Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gmc vs ford

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JFF&KRN View Post
    I know I am going to get a lot of opinions, favorites etc. I have been a GM owner for years. I am working on upgrading trucks, again. I went from the 2010 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas with 3:73. I bought a 2019 Chevy Silverado 6.0 gas with 4:10. I did gain some power when pulling the hills, outside of Phoenix to Flagstaff. I did also lose mileage, down to about a mile or so per gallon. a little extra time for getting somewhere isn't a big deal.
    So, I know everyone tells me to go Diesel, but, I also understand GM has the new 6.6 with direct injection, and Ford with the 7.3 with the 10 speed transmission, both gas. OH, all have been 4x4 and I wouldn't have anything less. a couple questions: is it hard to fine diesel fuel in the off the beaten path areas, is the cost of about 12 K really worth it if it is also my daily driver. We do about 10,000 miles per year out and about or cross country. at leas one bigger trip, 4 to 6 weeks or so, then about 8 or 10 smaller trips, 3 or 4 days to a week or so. So if any has the experience with switching, towing with both etc. please share your honest experiences and not just an opinion. OH, we tow our 337 at 14000 lb, have it at around 13,500 fully loaded.
    thanks for your help and input. Jeff
    Try out the new 2020/2021 GMC 2500HD with the Duramax and the 10 speed Allison. Pulling our fifth wheel the transmission is very smooth in shifting and keeps the engine in the perfect power range. It’s a really smooth combination. When I connect my loaded fifth wheel on, the truck only drops 2” measured at the rear bumper. It’s very quiet inside the cab and the camera system is nothing short of amazing. Big improvement over the previous generation of GM trucks. Personally I would stay away from dual wheels as they are a pain to park and not needed for your trailer size.
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, PullRite 16K Superglide, 2022 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali.

Setting Up Camp north channel novels's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a Ram - Cummins fan, just the same as you are a GM fan. Like Bamaman says in his reply above, if you've got an established relationship with a good GM dealership, I'd stay with GM. They make good trucks too.

In 22 years of diesel ownership, we've never had a problem finding fuel. The only places you might get caught is in older gas stations in downtown areas ... the sort of places where manoeuvring a truck and trailer is often difficult anyhow. Diesels have come a long way since our original 1992 Cummins that sounded like a dump truck both inside and out. Couldn't kill it though. Had to move on when the body began to disintegrate after 18 years of driving over road salt. New diesels are almost as quiet inside the cab as gas trucks, and they sure can pull a load ... with ease.
    2000 Jayco Eagle 243RKS 1992 Dodge 250 5.9 Cummins (retired)
    2013 Puma 253FBS 2003 Ram 2500 5.9 Cummins (Moved on)
    2018 Reflection 230RL 2015 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins (Current)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know I am going to get a lot of opinions, favorites etc. I have been a GM owner for years. I am working on upgrading trucks, again. I went from the 2010 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas with 3:73. I bought a 2019 Chevy Silverado 6.0 gas with 4:10. I did gain some power when pulling the hills, outside of Phoenix to Flagstaff. I did also lose mileage, down to about a mile or so per gallon. a little extra time for getting somewhere isn't a big deal.
    So, I know everyone tells me to go Diesel, but, I also understand GM has the new 6.6 with direct injection, and Ford with the 7.3 with the 10 speed transmission, both gas. OH, all have been 4x4 and I wouldn't have anything less. a couple questions: is it hard to fine diesel fuel in the off the beaten path areas, is the cost of about 12 K really worth it if it is also my daily driver. We do about 10,000 miles per year out and about or cross country. at leas one bigger trip, 4 to 6 weeks or so, then about 8 or 10 smaller trips, 3 or 4 days to a week or so. So if any has the experience with switching, towing with both etc. please share your honest experiences and not just an opinion. OH, we tow our 337 at 14000 lb, have it at around 13,500 fully loaded.
    I've driven Fords, tired with Chevys. I will never accept anything for towing except my Ram 2500, 6.7 diesel. The power, smoothness of operation... Shifting, acceleration, onboard electronics, the tow package has all the connectors and conveniences you'll ever need.

Just go look. I promise you'll be impressed.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
    2021 GD 344GK-R
    PullRite Super 5th 24K
    2006 & 2018 Ram 2500, 5.9 Cummins Diesel
    Wife: Canadian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went thru the big truck decision last year, asking all the same questions, worrying I'd miss something important, etc, etc. But if you can afford the diesel, you gotta get it. Period. No more 'momentum management' for me - the diesel will maintain any speed you want and pull it's way up any hill.

I agree the big 3 all make great trucks and you can't go wrong - as long as you get the payload you need! I settled on the Chevy 2500 Duramax because of the longer 'short bed' and don't need a slider with our 320MKS - I got to 90 degrees two weeks ago so veerrry happy with that. I also got 900 lb more payload over the runner-up Ram.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had 4 GM trucks over 20+ years and switched to a Ford F350CCSD PSD FX4 Platinum in 2017. The first two were 3/4T gassers, then my 2004.5 Chev 2500HD Duramax which I loved and my brother is still driving. I hated my 2015 GMC 2500CCSB Denali Duramax (seats uncomfortable, huge blind spots in the tow mirrors, headlights were useless when raining at night, no air in backseat, cooled front seat blew hot air on knees of person in backset, backseat headrests were for kids, etc). When I started looking in 17 I gave all 3 a shot, but Ford addressed my gripes, was the most comfortable and the electronics package (360 camera, etc) ran circles around what GM had at the time. Yes, the Ford (solid front axle) rides a tad rougher than the GM (IFS)... but it didn't bother me at all. I have since upgraded to the 2019 F450 Platinum PSD FX4 and absolutely love this truck. Yes, it is a Dually, but turns tighter than my previous two Short Beds did and is just a beast. I have no complaints even as my daily driver.

As far as gas vs diesel - I will never drive another gasser. Love the power of the diesel going up hills and no thought to passing - just hit the gas and it goes... even with the 5er in tow.
    2022 Momentum 351M-R
    2019 Ford F450 Platinum CC 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; Truck Covers USA American Work Tonneau; B&W 25K hitch; Airlift 5000 Ultimate+ w/WirelessAir; ZRoadZ back-up lamps
    Gone: 2018 Reflection 28BH; 2017 Ford F350 Platinum CCSB 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; 2015 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB Dmax
    Gone but still in the family: 2004.5 Chev 2500HD CCSB LTZ Dmax

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MechWolf View Post
    I went thru the big truck decision last year, asking all the same questions, worrying I'd miss something important, etc, etc. But if you can afford the diesel, you gotta get it. Period. No more 'momentum management' for me - the diesel will maintain any speed you want and pull it's way up any hill.

I agree the big 3 all make great trucks and you can't go wrong - as long as you get the payload you need! I settled on the Chevy 2500 Duramax because of the longer 'short bed' and don't need a slider with our 320MKS - I got to 90 degrees two weeks ago so veerrry happy with that. I also got 900 lb more payload over the runner-up Ram.
    I agree. The 11,350 GVWR and 3310 pounds of payload and the 6'10" bed of my 2020 Silverado 2500HD made it a no brainer. Especially since when I got it during in May of 2020, I couldn't order a 1 ton or find one anywhere. It pulls my 311BHS like a dream and I'm within specs according to a CAT scale. I don't have a lot of wiggle room but I'm happy. I put a set of Timbrens on just to keep the truck from squatting and happy I did. The bed squats 1.5" and the front end doesn't move one way or the other.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2011 diesel chevy. Its very rare that a regular gas station doesn't have diesel. I previously had a 2002 8.1 vortek gas engine which I really liked until I got the 6.6 diesel which I just love. If you can afford it, I would definitely get the diesel. I think Ford and Chevy are both great trucks.
    1st 5er- 2006 titanium 32/37. current 5er-2021 Solitude 310GKR
    1st camper-2001 Lance slide in
    1st truck-2001 chevy silverado 2500 HD 8.1 vortec-Allison trans. current truck-2011 chevy silverado HD duramax, allison LTZ

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well to all, Thanks for the info and if any more, keep it coming. Over the past week or so, got a lot of information, learned a lot about torque, horsepower, powerband, etc. drove some used and new, that is diesel. i may be narrowing it down to the ford, super duty 250 but i guess what is keeping me right now is the frustration of the changes in the cabs. we like and have the extended cab now, perfect at just under 20 feet, the new stuff, just over 20 feet, so one, it won't fit in the garage, two the back seat area doesn't get used except the dog and the now and then addition of grandkids or an extra person or two for a simple little run to dinner or something. no long trips with lots of people. Ford has the super cab, but can't find them anywhere. they have a couple crew cabs and are doable, and GM doesn't have anything to physically see. so i guess, for those that switched from GM to Ford, are you happy, did it work out for the best, etc., did you do the 7.3 gas or stay with the diesel? etc. Thanks again for your help.
    Jeff & Karen
    Peoria, Arizona

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well to all, Thanks for the info and if any more, keep it coming. Over the past week or so, got a lot of information, learned a lot about torque, horsepower, powerband, etc. drove some used and new, that is diesel. i may be narrowing it down to the ford, super duty 250 but i guess what is keeping me right now is the frustration of the changes in the cabs. we like and have the extended cab now, perfect at just under 20 feet, the new stuff, just over 20 feet, so one, it won't fit in the garage, two the back seat area doesn't get used except the dog and the now and then addition of grandkids or an extra person or two for a simple little run to dinner or something. no long trips with lots of people. Ford has the super cab, but can't find them anywhere. they have a couple crew cabs and are doable, and GM doesn't have anything to physically see. so i guess, for those that switched from GM to Ford, are you happy, did it work out for the best, etc., did you do the 7.3 gas or stay with the diesel? etc. Thanks again for your help.
    Been happy so for with Ford - no complaints. Lots of compliments on the F450... even from the GM guys. I know many guys who got rid of what they towed, traded their diesels in for gassers... only to hate the gasser and trade it back in for a diesel again. FWIW - given the pin weight of a 337 - if you go diesel (~900# less payload than a gasser), I'd go with an F350 for the extra payload.
    2022 Momentum 351M-R
    2019 Ford F450 Platinum CC 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; Truck Covers USA American Work Tonneau; B&W 25K hitch; Airlift 5000 Ultimate+ w/WirelessAir; ZRoadZ back-up lamps
    Gone: 2018 Reflection 28BH; 2017 Ford F350 Platinum CCSB 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; 2015 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB Dmax
    Gone but still in the family: 2004.5 Chev 2500HD CCSB LTZ Dmax

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One more thing to think about. This really became an issue when we had our Class A gasser. It is very difficult to find a gas station with enough space to accommodate a large RV and vehicle. When we moved over to diesel, we found using the truck stops a much more convenient and easier process to refuel. BTW, I prefer the Ford over the GMC. Just moved from a 2019 Ford F350 SRW to a 2021 Ford F350 DRW.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast