Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
That’s a bit too complicated for the typical user. It’s best to just order a SimpliSafe system. Easy to set up, live person telephone tech support and if you don’t like it or it doesn’t meet your needs send it back. They even pay for return postage.

I’m a tech guy so I do my own security systems. In my trailer at the storage yard I had a MiFi hotspot, a laptop running BlueIris software for cameras, laptop monitored external ip and uploaded changes to dydns.com to handle ip changes, have my own domain through dydns (free for life) and a Honeywell alarm self monitored through internet using an EyezOn box. Events are instantly sent to my phone and wife’s phone via text and email. Cameras monitored through blueiris. The only ongoing cost is the MiFi router.

At both my home and my cabin I’ve installed Honeywell Vista 20P systems with a cellular communicator through Alula https://alula.com/ and redundant IP monitoring through EyezOn The main house has live operator monitoring and the cabin is self monitored. All self installed.

Again, SimpliSafe monthly cellular monitoring is relatively inexpensive. I think it’s about $16/mo. Best way for a normal user.
How do you address the scenario of someone taking the laptop running BlueIris? Other than notifications of motion are you sending data offsite? That would burn through most data plans.