User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newbie: How to travel without reservations?

In the process of buying a GD (either Imagine XLS 17MKE or Transcend Xplore 200MK)--yes, we know that it is the worse time to buy, but don't want to wait 6 months to a year when it will probably be better.

Anyway, with campgrounds being full or fuller, how can we travel without making a schedule of when/where with reservations? We would like to pick a direction and stop when/where we want to for as long or as short as we want. Are those days gone too?

Any suggestions/comments welcome.

Thanks

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Texsinbad View Post
    In the process of buying a GD (either Imagine XLS 17MKE or Transcend Xplore 200MK)--yes, we know that it is the worse time to buy, but don't want to wait 6 months to a year when it will probably be better.

Anyway, with campgrounds being full or fuller, how can we travel without making a schedule of when/where with reservations? We would like to pick a direction and stop when/where we want to for as long or as short as we want. Are those days gone too?

Thanks
    It just depends on where you're headed, and how popular an area that would be. I'm a planner, so we tend to have our reservations in place no later than 4 months out from any given date. We also plan long trips, so it's nice to know we have a place waiting for us each night.

I'd suggest you have at least 3 places on your radar, if you're going to chance driving up and getting a site. Be aware that not all places have that many RV campgrounds. You should be willing to risk having to do a dry camping night, if you can't find an actual campground. Join the Elks, some of their locations have camping sites, first come, first served.

The earlier in the day you can arrive (immediately after check out time) you'd have your best shot at getting a site.

And, of course, things are tighter in the southwest, with the snowbirds from up north.
    Last edited by livinthelife; 11-15-2020 at 10:08 PM.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Traveling these days with no reservations could be difficult. It had alread become difficult pre covid but now with the huge uptick in sales it is even more difficult. The best chances are risking state or national forest spots that don't take reservations, first come first serve basis. BUT you will have to be prepared for no power/water/sewer. We learned a few years ago if it is a popular destination spot you need reservations.

These days I would plan about 3 to 4 days out at the minimum
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You probably can if you anticipate these potential roadblocks:

1. Overall popularity of the area, and its high season. Yellowstone in August? Never. Florida Keys in February? In your dreams! Southeast Minnesota in mid Sept? Very high probability.
    2. "Desirability" of the campground. 1/2 day or less from a larger urban center? Odds go down. Pool/"resort" amenities? Odds go down. Plain gravel lot miles from anywhere - probably open.
    3. Weekends/Holidays vs mid-week. Many places on holiday weekends will have a 3 night minimum.
    4. Cost. State Parks or COE? Odds go down. KOA? Odds go up.
    5. Competition vs demand. The only one in the next 100 miles of Interstate? Odds go down. 4 to choose from at the next exit? Odds go up.

Of course, there is a significant interplay between all 5 points.

I generally plan way ahead. But have done it very successfully the other way too. All depends on when, what you are looking for, and how important the stopping spot is to you. And your tolerance for "Geez, we're gonna have to drive another 80 miles or be 80 miles away...."
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We recently downloaded the free app, "dyrt". It shows multiple types of campgrounds from pricey upscale to state parks to municipal and COE and NRD. What I like about it is that it uses an interactive map that shows everything (supposedly) close to you. Many have pictures and reviews uploaded by the users. Just an idea that may work well with what you're wanting. Have fun!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mdanielson View Post
    We recently downloaded the free app, "dyrt". It shows multiple types of campgrounds from pricey upscale to state parks to municipal and COE and NRD. What I like about it is that it uses an interactive map that shows everything (supposedly) close to you. Many have pictures and reviews uploaded by the users. Just an idea that may work well with what you're wanting. Have fun!
    Maybe I'm missing something, but I just downloaded the app and it's only "free" during the 7 day trial.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZMike View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something, but I just downloaded the app and it's only "free" during the 7 day trial.
    There is a Pro Version that costs. I use the free version. I believe the only difference is being able to use the app offline. My free version does everything I need.
    Mark and Cindy
    2021 Imagine 3100RD
    2014 GMC Sierra 3500HD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very good answers so far.

I'd recommend adding the free Campground Reviews website to your list of places to look and find very good campground information
    https://www.campgroundreviews.com/

Also consider joining the Harvest Hosts program. It's a modest annual fee where you'll have access to a growing number of sponsors who will let you stay a night free of charge on their property, usually dry camping. Wineries, farms, breweries and orchards are included in the places you can stay.

An adventure awaits. Enjoy and travel safe.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Texsinbad View Post

Thanks
    I am not full time, so I make a reservation at my destination. When traveling for one or two days I stop at Walmart's or truck stops.
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2020 Reflection 303RLS Sold
    2020 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed
    B&W Companion Slider
    Amateur Radio Call sign WA2TWA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a meticulous planner and I almost never make reservations until the day of. I hate to schedule days and times. But what I do do is preplan.
    Before the trip I lay out waypoints about every hundred miles, then I find three potential sites near each waypoint. I try for one free (Walmart, rest stop, BLM, etc.) one park (national, state, or BLM) and one private (RV park). We keep a printed trip sheet with the waypoints and the names and phone numbers (if available) of the sites. Dailey drives are 1, 2, 3, and occasionally 4 waypoints, depending on what's happening at the time. If we intend to stay at a park or RV Park, we call after lunch for a reservation. There have been times I've been hoping for a nice long hot shower and we ended up in a Walmart lot, but I've never not had a place to stop.

I've started calling the Walmarts as part of the pre-planning, just to confirm they allow RVs. More and more don't.

I use freecampsites.net, recreation.gov, and Allstays.com. I also find state park websites.

Imagine XLS 17MKE and Transcend Xplore 200MK are good choices for freestyle traveling. Shorter is easier and you want to be able to use the trailer with out extending the slide. Its considered bad etiquette at Walmarts and rest stops.

Last bit. It is harder to get spots in State/National parks on weekends. We try to be on the road (free) Friday and Saturday nights and in parks Sunday through Friday morning. Less people in the parks too.
    Steve & Sheryl
    Bucca and Nyx RIP-Tag and Gordon
    2019 Imagine 2250RK
    Ford F250

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast