Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sharing Water Connection using a splitter

Newbie and we’ve only been out twice. There’s a Corp campsite we intend to visit and there are water spigots every 2 or 3 sites. People have used splitters to share a spigot. There’s a dust-up now because this is no longer allowed. Is there a chance of contamination due to back-flow from a neighbors water line? Is it possible to run your pump while connected to a water supply? Wouldn’t this send water from your tank to your neighbor?
    Rusty & Cathy
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2016 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab Long Bed 4WD 6L
    Husky 32217 Centerline WDH

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anything is possible. I'd guess the answer is yes, water can back flow from one feed to the next.

The bigger issue is probably random people touch all the hoses and the faucet handle possible spreading germs.

Of course, having said that, the same could happen at a campground connection that is dedicated to a site. The person using before you might have contaminated it.

geesh..... I hadn't thought of that until now. I suppose the same goes for touch the electrical panel. Gosh - things aren't getting easier. Time to wipe those down now before using them???
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m not being paranoid or anything, but I was reading about maintenance of your fresh water tank, and it got me to thinking. And some folks here say they never drink the campsite water. Some say they always disinfect the spigot because you don’t know what someone has hooked up to it. Maybe another reason not to drink the water? I dunno.
    Rusty & Cathy
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2016 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab Long Bed 4WD 6L
    Husky 32217 Centerline WDH

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a chance but most city water in on RVs have a built in check valve to allow water not to flow back out that way once it enters the RV. We use a triple water filter system for drinking and double filter for everything else. I put a 20 micron campco filter (take out all the big stuff) on the faucet and have installed a house .5 micron (take out all the little nasties) filter on my reflection. So not water comes into my camper without being filtered down to .5 microns. Then we use an additional Britta filter for drinking water.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyCas View Post
    Newbie and we’ve only been out twice. There’s a Corp campsite we intend to visit and there are water spigots every 2 or 3 sites. People have used splitters to share a spigot. There’s a dust-up now because this is no longer allowed. Is there a chance of contamination due to back-flow from a neighbors water line? Is it possible to run your pump while connected to a water supply? Wouldn’t this send water from your tank to your neighbor?
    Hook your hose up and fill your tank, then unhook the hose.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyCas View Post
    There’s a dust-up now because this is no longer allowed.
    Is there a sign put up by the Corp or park manager saying it's not allowed? I know it's a bother but I would love to see a picture of it.

The only way for a water supply to get back flow is if the water supply has a failure, other wise the system retains positive pressure. Even when it is turned off by a valve there is no movement. The only time you could get back flow is there is a broken pipe, then the water is turned off.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750