User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The switch for the fans is a common failure point, also one that's generally easy to test and bypass. The fans on mine are for sure working.

After switching mine back to AC the other day, it cooled back down just fine and held for a few days. Switched to LP and nothing. Back to AC . . . . nothing.
    2019 Reflection 150 260RD - 2018 Ford F350
    Rest of the fleet: 95 Grand Cherokee with a lot of stuff, 15 JKU Rubicon with less stuff, 98 5.9 Grand Cherokee with a little stuff

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Works fine on AC now, freezer holding temp on LP, but the fridge is at ambient.
    Rest of the fleet: 95 Grand Cherokee with a lot of stuff, 15 JKU Rubicon with less stuff, 98 5.9 Grand Cherokee with a little stuff

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaveZJ View Post
    Works fine on AC now, freezer holding temp on LP, but the fridge is at ambient.
    After roughly 10+ nights of camping so far this season, it's still consistently working on AC and LP is keeping the freezer around 10*F with very little cooling the fridge. Only real further testing I've done is to disconnect the fridge from the camper LP system and hook it straight to a different LP tank, no change in performance. Also cleaned the orifice again, no change. So at this point it's pretty much narrowed down to either the LP valve on the fridge, or the flue has begun to separate from the cooling unit and causing subpar cooling. There's some tests I can run on the lower board too I guess, but I swapped that and nothing changed so I'm assuming it's fine.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaveZJ View Post
    I admittedly did not burp it as most people I've seen online suggest, I just flipped it upside down, rocked it back and forth a couple times before flipping it back over and put it back in.
    I'm leaning towards the burping "trick" again, but leave it upside down overnight to give the chemicals a chance to do their thing.
    Did you ever solve your fridge problem? I have a lot of the same issues. Everything seems to be working but no cooling of fridge or freezer. No error messages, no yellow residue, AC heating element heats up, LP fires up, ziggy tubing above flue/heater going up the side gets very hot, above 100 Celcius at the top, with temperature dropping into 20s Celcius in the cooling fin at top, cooling fans start and shutoff after a few minutes (with propane anyway).

I haven't checked the control board per say but fuses are good and like I said everything electric seems to be working. I tried the rubber mallet reboot of Second Chance with no change. I have not done the "burping" as you described above or thought of doing (24 hours upside down) but how did you manage this? The fridge is supposedly over 200 pounds? I guess with your handle of "BigDave" you could manage this but this weight is out of my 66 year old league and the confines of my trailer won't help. Maybe with the help of my spry 61 year old rving neighbour?
    Greg
    2018 Reflection 337RLS, 2017 F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD short bed, Anderson Ultimate hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are seeing a drop that significant in the upper tubes, you have a blockage up there. I just fought this same issue and it finally dawned on me when we picked our rig up,the kind folks had it plugged in and fridge on in a very sloped driveway….. it burnt our cooling unit up and I replaced it. Fire it up and start feeling your way down the tubes, you will be able to pinpoint the blockage, or if you can find a flir gun you can see it.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrdieseldoctr View Post
    If you are seeing a drop that significant in the upper tubes, you have a blockage up there. I just fought this same issue and it finally dawned on me when we picked our rig up,the kind folks had it plugged in and fridge on in a very sloped driveway….. it burnt our cooling unit up and I replaced it. Fire it up and start feeling your way down the tubes, you will be able to pinpoint the blockage, or if you can find a flir gun you can see it.
    Ended up "burping" it, as a blockage, as you identify, seemed like the likely culprit and really my last resort. I had to pull the trailer out of my tight, beside the house, storage spot onto the lawn so I could extend both fridge and dinette slides so we could pull the fridge out, wriggling it by the island, pull it forward and flip it on it's side between the dinette and island and then on it's head in the living room area. A little bit of gurgling but when we flipped it back over, after 24 hours, it sounded like Niagara falls with all the liquid running through the pipes. I levelled it out where it sat in the middle of trailer, let it sit overnight and plugged it in the next day. Nothing worked until I figured out I had to connect the 12V to run the "brain" of the fridge. Anyway, first the freezer cooled down and then slowly the fridge compartment. On the coldest fridge setting I was getting freezer wall readings of -22 C and the fridge fins of -2C. Fridge LED reading was down to 34 F so I turned it down to my usual setting of 2 out of 5 and it levelled out to 37F.
    Shut it off, letting it settle to ambient temp and wrangled it back into it's spot in the slide with the help of a couple of guys. Buttoned up the electrical and propane connections moved the trailer back into it's level parking spot. Let it sit overnight, started it on AC again and watched it slowly cool down to 37F. Shut it off for a bit then started it on propane and it cooled down nicely. Talked about relief. I hope it lasts but from others experience sometimes it goes bad again.

As you point out, what I think caused the problem, was on our last camping trip I pull the trailer out of it's spot onto the sloped yard and did some loading while waiting for my wife, who was a bit late coming from an errand. All the time running the fridge on propane. This hour at the slope it was likely caused the blockage. I'm definitely going to be more cognizant of slope in the future as I don't want to have to pay $5000 for a new fridge or maybe less for some of the alternatives but still a pain in the butt never mind supply and delivery issues.
    Greg
    2018 Reflection 337RLS, 2017 F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD short bed, Anderson Ultimate hitch

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I've read, not personal experience, the blockage can be incremental. It may not happened all at one time but gradually developed a block. All those times of sitting and running while out of level could have contributed to the issue over time. Like I said, this is not personal experience, just what I've read.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    From what I've read, not personal experience, the blockage can be incremental. It may not happened all at one time but gradually developed a block. All those times of sitting and running while out of level could have contributed to the issue over time. Like I said, this is not personal experience, just what I've read.
    That’s true, once the water in the unit boils it crystallizes the rust inhibitor and that causes the blockage. Once those crystals form they never dissipate, that’s why burping sometimes works and sometimes it doesn’t. If I can dig it out of the scrap bin I will post pics of ours, I cut it apart and it was shocking how plugged it was.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never fully figured my issue out. Camper has been plugged in to AC since the summer and fridge is working just fine. Haven't gotten around to trying it on LP for quite a while.

I could probably burp the fridge myself if needed (as the handle implies lol) but my wife was there to help, mainly to make sure I didn't hurt the fridge, camper, or myself!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12