User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gmc vs ford

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gmc vs ford

I know I am going to get a lot of opinions, favorites etc. I have been a GM owner for years. I am working on upgrading trucks, again. I went from the 2010 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas with 3:73. I bought a 2019 Chevy Silverado 6.0 gas with 4:10. I did gain some power when pulling the hills, outside of Phoenix to Flagstaff. I did also lose mileage, down to about a mile or so per gallon. a little extra time for getting somewhere isn't a big deal.
    So, I know everyone tells me to go Diesel, but, I also understand GM has the new 6.6 with direct injection, and Ford with the 7.3 with the 10 speed transmission, both gas. OH, all have been 4x4 and I wouldn't have anything less. a couple questions: is it hard to fine diesel fuel in the off the beaten path areas, is the cost of about 12 K really worth it if it is also my daily driver. We do about 10,000 miles per year out and about or cross country. at leas one bigger trip, 4 to 6 weeks or so, then about 8 or 10 smaller trips, 3 or 4 days to a week or so. So if any has the experience with switching, towing with both etc. please share your honest experiences and not just an opinion. OH, we tow our 337 at 14000 lb, have it at around 13,500 fully loaded.
    thanks for your help and input. Jeff
    Jeff & Karen
    Peoria, Arizona

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've not had the newer gas motors, but did have a 2003 F250 with the V10.
    Pulling the flats, either will do just fine. Pulling the mountains of the west, I'll take diesel over gas everytime.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JFF&KRN View Post
    I know I am going to get a lot of opinions, favorites etc. I have been a GM owner for years. I am working on upgrading trucks, again. I went from the 2010 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas with 3:73. I bought a 2019 Chevy Silverado 6.0 gas with 4:10. I did gain some power when pulling the hills, outside of Phoenix to Flagstaff. I did also lose mileage, down to about a mile or so per gallon. a little extra time for getting somewhere isn't a big deal.
    So, I know everyone tells me to go Diesel, but, I also understand GM has the new 6.6 with direct injection, and Ford with the 7.3 with the 10 speed transmission, both gas. OH, all have been 4x4 and I wouldn't have anything less. a couple questions: is it hard to fine diesel fuel in the off the beaten path areas, is the cost of about 12 K really worth it if it is also my daily driver. We do about 10,000 miles per year out and about or cross country. at leas one bigger trip, 4 to 6 weeks or so, then about 8 or 10 smaller trips, 3 or 4 days to a week or so. So if any has the experience with switching, towing with both etc. please share your honest experiences and not just an opinion. OH, we tow our 337 at 14000 lb, have it at around 13,500 fully loaded.
    thanks for your help and input. Jeff
    We have the 2018 F350 with the diesel. As we also have the long bed we have a 48 gallon tank so have not had problems finding diesel well before it gets to a critical stage. We too have had GM for years but felt the F350 towing capabilities and accessories for our needs better at this time. We bought a platinum package and have been happy with it all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kevin & Deb. 2021 Reflection 320 MKS
    2018 Ford F-350 Diesel SRW Platinum
    Kevin and Deb. 50ST8R
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 320 MKS
    2018 Ford F-350 SRW 4x4 Diesel Platinum Edition

[/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ford & 6.7L Diesel

Jeff, your setup is similar to mine, except my GVWR is 15,000# & we travel around 14,000-14,500#. We have put over 35,000 miles on our Solitude over all kinds of terrain (flat land & mountains) from coast-to-coast & would give our Ford 6.7L Diesel a big “thumbs up!” Our truck has done everything we’ve asked of “her” impeccably. I also use it as a daily driver & love the ride & creature comforts. The 48-gallon tank is helpful for our range needs & I have not had an issue finding diesel in those remote locations we’ve travelled. Hope this helps! -Diego

2017 Ford F350 DRW 6.7L Custom Ordered
    2018 GD Solitude 310GK
    40,900+Miles
    "Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself." -Potter Stewart

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since you tow so many times per year towing a fifth wheel, you really should consider switching to a diesel.

Since you've been driving GM products, maybe you have a relationship with a dealer already. I'd suggest a GMC because of better looks and I like that drop tail gate.

I'm a Ford guy, and I still prefer my SuperDuty diesel. But all the Big 3 diesel trucks are fine vehicles and would do a great job for you.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    I'd suggest a GMC because of better looks and I like that drop tail gate.
    I have a buddy that just had to have that fancy tail gate on his 2021 GMC 2500HD SRW Gasser. After a month he said he wouldn't get it again. It's nice but very heavy and he doesn't use the features all that much to warrant the added cost.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your towing use sounds awfully similar to ours. We've pulled various trailers with gas engines and have had a Ford F-350 diesel and now have a GM 3500 diesel. The first tow with a diesel is an "a ha" moment. I used my F-350 for commuting and it was a short commute so I was a bit worried about that, but never had any problems. I bought the GM dually when I retired since I wouldn't need it for commuting into a downtown area of a 1M+ city. Then guess what? My old office asked me to do contract work a couple of days a week. Great, parking a dually downtown. Turns out it was never an issue but they take up a full space edge to edge!

Both the trucks did everything asked of them, were fairly much the same with perhaps the GM needing a tad more visits to the shop (2-3 recalls and one DEF pump failure) whereas the Ford was 1-2 recalls and a NOX sensor failure IIRC. One note is that Ford still uses the Bosch CP4 fuel pump in their diesel motors whereas Ram and GM stopped using them.

Our GM has the 36 gallon tank and I carry a 20L container of diesel as a backup. We've never had trouble finding fuel in all our travels. Never really felt the need to have an aux tank but it would be kinda cool to not fill up for 15 hours of towing.
    2020 Solitude 380FL with B&W Companion 20K hitch
    2018 GMC Sierra Denali HD 3500 DRW

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to all who have already responded. I will probably go do a little shopping this weekend, an as a couple of the dealers here locally have both on their lots. 2019, 2020 and of course 2021. for the most part, they are all diesel and I guess I just need to drive them, wish they had a fifth wheel hitch and would let me try it for a weekend, that would help tremendously to make a decision. The only thing so far I am not sure that I like, is the rest of the family picking on me. But seriously, not sure if I will suck it up and buy new. Maybe just a used one to see. Oh, I do already have an auxiliary tank, guessing just flush it before using it for diesel. Thanks again to all, keep those comments coming.
    Jeff & Karen
    Peoria, Arizona

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am surprised that nobody has brought up the CP4 pump.
    All of the big 3 used it at some point. Ford is the only one still using it.
    The CP4 design has a fatal flaw in that when it fails, it sends metal debri thruout the entire fuel system. EVERYTHING from the injectors, lines filter housing, tank etc needs to be replaced. If any debri is left in the system, it can cause the new pump to fail, and mean a do over....
    Bills are in the 10-15K for this repair. I would not own a CP4 pump truck without a warranty.

Every motor at some point will need a new fuel pump. Usually this is a simple, affordable fix. Only on the CP4 is it not.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gmc vs ford

I currently own a 2019 GMC Denali 3500 diesel and I love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast