Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wire routing hardwired backup camera

I have a 2021 Reflection. I had previously wired a backup camera and wireless transmitter on the rear but am unhappy with the results. I am replacing the transmitter with a video wire. I am looking for suggestions on snaking the wire up through the rear wall. I have looked behind a clearance light and behind the stock camera mount and have seen the aluminum frame that the wires are routed through.

I will be running this wire from the kingpin to the rear camera location. Is there a way to snake a wire from inside the coroplast through the back wall to the camera? Is my best best going via the roof? I also am not sure of how to route the wire rearward of the pin.

Any guidance is much appreciated.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am in the same boat with the hardwire, only I just wanted to use the Ford Factory set up so I did not have 2 displays to deal with. I have a 2021 3540 gk-R. I called GD to see if there was a path up through the wall and there is not, the power for the camera is pulled off the side running light and the wiring is just under the roof. SO my new path will be to run through the bottom and come up back wall using the ladder to attach the wire until TadiBrothers gets the 2021 ford interface for the wireless.
    2021 Grand Design Solitude S Class 3540 GK-R
    2021 Ford Super Duty Crew Cab 4X4 DRW 6.7 LWB F350
    Curt A 20 Hitch

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used the solar/satellite "channel" (and I use that term very loosely) to get the Ford camera wire up to the roof then just ran it along the roof to the rear camera location.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Momentum and like bertschb, I used the solar/satellite channel to snake the cable up to the roof from the pass through compartment for my Ford system. On top, I used a gray plastic electrical junction box to cover the hole in the roof. From there, just lay your cable down on the roof and "glue" it down using self leveling sealant. Others have also used plastic pipe to protect the cable; I used wire loom. I sealed everything with the sealant and been holding up good so far. I also left a piece of string in the cable tunnel from top to bottom for any future use.
    2019 Momentum 351M, Disc Brakes, Roadmaster Slipper Springs/shocks
    2018 F-450 Ruby Red
    B&W 25K Hitch
    2015 H-D Road Glide CVO / B&W Biker Bar

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This sounds like a good method. I’ve seen people mention this “channel” several times but I’m not personally familiar with it. Is it following a pipe vent to the roof? Do you have to create your own hole in the roof?

I too am doing this to use the Ford system. I had found a wireless method on the Ford truck forum using an Amazon video transmitter and receiver, then making your own wire connector to tap in to the under bed stock connector. The wireless transmitter and receiver just aren’t well suited for an outdoor application.

Thank you all for the help.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cvest12 View Post
    This sounds like a good method. I’ve seen people mention this “channel” several times but I’m not personally familiar with it. Is it following a pipe vent to the roof? Do you have to create your own hole in the roof?

I too am doing this to use the Ford system. I had found a wireless method on the Ford truck forum using an Amazon video transmitter and receiver, then making your own wire connector to tap in to the under bed stock connector. The wireless transmitter and receiver just aren’t well suited for an outdoor application.

Thank you all for the help.
    On my unit, on the ceiling of the pass through storage was a foil tape that was labeled for sat/solar cables. On the roof, there was not a label but in the general square foot vicinity, I found a soft spot on the rubber where a hole was covered by the rubber roof membrane. I believe there should be a sticker or marker of some sort for the hole but my unit did not have one.

Basically, they used the hollow wall of the master bath as the pass through for cables to the roof. Mine was not a straight shot but it was close enough to fish a rod.
    2019 Momentum 351M, Disc Brakes, Roadmaster Slipper Springs/shocks
    2018 F-450 Ruby Red
    B&W 25K Hitch
    2015 H-D Road Glide CVO / B&W Biker Bar

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent. Thank you for the help. I like the idea of a junction box for future use.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    I used the solar/satellite "channel" (and I use that term very loosely) to get the Ford camera wire up to the roof then just ran it along the roof to the rear camera location.
    Same here, I actually got the idea from Brian, works great! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Roof (2).jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	33445
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hardwired mine thru the attic, but our Transcend is stick & tin so you might not have the same options on an aluminum framed model. Love the results vs a wireless.

Photos and blow by blow on my blog...

http://www.lanehog.com/2021/03/insta...camera-on.html
    Last edited by Lane Hog; 04-17-2021 at 06:51 PM.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lane Hog View Post
    I hardwired mine thru the attic, but our Transcend is stick & tin so you might not have the same options on an aluminum framed model. Love the results vs a wireless.

Photos and blow by blow on my blog...

http://www.lanehog.com/2021/03/insta...camera-on.html
    Looks like a job well done! I hope I have good results as you have had. Thanks for the info.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast