Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

'21 3550BH & CRE3000 suspension question for 7000 mile journey

Hi All,

I'm getting ready for an epic journey this summer with the family. Basically coast to coast over 6 weeks. We purchased our '21 3550BH in December and have already used it a bunch and put about 4500 miles on her - no issues.

however, I want to make sure I'm prepped as much as possible for such a long trip and one that will take us so far from home. The rig came with the CRE3000 suspension and 7K axles. A few questions I have:

1) Should I look to switch out the axle hangers (probably the shackles, not what is welded to the frame) with the heavy duty ones?
    2) How can I find the specification/part of the leaf springs so that I can carry at least 1 extra?
    3) Is there maintenance to the actual suspension (CRE3000 part, hangers, leaves) that should be done prior or during the trip? All the Solitude manual has is checking the U-bolts, springs and hangers for damage and checking torque. It's not clear to me if there are any grease points on this stock setup.
    4) After changing out components (shackles, leaf springs) does the rig need to be aligned?

Thanks all
    Last edited by steve95628; 04-14-2021 at 06:06 PM.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well - after a bit of research I thought I'd post my findings.

The best way to find the information I was looking for was to get under the rig and take a picture of the sticker on the axle. Surprisingly the part number given was different than on Grand Designs website but did match what they gave me when I called. However, they could not give me any info on the leaf springs, told me to call Dexter.

I called Dexter and they were helpful - gave me the part number for the springs and all the specs in case I couldn't find the exact Dexter spring. Info below.

I also found out the shackles on my rig are the "heavy duty" ones with wet bolts so all good there. And only maintenance is to check torque on the bolts every 6 months (I think that's in the GD manual).

Axel part number: Dexter 9625074
    Dexter phone number: 260-636-5311
    Leaf Spring info: part #072-098-02
    Leaf spring specs: 6 leaf, 26", 1.75" wide, 3500lb spring
    2020 Ford F-350 Tremor - upgraded with Air Lift 5K bags & S&B 60 gallon tank
    2021 GD Solitude 3550BH

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by steve95628 View Post
    Well - after a bit of research I thought I'd post my findings.

The best way to find the information I was looking for was to get under the rig and take a picture of the sticker on the axle. Surprisingly the part number given was different than on Grand Designs website but did match what they gave me when I called. However, they could not give me any info on the leaf springs, told me to call Dexter.

I called Dexter and they were helpful - gave me the part number for the springs and all the specs in case I couldn't find the exact Dexter spring. Info below.

I also found out the shackles on my rig are the "heavy duty" ones with wet bolts so all good there. And only maintenance is to check torque on the bolts every 6 months (I think that's in the GD manual).

Axel part number: Dexter 9625074
    Dexter phone number: 260-636-5311
    Leaf Spring info: part #072-098-02
    Leaf spring specs: 6 leaf, 26", 1.75" wide, 3500lb spring
    On our 2019 3350 RL, also an S Class built in late 2018, there are 14 total, wet bolts on the suspension. Ours did not have the HD shackles so i installed them. the wet bolts should be greased at a minimum once a year or more often if you travel a lot. Our unit has the same Dexter 7000 lb axles but with the Lippert EquaFlex. We fulltime so we usually stay at a campgrounds for extended stays. With each move I eyeball the suspension for problems, like flat springs, but I do a yearly detailed suspension inspection when I repack the wheel bearings checking the springs, hangers for cracks, brake wiring and other components.

Our hangers do not have the "V" clips welded in. We have nearly 5000 miles on our rig, no suspension problems yet except for the right front brake assembly. i do not carry spare axle springs and I do not check the torque on the wet bolts. I do check the torque on the axle 'ubolts 65 lbs I believe. I do carry spare complete drum brake assemblies, I found one of ours had stuck and ground the brakes and brake drum down.
    There is no alignment on these axles or RV trailers in general. Now if the hangers were welded on the frame in the wrong place or the spindle was welded on the axle tube wrong or something like that or if axle has lost its upward arch and the result is a tire starts wearing on the inside or outside, then a new axle is needed. Some trailer service centers may try to re-arch the axle but I don't think that's a good idea. Better to just replace the axle.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 04-22-2021 at 12:43 PM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel