Thread: Broke Awning

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Broke Awning

Not having a good week

So I have my TT at my house and have been working out of it.

Today I opened the awning early and as it started to rain I didn't think anything of it because it was taught and believed the rain was rolling off it.

After several hours of rain, I heard a crash and the front side collapsed.

I could barely open the door to get out of the trailer. The motor was on the ground, the arm still in place, but the cradle tore a bit, rivet snapped allowing the motor to fall out.

The wire connecting the motor is fine, the plug is some sort of quick disconnect.

I got on a ladder, positioned the motor into the cradle and with another hand worked the Compass app the close the awning. Don't ask.

Below are pictures. My goal is to attempt to plan a repair. While the arm seems fine except for a small aluminum tear, I'm thinking it might be possible to bolt, or re-rivet the motor back in place (if it is a rivet)

Any advice is appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0738.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	33434
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0737.jpg  
    2021 Grand Design Imagine XLS 23BHE
    2021 GMC Yukon Denali W/Duramax

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We picked up our 303RLS yesterday. During the walk through they told us that the arm would flex down under weight and the water would roll off. He also said to put the awning in if it rains. Sorry to hear about your misfortune, I will be sure my awning is always in at night, when we are away from the campsite or it’s raining.
    Mike & Linda
    303RLS
    2013 F250 Turbo Diesel Crew Cab

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think of the awning as a sun-shade. If we’re not using it, we stow it. Our previous trailer had a real awning, with heavy legs that you could set under the extended awning and stake to the ground. Never had an issue or concern with that one. This one, not so much...
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by looknow12 View Post
    Not having a good week

So I have my TT at my house and have been working out of it.

Today I opened the awning early and as it started to rain I didn't think anything of it because it was taught and believed the rain was rolling off it.

After several hours of rain, I heard a crash and the front side collapsed.

I could barely open the door to get out of the trailer. The motor was on the ground, the arm still in place, but the cradle tore a bit, rivet snapped allowing the motor to fall out.

The wire connecting the motor is fine, the plug is some sort of quick disconnect.

I got on a ladder, positioned the motor into the cradle and with another hand worked the Compass app the close the awning. Don't ask.

Below are pictures. My goal is to attempt to plan a repair. While the arm seems fine except for a small aluminum tear, I'm thinking it might be possible to bolt, or re-rivet the motor back in place (if it is a rivet)

Any advice is appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0738.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	33434
    On my awning the motor is not held in by a rivet. There's a bolt on the back of the motor that holds it in the tube. All the rivet does is hold the covers in place. If that one bolt comes out the motor will work its way out.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Judging by how it fell and the bend/tear in the aluminum, I'm guessing the bolt was torn out. See hole above.

But if I can get another bolt and washer I can secure it.
    2021 Grand Design Imagine XLS 23BHE
    2021 GMC Yukon Denali W/Duramax

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by looknow12 View Post
    Judging by how it fell and the bend/tear in the aluminum, I'm guessing the bolt was torn out. See hole above.

But if I can get another bolt and washer I can secure it.
    I think the bolt is under that AL cover. It may hahve been left out when built.