User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Full size fifth wheels like the 378MBS are worthy of a dually 1 ton diesel. At 13,444 dry lbs. weight, a 3/4 ton truck cannot handle that much weight on the kingpin.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ethanwx View Post
    Thank you so much!
    I will look into Reflection instead then. Do you think my truck can tow Reflection 31MB(GVWR 11995 lbs)?
    Great choice with the 31MB. You will be tight on payload but will be fine. Enjoy and safe travels!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Your math is interesting. My 14K Reflection 337RLS put 3,000 lbs. even on the pin and our 15K Solitude 310GK-R puts 3,400 on the pin. Neither has/had a generator or extra batteries. There's no way the trailer the OP is considering will come in under 3,000 lbs. on the pin.

Rob
    I was talking about the reflection 31 that he followed up about. His original was definitely too heavy as posted about 5 posts up. A quote would have made my response much more clear. But if I’m wrong about the 31mb then open to hearing it and correcting.
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ethanwx View Post
    Hi all, I am new to GD forum. We are searching for 5W for a while and love Solitude 378MBS. 378MBS GVWR is 16800 lbs. We have a 2021 GMC 2500 Diesel. Base on the sticker, MAX FIFTH WHEEL HITCH is 18,500 LBS. MAX PAYLOAD is 3,563 LBS. Do you think it will be OK to tow 378MBS? By the way, we love to go to the mountains. Could you guys help with this? Thank you so much!
    My 385 GK has a GVWR OF 16,800, I only had loaded to 15,500 and that put the pin weight to 3,760 which made my former 2013 F-350 over Truck GVWR by 1200 and my rear axle by 650. Obviously fully loaded to 16,800 would have increased my payload even further. Thus replaced with a F-450 and now really like both truck and trailer!
    2021 F-450 King Ranch
    B&W Companion 25k Puck system
    2019 Solitude 385 GK
    2013 F-350 SRW (previous ); B & W 18k Companion Hitch (previous)

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealth13777 View Post
    I was talking about the reflection 31 that he followed up about. His original was definitely too heavy as posted about 5 posts up. A quote would have made my response much more clear. But if I’m wrong about the 31mb then open to hearing it and correcting.
    Confusion cleared up, then.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 11K dry weight on a Reflection 323BHS puts 2K dry weight on the king pin. My older F250 crew cab 2x4 diesel after all our "stuff" is added to the trailer is essentially max'd out.

But you should be able to handle any of the Reflections with your truck. We've got 4 sliders in our bunk house model and have an outside kitchen so we're not suffering. Reflections are the fastest selling fifth wheel on the retail market right now.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Moderator note: duplicate thread deleted and this one moved to Tow Vehicle sub-forum.

Now... as others have said, at 16,800 lbs. GVWR, the 378MBS will put about 3,800 lbs. on the pin when loaded (advertised pin weights are dry/empty). As others have said, this is in dual rear wheel territory and not appropriate for a 3/4-ton truck. With fifth wheels, it's not about towing capacity, it's about payload. You may find this calculator useful:

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-...eight-fw.shtml

Rob
    Rob... I like the calculator, I think.... if I could make heads or tails out of it... I have no idea where to get the info on my particular truck... as well as the RV I am thinking of getting... I can find UVW, GVWR, Hitch Weight on my stats on the RV... is the Hitch Weight the Pin Weight? As far as the truck, it is a 2016 F-250 Diesel 6.7, crew cab with a 6.5 ft bed... in looking at the Ford Specs, all I can find GCWR and recommended Max Loaded Trailer Weight, which is 15,100 lbs So I cannot use the calculator because I cannot find the other values necessary... any guidance would be helpful...

Thx

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboychincs View Post
    Rob... I like the calculator, I think.... if I could make heads or tails out of it... I have no idea where to get the info on my particular truck... as well as the RV I am thinking of getting... I can find UVW, GVWR, Hitch Weight on my stats on the RV... is the Hitch Weight the Pin Weight? As far as the truck, it is a 2016 F-250 Diesel 6.7, crew cab with a 6.5 ft bed... in looking at the Ford Specs, all I can find GCWR and recommended Max Loaded Trailer Weight, which is 15,100 lbs So I cannot use the calculator because I cannot find the other values necessary... any guidance would be helpful...

Thx
    If your truck's specs aren't on the weight sticker on the driver's door frame or in your manual (usually a separate booklet for Ford diesels), get your truck's VIN and plug it in here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/vindecoder.php. There will be a "Tech Specs" tab with everything on it.

For the king pin weight of the trailer, use 23% of the trailer's GVWR for an estimated loaded pin weight (never go by the advertised empty pin weights).

Let me know if this doesn't do it for you.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboychincs View Post

Thx
    Try this one - it is a lot easier to use.

http://towingplanner.com/
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We bought a 2021 31MB last summer. I have a 2016 F350 CC short box SRW diesel to pull it with. Always leave home with the freshwater tank full, bikes and rack, 1 teenager, me, wife, dog, and the usual stuff. Rig scaled out at: front truck axle 5,060 lbs, rear truck axle 5820 lbs, trailer axles 9,120 lbs. GVWR on truck is 11,500, payload 3,500 lbs. Truck without trailer, but everything else weighs about 8,600 lbs, give or take. That gives a pin weight of about 2,200 lbs. Rig handles well, plenty of power.
    2021 GD 31MB; 2022 F350 Rapid Red, Lariat Ultimate Package, CCSB, 4x4, 6.7 Powerstroke, B&W 20K Patriot slider

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast