User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting Axles replaced next week.

When I picked up my unit last August I felt the drivers side rear wheel looked a little off. I mentioned it as I left after the PDI and the tech said he would note it in my records but it could have just been the way the unit was parked. This July I felt it was definitely off, it seemed to have negative camber. I put a level on the tires and noticed a difference between the front and rears. I assumed it was covered under the three year structural warranty and didn’t want to deal with it till after a big trip out west.

When we returned home from that big trip I noticed the tread was wearing off the inside of that RR tire. I called to make an appointment and the dealer was like you’re out of warranty. I said it should be noted in my records I had concerns. They said nope, nothing there. They said send in pics with a level across the axle and of the tire wear. So I did and GD rejected it as out of warranty and unit was overloaded. The dealer had forewarned me that they would do this and that I would need to call so I did. The guy at GD was nice but said I needed to call dexter. Dexter asked for emailed pics, I showed them my pickup pic, which when displayed at full resolution shows the negative camber if you know what you’re looking for. I also sent pics of the tire wear, the level on the tires with a date stamp, and then a level on the front and rear axles. The rear axle shows daylight under the middle because that axle has sagged and the level is resting on its ends. They emailed me back a few days later and approved repair. They are gonna replace both axles, nice, and they arrived at the dealer a week later. I’ll take it in on Friday.

Any guesses on if there are new brakes?

Hats off to Dexter for standing behind their product even though I didn’t submit a claim till 6 weeks out of warranty. And the GD rep made it sound like they would have helped me if Dexter didn’t. That’s why I’m member if this forum and a happy Grand Design owner.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F7D2338A-AE15-4630-AAF9-5EBC6A5A2F9B.jpeg 
Views:	111 
Size:	385.3 KB 
ID:	30061Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EF6EDFA7-D14D-453E-9227-2CA15C18C3E9.jpeg 
Views:	144 
Size:	385.0 KB 
ID:	30062Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1BC863CF-2403-4DC4-A16C-D157F95E94C9.jpeg 
Views:	126 
Size:	420.0 KB 
ID:	30063

2018 F-250 6.7L Leveled, 35’s.
    2019 Imagine 2500RL, 640w Solar, Lion UT1300s, 3000w Inverter
    CRE3000, Sumosprings

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice, glad you are being looked after.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Likely just naked axles and your backing plates and hub drums will be moved over.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah shucks, I wanted new brakes. I’ve got some timken bearings laying around, I may ask them to swap them with the cheap factory bearings.

2018 F-250 6.7L Leveled, 35’s.
    2019 Imagine 2500RL, 640w Solar, Lion UT1300s, 3000w Inverter
    CRE3000, Sumosprings

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Likely just naked axles and your backing plates and hub drums will be moved over.
    If you have several thousand miles on those brakes and they are performing well you might want to insist they stay on the trailer. If your trailer is only a year old you have virtually no wear on them, and they have proven themselves reliable. I had all four brake assemblies replaced when my trailer was new. 1K miles later I had a total disintegration of one of the assemblies. Since then no problem.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I got new axles from Dexter a number of years ago, they came complete with new brake assy's. It's a cheaper repair that way. Little more material cost, but more than offset by less labour cost.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flip94ta View Post
    I’ve got some timken bearings laying around, I may ask them to swap them with the cheap factory bearings.
    I have no idea what brand bearings are in new Dexter axles. Ive never had a trailer bearing fail on me (other than nev'r'lubes but that's a whole nother story) but others have and often blame the cheap bearings. Maybe they are crappy bearings. Maybe it was poor maintenance. If you do end up changing bearings would you please post up what kind of bearings came off?
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Dexter axles had a mix of bearings. All the same size, of course, but some Timken and most no brands. I'm sure it's a matter of cheapest source when the Dexter purchasing agent is buying for production as things like this are bought by specification for manufacturing and not by brand.

Just installed 8K discs on my 7K axles because I wanted the larger outboard bearings. The Kodiaks (Dexter brand) came with a mix of bearings too.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the same problem with our 2018 model 315RLTS. It was 18 months old and had been towed about 15K miles when I filed my claim. Only the rear axle was a problem and appeared to be bent spindles. Although only 1 axle was bad, Dexter sent me 2 new complete axle assemblies including brakes, leaf springs, and wet bolts and bushings. The parts were free but I had to pay for the install, which costs me $500, and new tires. Overall not a bad deal.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd replace the leaf springs while you're at it. The one that can be see in that pic of yours is looking a little flat. When one of mine on my Solitude got to that point it ended up breaking. I replaced with all with heavier springs.
    2017 Solitude 379 FLS
    2017 Ford F350 SRW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast