Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: security system

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

security system

We have a 2250rk and will be using it and then leaving it for a week or two or more at a campgrounds and go back and forth to the unit .
    I am considering using the Ring security package with motion, door sensors and cameras but not sure from that point what works best to hook up to a router and then
    WiFi or internet and what others are using that works and can be hooked up to the electricity so that the batteries do not run out before you return to the unit .
    I use two of the Ring Cameras at home and with their app I can see what is going on and get a history of events as well as I could connect it to contact me if an alarm has gone off .
    Suggestions on what others are doing would be great
    Thanks
    Milo

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The internet connection is going to be the biggest obstacle.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya, you'll need a good reasonably stable internet connection. None of the campgrounds I've been to have that though.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rarely even lock my trailer
    I have never found rv’ers to be the burglar type
    YMMV

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe simply safe works over its own cell connection
    2021 Imagine 2800BH
    2017 Flagstaff 831CLBSS - Sold 5/2021.
    2017 F150 Super crew, 3.5EB, long bed, max tow, 1800lbs payload. Pro Pride, prior WDH Blue Ox SwayPro

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by llr2800 View Post
    I believe simply safe works over its own cell connection
    yuuup!!! I kind of line the Simplysafe system idea. I don't know exactly how the cellular system works versus the WiFi, but it's a pretty neat system.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    yuuup!!! I kind of line the Simplysafe system idea. I don't know exactly how the cellular system works versus the WiFi, but it's a pretty neat system.
    SimplySafe has 2 cellular carriers they use. AT&T and Verizon. My neighbor originally had the AT&T communicator and it did not work. They swapped it out for a Verizon Communicator and it’s been problem free.

Different areas require different carriers.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Seasoned Camper more tired since retired's Avatar
    southern Georgia, where gnats rule the world
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just get a big, barky dog and put a sign by the door saying "Please don't feed the dog"
    2020 F-250 XLT SuperCrew 7.3L Blue Ox SwayPro, 2020 Imagine 2600RB,
    1600W Solar w/525AH LiFePO4, Victron 3000W, Road Armor w/wet bolt suspension, VisionWork Camera System, Peplink MAX BR1 Pro 5G Mobile Router,MicroAir EasyStart
    Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ FMCA#489460 Escapees SKP#166379

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use an LTE router to remotely access our rig. Data usage is minimal for checking cameras and receiving alerts. You will need to work through the dynamic IP address challenge however - the public address used by the router will randomly change so you need a way to keep the domain used by the router consistent. There are services that will automatically register the IP every few minutes but then you’ll need a device to run the agent. For this I use a raspberry Pi.

Once you get this figured out it doesn’t matter what security system you use. I use Wyze.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGould View Post
    We use an LTE router to remotely access our rig. Data usage is minimal for checking cameras and receiving alerts. You will need to work through the dynamic IP address challenge however - the public address used by the router will randomly change so you need a way to keep the domain used by the router consistent. There are services that will automatically register the IP every few minutes but then you’ll need a device to run the agent. For this I use a raspberry Pi.

Once you get this figured out it doesn’t matter what security system you use. I use Wyze.

That’s a bit too complicated for the typical user. It’s best to just order a SimpliSafe system. Easy to set up, live person telephone tech support and if you don’t like it or it doesn’t meet your needs send it back. They even pay for return postage.

I’m a tech guy so I do my own security systems. In my trailer at the storage yard I had a MiFi hotspot, a laptop running BlueIris software for cameras, laptop monitored external ip and uploaded changes to dydns.com to handle ip changes, have my own domain through dydns (free for life) and a Honeywell alarm self monitored through internet using an EyezOn box. Events are instantly sent to my phone and wife’s phone via text and email. Cameras monitored through blueiris. The only ongoing cost is the MiFi router.

At both my home and my cabin I’ve installed Honeywell Vista 20P systems with a cellular communicator through Alula https://alula.com/ and redundant IP monitoring through EyezOn The main house has live operator monitoring and the cabin is self monitored. All self installed.

Again, SimpliSafe monthly cellular monitoring is relatively inexpensive. I think it’s about $16/mo. Best way for a normal user.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast