Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trailer Brakes Uneven?

I noticed after a long trip that my right side tires, via TPMS, we running about 10-12 degrees cooler than the left. Brake drums on the cooler side were not even warm, while the left side drums were hot, as expected.

The right side brakes were out of adjustment, so I corrected that and tested everything to ensure they engage. All good.

Did a 15 mile test run today, and the right side drums heated up, but they were 35-40 degrees cooler than the left side. 140-150 on the left, with the rights at 110-115.

I see that the main brake wiring goes to the left side first, then is jumped across (through the axle tube) to the right side. Could this "uneven" wiring be causing the left side to grab sooner and stronger than the right? Voltage drop due to splices, etc.?

I will need to get my multimeter out and do some testing, but I am hoping some here might have addressed this.

Thanks!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Voltage should be same on both sides the way their wired. Either bad connection or out of adjustment.
    2021 351MR
    2017 Jayco 377rlbh (sold)

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember reading on here last year that some increase the wire gage of the wire going from the street side to the curb side with great success. I believe they were having issues setting the gain on their brakes controller. They weren't able to lock up the wheels when using the slider only.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    I remember reading on here last year that some increase the wire gage of the wire going from the street side to the curb side with great success. I believe they were having issues setting the gain on their brakes controller. They weren't able to lock up the wheels when using the slider only.
    Makes sense. The splices are pretty crappy looking, and the wire running in and out of the axle tube is definitely smaller than the wire going from the front of the trailer to the first, left brake. I will check voltage on each side at some point to see if there is a drop.

It's a 2019 Momentum 351M, by the way.