User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Upi441 View Post
    NEED ADVICE
    New travel trailer after looking at following specs do I need to upgrade to a Ram 2500? If so would you get Turbo Diesel or 6.4 gas? Any advice would help me out.

Thanks
    Karen Baker

2021 Ram 1500 5.7 hemi Etorque Axle Ratio 3.92
    GVWR – 6900
    Payload – 1760
    Base weight -total – 5136
    Front – 2983
    Rear – 2153
    GAWR –
    Front – 3700
    Rear - 4100
    CTCWR – 17000
    MAX TRAILER WEIGHT – 11,370

2021 Grand Design 2970RL
    Length = 34 feet
    Dry Weight – 7397
    Payload – 1598
    GVWR – 8995
    Hitch Weight - 751

Equalizer sway/distribution hitch
    I will tell you we had the 2950RL version of this trailer. GD did some changes to the bedroom and bath then renamed it 2970RL. Its a heavy trailer. We towed ours with a Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins diesel using an Equalizer hitch with 1400 pound bars. I would not have towed it with any 1/2 ton truck.
    Our 2950RL had the front and rear AC units. With the front AC unit it will put more weight on the hitch. As built the GD weight document listed our tongue weight as 902 pounds. The tongue weights are dry weights meaning no propane or battery. Our loaded tongue weight was right at 1000 pounds to start off. Another thing you need to take into account is the fresh water holding tank is right up front, essentially right under the bed, just back from the hitch. Filling the fresh water holding tank will put another 200 pounds on the hitch weight. So fully loaded and ready to camp we were always pushing 1400 pounds tongue weight. So you need to get at a minimum a hitch to handle 1400 pounds.

Most 1/2 ton pickup hitch receivers are only basic class 4, good up to 1000 pounds with weight distributed hitch so you start out way over weight on the truck hitch receiver. Our Ram 2400 hitch receiver was like this even on a 3/4 ton so I upgraded to a Curt class 5 hitch receiver. Then too a lot of 1/2 ton pickups have passenger rated tires meaning the tire size starts with "P" and not "LT". This makes the ride better, softer and more like a car but they "P" rated tires are lousy tires for pulling a trailer. The side wall is too flexible, not stiff enough. So whatever truck you tow with make sure it has "LT" light truck tires.

The picture I attached was my tongue weight scale with the storage compartment empty, full propane, battery and the fresh water tank full. I give you this information so you can make an informed decision. This kind of tongue weight, not to mention the total trailer weight, is very high for a 1/2 ton pickup.

Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1628.jpg  
    Last edited by Steven@147; 04-21-2021 at 07:05 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone, well not everyone, talks about "tongue weight" as measured by a tongue weight scale. Maybe I am missing something here, but my many years of experience tell me that once your weight distributing hitch is adjusted and hooked up correctly, the weight gets DISTRIBUTED, does it not? Case in point from running my 1/2 ton with a 2970RL hooked up, I gained 820 pounds on drive axle and lost 20 lbs on front axle on a CAT scale. I don't care what my "tongue weight" is unhooked because it doesn't matter unless I pull without a wdh connected and correctly set. I think some get caught up in the minutia and don't see the whole picture. I am still under all the parameters for weight and my 1/2 ton pulls this trailer fine. Is a bigger heavier truck better? Probably for some especially with little or no experience but at that point you have to ask yourself if the rig you have or are considering is out of your talent level. There are alot of people getting into RVing now that need some time under the wheel to get comfortable, as well as some that shouldn't be doing it to begin with.
    2019 F150 4x4 screw sb with max towing
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    2 many former rigs to list.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone pulling a 34 foot travel trailer behind a half ton truck is more of a man than I will ever be : )
    2021 GD 31MB; 2022 F350 Rapid Red, Lariat Ultimate Package, CCSB, 4x4, 6.7 Powerstroke, B&W 20K Patriot slider

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you lol
    2021 Imagine 2970RL

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pulling a 2021 2500RL with the 6.4 Hemi 2500 Ram. It’s about 8000 fully loaded just a short amt less than yours.
    Today I was driving in wind of 20+ with a Blue Ox and it was very steady. I felt the gusts but no danger or white knuckle.

It has plenty of power and it’s payload is set at 3300 lbs. I’m not sure the 1500 would have been a similar ride. I opted for the gasser as the diesel was $9000 more and 500 lbs payload less. Besides most turbochargers need replacing at the 125,000 mark to the tune of 3k-$4k.
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobnColo View Post
    Everyone, well not everyone, talks about "tongue weight" as measured by a tongue weight scale. Maybe I am missing something here, but my many years of experience tell me that once your weight distributing hitch is adjusted and hooked up correctly, the weight gets DISTRIBUTED, does it not? Case in point from running my 1/2 ton with a 2970RL hooked up, I gained 820 pounds on drive axle and lost 20 lbs on front axle on a CAT scale. I don't care what my "tongue weight" is unhooked because it doesn't matter unless I pull without a wdh connected and correctly set. I think some get caught up in the minutia and don't see the whole picture. I am still under all the parameters for weight and my 1/2 ton pulls this trailer fine. Is a bigger heavier truck better? Probably for some especially with little or no experience but at that point you have to ask yourself if the rig you have or are considering is out of your talent level. There are alot of people getting into RVing now that need some time under the wheel to get comfortable, as well as some that shouldn't be doing it to begin with.

I don't want to get into a debate on what is safe to tow and what's not, but I would like to clear up what a weight distribution hitch does. A weight distribution hitch works to distribute some of the tongue weight of a trailer up to the front axle of the tow vehicle so that it will sit more level and handle/brake better. That being said the weight distribution hitches do not "reduce" tongue weight or allow you to tow beyond the capacities of the vehicle.
    Last edited by BeerBrewer; 04-22-2021 at 09:36 PM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerBrewer View Post
    I don't want to get into a debate on what is safe to tow and what's not, but I would like to clear up what a weight distribution hitch does. A weight distribution hitch works to distribute some of the tongue weight of a trailer up to the front axle of the tow vehicle so that it will sit more level and handle/brake better. That being said the weight distribution hitches do not "reduce" tongue weight or allow you to tow beyond the capacities of the vehicle.
    This is true. What is also true is that owners of lesser tow vehicles will use any far fetched excuse to justify exceeding their ratings.
    TW is what it is, there is no magic that can change it.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need advice on new tt and towing

Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    This is true. What is also true is that owners of lesser tow vehicles will use any far fetched excuse to justify exceeding their ratings.
    “Lesser tow vehicles”?

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    That has to be one of the lamest statements I think I have ever read. Kind of reminds me of back in the early 70's and 80's when I was in the trucking business and guys with 3408 Cat motors made fun of us that had 350 Cummins. Lesser tow vehicle indeed.
    As an aside, I am not anywhere near my "legal" or published weights and don't have the need or want of a Dually Crew Cab diesel at this time. Could change when I get older, but at 69 yo I still have no need to prove anything to anybody.
    Last edited by BobnColo; 04-23-2021 at 06:07 AM.
    2021 Imagine 2970RL

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobnColo View Post
    That has to be one of the lamest statements I think I have ever read. Kind of reminds me of back in the early 70's and 80's when I was in the trucking business and guys with 3408 Cat motors made fun of us that had 350 Cummins. Lesser tow vehicle indeed.
    Agree
    I mean he only has a 3500 as well
    Isn’t that a “lesser” tow vehicle?

There are plenty bigger

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast