User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gmc vs ford

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    I am surprised that nobody has brought up the CP4 pump.
    I think it's because the CP4 fears are overblown. I was freaked out about it myself. I had a 2016 Denali and two F-350's with the CP4. No problems with any of them. After doing more research than any person should have time for, it appears to me that the failures are caused by poor fuel quality. And more specifically, water in the fuel. Ford made some big changes to their fuel filtration system and that change and the fact that I avoid shady gas stations like the plague, lets me sleep well at night. Well, that and the fact that I never seem to keep trucks for more than 2 years so they are always under warranty anyway

Seriously though, if you have an older truck with the CP4 pump (without the newer filter system) and you pump your fuel from old farm tanks, etc, you should be concerned. If you refuel at high volume stations and drain the filter frequently, the chances of a CP4 failure are very remote.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    I think it's because the CP4 fears are overblown. I was freaked out about it myself. I had a 2016 Denali and two F-350's with the CP4. No problems with any of them. After doing more research than any person should have time for, it appears to me that the failures are caused by poor fuel quality. And more specifically, water in the fuel. Ford made some big changes to their fuel filtration system and that change and the fact that I avoid shady gas stations like the plague, lets me sleep well at night. Well, that and the fact that I never seem to keep trucks for more than 2 years so they are always under warranty anyway

Seriously though, if you have an older truck with the CP4 pump (without the newer filter system) and you pump your fuel from old farm tanks, etc, you should be concerned. If you refuel at high volume stations and drain the filter frequently, the chances of a CP4 failure are very remote.
    I just sold my 2011 CP4 truck last year.(2011 Silverado) yes the odds of ANY motor having a fuel pump failure in a given year are low..... But EVERY motor will have a fuel pump failure at some point in it's life. Fortunantly I won the CP4 roulette game, getting rid of mine before it failed. I did have a warranty almost to the end of my owning it though (Geico Mechanical breakdown) For the las few months while waiting for my new truck to arrive, I was without coverage. I was very aware that every time I started it up, could be the time it failed. There is absolutely no warning,,,, it just quits.
    As for the cause.... water will hurt any pump. so will other things. And they just wear out. The big issue is not the cause of failure, as all pumps WILL fail. The issue is the carnage that occurs when a CP4 fails.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RAM went from the CP3 to the CP4 in 2019. They had enough failures, that they went to a different version of the CP4 in 2020. Still having failures, they went back to the CP3 in 2021. There is a rumor that RAM will be doing a recall on the 19-20 this summer to put a CP3 in them.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JFF&KRN View Post
    I know I am going to get a lot of opinions, favorites etc. I have been a GM owner for years. I am working on upgrading trucks, again. I went from the 2010 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas with 3:73. I bought a 2019 Chevy Silverado 6.0 gas with 4:10. I did gain some power when pulling the hills, outside of Phoenix to Flagstaff. I did also lose mileage, down to about a mile or so per gallon. a little extra time for getting somewhere isn't a big deal.
    So, I know everyone tells me to go Diesel, but, I also understand GM has the new 6.6 with direct injection, and Ford with the 7.3 with the 10 speed transmission, both gas. OH, all have been 4x4 and I wouldn't have anything less. a couple questions: is it hard to fine diesel fuel in the off the beaten path areas, is the cost of about 12 K really worth it if it is also my daily driver. We do about 10,000 miles per year out and about or cross country. at leas one bigger trip, 4 to 6 weeks or so, then about 8 or 10 smaller trips, 3 or 4 days to a week or so. So if any has the experience with switching, towing with both etc. please share your honest experiences and not just an opinion. OH, we tow our 337 at 14000 lb, have it at around 13,500 fully loaded.
    thanks for your help and input. Jeff

-----------------------------------------
    I have a 2016 GMC 2500HD. Open road, empty 22-25MPG. 5th Wheel trailer pull 10-12 MPG (9K# trailer). No problem with fuel availability.
    Tom

