User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I couldn't find any detailed information on RAM towing. I have a F150 and the brochure says I can tow up to 13,200 lbs but that is for a very specific truck. When I dug deep into the literature I found the towing capacity of my F150 was more like 10,500 lbs which is 2700 lbs less than the brochure would lead you to believe you can tow. The wheel base, bed length, engine, type of cab, equipment all play a role. For RAM it could be the same. Maybe your truck will tow the max stated in the brochure for your engine but I would dig deeper and find the true number. Having said that I would guess that your RAM has sufficient towing capacity. Truck payload is where most half ton trucks have a problem. Look on the door sticker to see the true payload capacity of your truck.

The GD brochure says the tongue weight of my trailer is 480 lbs. Loaded for a trip it weighs 960 lbs as weighed with a tongue weight scale and that's the number that counts. It has to be subtracted from the payload capacity of your truck. In my case the tongue weight exceeds the recommended 10% to 15% of trailer weight so when I travel I move some items from the pass through storage to the bed of my truck to get my tongue weight within the recommended range.
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE
    2020 F150 XLT V6 EcoBoost SuperCrew 4x4 w/Max trailer towing package

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    I will tell you we had the 2950RL version of this trailer. GD did some changes to the bedroom and bath then renamed it 2970RL. Its a heavy trailer. We towed ours with a Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins diesel using an Equalizer hitch with 1400 pound bars. I would not have towed it with any 1/2 ton truck.
    Our 2950RL had the front and rear AC units. With the front AC unit it will put more weight on the hitch. As built the GD weight document listed our tongue weight as 902 pounds. The tongue weights are dry weights meaning no propane or battery. Our loaded tongue weight was right at 1000 pounds to start off. Another thing you need to take into account is the fresh water holding tank is right up front, essentially right under the bed, just back from the hitch. Filling the fresh water holding tank will put another 200 pounds on the hitch weight. So fully loaded and ready to camp we were always pushing 1400 pounds tongue weight. So you need to get at a minimum a hitch to handle 1400 pounds.

Most 1/2 ton pickup hitch receivers are only basic class 4, good up to 1000 pounds with weight distributed hitch so you start out way over weight on the truck hitch receiver. Our Ram 2400 hitch receiver was like this even on a 3/4 ton so I upgraded to a Curt class 5 hitch receiver. Then too a lot of 1/2 ton pickups have passenger rated tires meaning the tire size starts with "P" and not "LT". This makes the ride better, softer and more like a car but they "P" rated tires are lousy tires for pulling a trailer. The side wall is too flexible, not stiff enough. So whatever truck you tow with make sure it has "LT" light truck tires.

The picture I attached was my tongue weight scale with the storage compartment empty, full propane, battery and the fresh water tank full. I give you this information so you can make an informed decision. This kind of tongue weight, not to mention the total trailer weight, is very high for a 1/2 ton pickup.

Steve
    Here is the tag on my 2017 F350 Diesel and with the scale rating I would be close to the max hitch weight when the TT loaded to ready to camp I would probably be over.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hitch.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	33731
    Last edited by CWSWine; 04-28-2021 at 07:55 PM.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    Lol

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    Glad I was able to make you smile.
    Bob and Joanne
    2021 Reflection 315RLTS
    2020 F-250, Crew Cab, Short Bed, 7.3 Gas, 4x4
    20K Weigh-Safe hitch

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I couldn't find any detailed information on RAM towing.
    You can find that info on the RAM website. Either by VIN or by model.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2970RL, and since I sprung for the Sherline scale, I’ll share my actual hitch weights under different conditions. You can see what we haul it with in the signature block. All weights are with a moderately packed camper (for two people). I should also note that we have a Hensley Arrow, which does add about a hundred pounds, so maybe deduct for that a little:

925 with all tanks dead empty, propanes 65% each. Actual camper weight was 7960 on a CAT scale at this point.

950 with 1/2 full black & gray, empty fresh water, 65% propane.

1325 lbs with full fresh water, 1/2 full black & gray), 70% propane

Because of the fresh water tank location, pretty much every pound of fresh water goes directly on the hitch. We try not to haul water (or black or gray water for that matter), but sometimes it can’t be avoided.

I made this table of weights that we keep right at the convenience center for reference:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-04-29 at 9.09.06 AM.png 
Views:	10 
Size:	119.6 KB 
ID:	33750
    Last edited by jnoyes; 04-29-2021 at 07:23 AM.
    Jeff & Deborah - North Beach, MD
    2019 Grand Design 2970RL "Lucy", Hensley Arrow 14K, Goodyear Endurance Tires
    2019 Nissan Titan XD, 5.6 gas, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 bags

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Upi441 View Post
    NEED ADVICE
    New travel trailer after looking at following specs do I need to upgrade to a Ram 2500? If so would you get Turbo Diesel or 6.4 gas? Any advice would help me out.

Thanks
    Karen Baker

2021 Ram 1500 5.7 hemi Etorque Axle Ratio 3.92
    GVWR – 6900
    Payload – 1760
    Base weight -total – 5136
    Front – 2983
    Rear – 2153
    GAWR –
    Front – 3700
    Rear - 4100
    CTCWR – 17000
    MAX TRAILER WEIGHT – 11,370

2021 Grand Design 2970RL
    Length = 34 feet
    Dry Weight – 7397
    Payload – 1598
    GVWR – 8995
    Hitch Weight - 751

Equalizer sway/distribution hitch
    I you used to tow like your set up but 9995 GVWR on TT. You will run out of payload on your truck after hitching up depending on how many peeps and other cargo you carry in the truck. The 1500 will tow it but you would be much happier with a 2500 because it will be slightly longer and have more weight to counteract the trailer length. As others have stated, if you go with the 2500, skip the diesel because it eats into the total payload capacity. Happy trails....
    2019 Momentum 351M, Disc Brakes, Roadmaster Slipper Springs/shocks
    2018 F-450 Ruby Red
    B&W 25K Hitch
    2015 H-D Road Glide CVO / B&W Biker Bar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryS1964 View Post
    I couldn't find any detailed information on RAM towing. I have a F150 and the brochure says I can tow up to 13,200 lbs but that is for a very specific truck. When I dug deep into the literature I found the towing capacity of my F150 was more like 10,500 lbs which is 2700 lbs less than the brochure would lead you to believe you can tow. The wheel base, bed length, engine, type of cab, equipment all play a role. For RAM it could be the same. Maybe your truck will tow the max stated in the brochure for your engine but I would dig deeper and find the true number. Having said that I would guess that your RAM has sufficient towing capacity. Truck payload is where most half ton trucks have a problem. Look on the door sticker to see the true payload capacity of your truck.

The GD brochure says the tongue weight of my trailer is 480 lbs. Loaded for a trip it weighs 960 lbs as weighed with a tongue weight scale and that's the number that counts. It has to be subtracted from the payload capacity of your truck. In my case the tongue weight exceeds the recommended 10% to 15% of trailer weight so when I travel I move some items from the pass through storage to the bed of my truck to get my tongue weight within the recommended range.
    I’m towing a 2670MK with a 2020 Ram 2500 with the 6.4L Hemi. Previous vehicle was a 2016 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi. The 1500 pulled the trailer fine on flat (Delaware) roads and was ok on slightly hilly highways. However, it always seemed that the trailer was more in control when in windy conditions. I took the rig to a CAT scale, and most of the weight were OK but borderline. The GCVWR was within 250 lbs of the max with just me in the truck and with no food, clothing, etc. I thought it was too close for comfort so I upgraded to the 2500. With the 2500, I feel much more comfortable pulling this trailer. The suspension is MUCH more substantial and there is no sway at all.

I would never tell someone what they should do, but this was my experience for what it’s worth.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Hummel View Post
    I’m towing a 2670MK with a 2020 Ram 2500 with the 6.4L Hemi. Previous vehicle was a 2016 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi. The 1500 pulled the trailer fine on flat (Delaware) roads and was ok on slightly hilly highways. However, it always seemed that the trailer was more in control when in windy conditions. I took the rig to a CAT scale, and most of the weight were OK but borderline. The GCVWR was within 250 lbs of the max with just me in the truck and with no food, clothing, etc. I thought it was too close for comfort so I upgraded to the 2500. With the 2500, I feel much more comfortable pulling this trailer. The suspension is MUCH more substantial and there is no sway at all.

I would never tell someone what they should do, but this was my experience for what it’s worth.
    My experience is strikingly similar. But I went with a diesel. I still have plenty of payload left.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RV Sailor View Post
    Pulling a 2021 2500RL with the 6.4 Hemi 2500 Ram. It’s about 8000 fully loaded just a short amt less than yours.
    Today I was driving in wind of 20+ with a Blue Ox and it was very steady. I felt the gusts but no danger or white knuckle.

It has plenty of power and it’s payload is set at 3300 lbs. I’m not sure the 1500 would have been a similar ride. I opted for the gasser as the diesel was $9000 more and 500 lbs payload less. Besides most turbochargers need replacing at the 125,000 mark to the tune of 3k-$4k.
    I have to disagree about turbo mileage. me and my friends have Ram turbos with significantly more mileage with no break downs. Change oil when the truck tells you (every 15k) and use full synthetic oil, and follow the spool down times or better yet just let it idle while you do your business during short stops.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345