Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flexing at top of pinbox

Has anyone had flexing at the top of the pinbox that you can see when you hit a good bump? Had a screw pull out and punch through the bottom of the front cap right at the corner underneath the clearance light. I know there is going to be some flex, and as this is a 2014 369RL, kinda expect it. I have a washer and dryer up there as well. It is right at the corners of the frame, both sides, so entire thing is moving. How much movement would you expect?

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So are you asking at the wingset or the extents of the deck? The frames have a fair flex to them, much more so in 2014. However, pulling screws suggests a little too much. I would personally have it inspected. It easy to take down the skin on the overhang and front storage to get a good look at the framing and, more importantly, the welds. Some of the corrosion I've seen from coastal summers is unreal, but more commonly the low-skill welds crack with fatigue.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 385 GK-R and I see more flex than I am comfortable with. In the rear view mirror I can see the gap between the pin box hitch and the cap. When we hit dips on the highway the gap closes and opens. I would say more than an inch of travel. I would expect this critical part of the frame would be very rigid.
    Jeff - 2019 Solitude 385 GK-R 2020 Ram Laramie Crew 3500 HO SW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was watching mine during my last trip and I think some of this visible flex might have been the covering material (not sure if this is fiberglass). When this moves, since it surrounds the wingset, it can look like the wingset is flexing.

Just a thought.
    2018 Solitude 344gk
    2021 Ram 3500 SRW