire ext. close to our BR as the OP referenced.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast