User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a 379FL 2015 and never regretted a GM1 ton which I would suggest that you probably will with 3/4 . Your pulling lots of weight so I would suggest that you should be sure and comfortable.
    I am sure majority would agree.

Good luck Be safe

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All I can tell you is have. Chevrolet Silverado, 3500HD high country, which is NOT a dually and it tows our last 5th wheels without any issues.
    We were looking at purchasing a Solitude a couple of years ago, and knew we could tow with no issues. My late husband always stated, anything over 10000lbs, your pushing it with only a 2500, but we saw people tow with them all the time. His biggest comment was “don’t be climbing any mountains or youre going to kill your engine”...so either get a bigger truck or a lighter trailer.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thing to consider: The engine and transmission (diesel) is capable (and the same in 2500 and 3500 trucks) to pull the 18,000 lb fifth wheels.
    HOWEVER, the suspension, brakes, tires, and overall stability is lacking. For me personally, up to 12,000 lbs for 2500, over that, then a 3500 series.
    I have pulled a Fusion toy hauler 19,000 loaded, all over with a 2500 with added air bags, but I never felt comfortable. Always on pins and needles. Power was there, but not the handling.
    Now have a 10,000 lb fifth wheel, and feels like nothing is back there - I keep checking the mirrors.
    Last edited by schoening; 04-24-2021 at 05:11 PM.
    2021 GD 260RD
    2012 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7L

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

31MB weights

Quote Originally Posted by Joe1967 View Post
    We bought a 2021 31MB last summer. I have a 2016 F350 CC short box SRW diesel to pull it with. Always leave home with the freshwater tank full, bikes and rack, 1 teenager, me, wife, dog, and the usual stuff. Rig scaled out at: front truck axle 5,060 lbs, rear truck axle 5820 lbs, trailer axles 9,120 lbs. GVWR on truck is 11,500, payload 3,500 lbs. Truck without trailer, but everything else weighs about 8,600 lbs, give or take. That gives a pin weight of about 2,200 lbs. Rig handles well, plenty of power.
    I tow a 31MB but travel a little lighter than most people. Also use Andersen hitch. CAT Scale: steer axle 4780, drive axle 5460, trailer axle 8260, total 18500 lbs. RAM 2500 diesel provides a good towing experience up and down hills. I have not been concerned at all about being 240 lbs over the 10,000 GVWR on my RAM. Just another data point to consider. The 31MB should be fine with any modern 2500 or 3500.
    2018 Ram 2500 4X4 crew 6.7 diesel
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    Andersen Ultimate hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before I bought my F350, I went back and forth between F250 and F350. Only diesel powered Fords were considered. At the time (7,000 lb TT) we only needed an F250. But, the F350 didn't ride much different, and the cost was about the same. Very happy I got the F350, since two years after we got the truck, we purchased the 31MB. No airbags or other accessories needed, just a fifth wheel hitch. In a few years, we hope to get a 310 GK, and F350 will still have the payload for it.
    2021 GD 31MB; 2022 F350 Rapid Red, Lariat Ultimate Package, CCSB, 4x4, 6.7 Powerstroke, B&W 20K Patriot slider

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being 240 lbs over GVWR is not a big deal, IMHO.
    2021 GD 31MB; 2022 F350 Rapid Red, Lariat Ultimate Package, CCSB, 4x4, 6.7 Powerstroke, B&W 20K Patriot slider

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it were me I wouldn't tow a trailer that size without DWR, some will say yes..it really is a personal safety choice you have to make once you are educated on tow capacities and real world pin weights[/QUOTE]

We concur with the statement above. We pull a Solitude 379FL with an '06 F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, long bed, two-wheel drive. Our Solitude very closely matches the weights and dimensions of the one you are looking at. I spent many nights agonizing over the towing capacity chart that Ford offered for the 2006 model year while we were getting more serious about buying our Solitude. Although all of the dimensions were very close to max, this particular truck just made it within a few hundred pounds in every respect...

However, just because you "can" do something does not mean it is ultimately a good idea. The night we pulled our Solitude to our Florida campsite, a three hour's drive from the couple that made us the deal of a lifetime, the front landing jacks were only four inches off the pavement. The very first thing I did was to install the best airbags I could find. Now, everything levels up nicely with 45 Psi in the bags. But, after pulling for a year or so I started realizing that I needed something more. There was a minor sway issue with our single rear wheeled truck that was controllable, but too squirrely for my liking, especially in narrow construction lanes! But the biggest concern for us was going through the mountains of Tennessee and Kentucky twice a year. Doing the math, our rear truck tires were right at max loading. I became paranoid that I would blow a tire and go off a cliff! Its not like we haven't actually blown three tires on two RV's before, or have we???

We considered upping our F250 to an F350, but, at least in 2006, they were the same truck except for two extra leaf springs, and according to people who know, a small suspension tuning difference. They had the same engine, trans, turbo system, suspension, etc. The single rear wheel F350 even had the exact same axle as the F250! I started looking for options and realized that dually's would solve all of my concerns. Did I mention our truck had been paid for years prior?

I found a company in Royal Oak, Michigan near Detroit that manufactures Dually kits for Ford trucks. They do not increase capacity in any way but they definitely do the two things I was worried about the most. The sway is completely gone, and now I have four tires carrying the same load that was being carried with only two tires. Peace of mind is a wonderful thing...!!!

www.arrowcraft.com

Moral of the story. Having been-there-done-that, whatever you do, do it with dually's. You will sleep better at night!

Caveat: My brother has a 2018 Sierra 2500 Duramax Diesel short-bed. That same year they bought a 42 foot Cedar Creek Hathaway that weighs only a few hundred pounds less than our Solitude. He pulls it all over Michigan and Ohio and has no handling problems or sway. But, he hasn't done any mountains yet either. His rear tires are maxed out like mine were. Food for thought.
    Last edited by fez111; 04-24-2021 at 08:05 PM.
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to add one more notation... Put disk brakes on your new trailer!!!

I recommend Kodiak. Now I can feel the Solitude pull back on the truck instead of pushing it...!
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our first fiver was a 2016 Forest River Heritage Glenn 356QB with a maximum weight of 14k lbs and purchased the truck assuming we would probably upgrade later and wanted to ensure the truck could handle the load. We have driven in different parts of Colorado, Eisenhower Pass, Rabbit Ears Pass, Monarch Pass. I just set the cruise to 5 MPH below the maximum speed I want and the truck maintains that speed around 5 MPH, up or down a pass. No white knuckling or worrying about when it will stop if I have to. This is my first diesel and it does not hunt for gears, even when towing, like any of my past vehicles when cruise control was set. Fast forward to last year when we drove home crossing Nebraska and it was so windy 3/4 ton trucks with fivers were going 40 maybe 45 MPH, some where pulling off the road, I was pulling our newer Solitude at 60-65 MPH, and couldn't go any faster because of traffic. My DW drove home separately with a load of kids and asked me about the wind after arriving home and I asked, what wind? It was so windy it ripped off one of the plastic like vanity covers that cover the top of the bed side on the passenger side, but didn't notice until arriving home. Because of the stability, I wouldn't consider anything less than a DRW. Something else to consider is there is a lot of weight and stopping is just as important as pulling.

Our first travel trailer pulled by a Toyota Tundra always felt like "the tail was wagging the dog" despite the trailer being below the maximum payload but I've never had that feeling with a DRW and fifth wheel setup.

Another time I appreciated having a DRW was when one of the rear tires blew out. I tried getting the lug nuts loose and could not with the included wrench, went to Wal-mart which was the only option on a Sunday and their air compressor was out. Since we were only 50 miles from home I was able to limp back so I could disconnect the trailer and get the tire on the truck fixed. If this were a SRW this would not have been an option. I now keep a 1/2" impact wrench and extension if this happens again so I can get the tire off and replaced.

2015 GMC SLE DRW long bed
    B&W Companion hitch RVK3500
    2020 Solitude S-Class 3740BH

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123