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobWNY View Post
    I have a buddy that just had to have that fancy tail gate on his 2021 GMC 2500HD SRW Gasser. After a month he said he wouldn't get it again. It's nice but very heavy and he doesn't use the features all that much to warrant the added cost.
    I have a 2020 GMC 2500HD Denali and I just love that new tailgate. Makes getting in and out of the box very easy. I originally thought it was a gimmick but have since changed my mind. I love the Duramax diesel with the 10 speed. GMC really stepped up their game with these new trucks! Truck hardly knows my fifth wheel is behind it.
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, PullRite 16K Superglide, 2022 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jeff & Karen - Our trailer is much smaller than yours; bumper pull at 7500# loaded, so my comparison is limited. However, I did make the trade from gas 1500 GMC to Duramax 2500 GMC in December. We've made one long trip with the new truck and the difference in the driving experience is profound. We encountered some pretty steep hills in NW Arkansas and just left the cruise at 65 mph; the motor handled the climbs easily. Depending on your age, the GM tailgate may be very valuable. The newer 2500 HD's are so tall that I would struggle climbing into the bed of the truck were it not for the new tailgate. If you do upgrade to a diesel, we would recommend ordering a TSD Logistics Fuel Card so that you can fuel in the truck lanes at truck stops on your trip. Much easier than fighting to fit into a lane at the convenience store. The TSD card also provides discounts on the fuel price.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a 2017 F150 5.0 towing a 2021 Transcend xplor 240ML, it was rough going up the hill to Flagstaff. Bought a 2020 F150 3.5L twin turbo with 10spd, had no issues going up the hill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JFF&KRN View Post
    I know I am going to get a lot of opinions, favorites etc. I have been a GM owner for years. I am working on upgrading trucks, again. I went from the 2010 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas with 3:73. I bought a 2019 Chevy Silverado 6.0 gas with 4:10. I did gain some power when pulling the hills, outside of Phoenix to Flagstaff. I did also lose mileage, down to about a mile or so per gallon. a little extra time for getting somewhere isn't a big deal.
    So, I know everyone tells me to go Diesel, but, I also understand GM has the new 6.6 with direct injection, and Ford with the 7.3 with the 10 speed transmission, both gas. OH, all have been 4x4 and I wouldn't have anything less. a couple questions: is it hard to fine diesel fuel in the off the beaten path areas, is the cost of about 12 K really worth it if it is also my daily driver. We do about 10,000 miles per year out and about or cross country. at leas one bigger trip, 4 to 6 weeks or so, then about 8 or 10 smaller trips, 3 or 4 days to a week or so. So if any has the experience with switching, towing with both etc. please share your honest experiences and not just an opinion. OH, we tow our 337 at 14000 lb, have it at around 13,500 fully loaded.
    thanks for your help and input. Jeff
    Jeff,

Good luck with your choice. In preparation of our move from my 2004 Ram 2500 diesel and TTL, to a 5'er, I just ordered a 2021 Ram 3500 dually Longhorn (fell in love with the interior and built the truck around that). It will be August before I see it. You will need diesel for sure. I would go DRW as well. I test drove both Ford and Ram. I just love the sound and feel of the Cummins diesel. We did just purchase a new Ford F-550 last week at work. I picked it up and I am just not a fan of the Powerstroke. I think it is just what I am used to, the Cummins feels like slipping on an old comfortable shoe. The Ford 10-speed surprised me. It did have quick acceleration unloaded (I have read that loaded the Ram pulls better), but from a smooth start I was in 6th at 25 mph, and 10th by 35 mph. I did not tow anything to see how the gears are. I would expect the Ford to be slightly smoother shifting. Good luck, as trucks are so expensive, you want to get it right the first time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2020 3500 Denali and love it!
    We have a 311BHS so we have similar weights, the truck tows awesome I love the cameras, also with 2020 and newer there is a tad longer box with the factory pucks also moved back I have had no need for a slider.
    The truck is my daily driver also, yes I don’t park in the spots in front of the doors and have to consider the parkade heights but I love driving my truck.
    I am going to buy 2 20L Diesel jerry cans, more for convenience rather than not being able to find diesel on the road.
    My truck goes in for airbags tomorrow, the 311 squats my truck close to 3” and I want that leveled out.
    Yes you do pay more for the truck today but it is also worth lots more in the future.
    Good luck with your search!
    Kevin & Mary Lynn
    2020 Denali HD Diesel
    2021 Reflection 311BHS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ford CP4 fuel pump bypass kit. It won’t keep the CP4 from grenading, but will protect the rest of the downstream fuel line components.

https://www.thoroughbreddiesel.com/s...p4-bypass-kit/
    Last edited by Rn29306; 04-21-2021 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Can’t spell

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast