Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

24V solar system - 12V DC question

Hello all,

I am working on a new solar system to replace the furion system that came with my rv. I am having trouble figuring out the best way to power the DC side of the system since I am going to run a 24v battery bank. I have run through multiple options including using a 24vto12v dc2dc converter, just using the existing ac2dc converter and using a victron orion-tr smart charger. I have been given advice from the diysolarforum that none of these are efficient and I am at a loss at this point on how to power my 12v dc side of the electrical system.

Current solar package:
    Furion 165W solar panel
    Furion solar charge controller
    12v FLA battery

New solar system main components:
    4* 250W santan solar panels = 1000W solar (theoritical)
    victron smartsolar 100|50 scc
    lynx distributor
    2* 12v 200ah ampere time plus batteries wired in series = 24v battery bank
    victron 24|3000|70 multiplus
    Victron smartshunt

What have other people who have installed 24v solar systems/battery banks done to power their dc side?
    Should I power everything from the 24v battery bank or keep the existing 12v battery for dc side?

Any opinions/critiques on the components I am using are welcome.
    I would just like to figure everything out so I can proceed with the install.

Thanks!
    2022 Transcend Xplor 231RK
    2008 Toyota Tundra

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jbartee7 View Post
    Hello all,

I am working on a new solar system to replace the furion system that came with my rv. I am having trouble figuring out the best way to power the DC side of the system since I am going to run a 24v battery bank. I have run through multiple options including using a 24vto12v dc2dc converter, just using the existing ac2dc converter and using a victron orion-tr smart charger. I have been given advice from the diysolarforum that none of these are efficient and I am at a loss at this point on how to power my 12v dc side of the electrical system.

Current solar package:
    Furion 165W solar panel
    12v FLA battery

lynx distributor
    Victron smartshunt

What have other people who have installed 24v solar systems/battery banks done to power their dc side?
    Should I power everything from the 24v battery bank or keep the existing 12v battery for dc side?

Thanks!
    First off, it looks like you're new here, welcome to the forum.

While I don't run a 24-volt system myself, my understanding is that you would be fine with a simple 24 to 12-volt converter to run the DC side of things. I'm not aware of any better way (there may be others who are) of servicing your 12-volt components from a 24-volt power system.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello all,

Current solar package:
    Furion 165W solar panel
    12v FLA battery

lynx distributor
    Victron smartshunt

Thanks!
    Speaking strictly DC voltage and current, a 24vdc to 12vdc stepdown transformer or converter will be your most electrically efficient option. A transformer is the cheapest, and most "complicated" to install, a DC-to-DC converter is pretty much plug and play.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Technically, "transformers" don't work with DC, only AC. You'll need a DC to DC converter. They are widely available in various sizes. The "Victron Energy Orion IP20 24/12-Volt 70 amp DC-DC Converter Non-Isolated, High Power" available on Amazon for $135, would do the job and provide 70a of 12v DC power. I don't know how much you need. Also, there may be less expensive options.
    2021 Solitude 380FL-R
    Ram 3500 MegaCab SB DRW

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forget to mention, the efficiencies are in the 90+% range. The 70a referenced above is 92%.
    2021 Solitude 380FL-R
    Ram 3500 MegaCab SB DRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will never get 100% efficiency, there will always be losses in the form of heat whenever moving or converting electricity. The key is to minimize them. Keeping the highest power consumers and producers at a higher voltage/lower amperage is more efficient than at a lower voltage/higher amperage. With the system you've designed, with batteries, solar charging, and inverter/charger at 24V, and using a 24V-12V DC to DC converter at 90+% efficiency to run the lower power items in your trailer is the best of both worlds.
    If I could start over, that would be the system I would design for myself.
    2017 F150 Lariat 3.5 EB
    2020 Imagine 2400BH

retired: 2016 Starcraft 19BHS & 2004 Fleetwood Mesa

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Traveler View Post
    Technically, "transformers" don't work with DC, only AC. You'll need a DC to DC converter. They are widely available in various sizes. The "Victron Energy Orion IP20 24/12-Volt 70 amp DC-DC Converter Non-Isolated, High Power" available on Amazon for $135, would do the job and provide 70a of 12v DC power. I don't know how much you need. Also, there may be less expensive options.
    I did mention that it was "complicated". [emoji16]
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the victron 24|3000|70 multiplus will already do this for you. It takes 24v in but the 3000 inverter output is 12v. I could be mistaken though.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    I think the victron 24|3000|70 multiplus will already do this for you. It takes 24v in but the 3000 inverter output is 12v. I could be mistaken though.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Nope, it will only output what it takes in. The inverter output is 120V in north america at 70A (240V elsewhere) and the inverter input/charger output is 24v.
    2017 F150 Lariat 3.5 EB
    2020 Imagine 2400BH

retired: 2016 Starcraft 19BHS & 2004 Fleetwood Mesa

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello all,

Current solar package:
    Furion 165W solar panel
    12v FLA battery

lynx distributor
    Victron smartshunt

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Traveler View Post
    Having installed a 24 volt Battery Bank I can tell you exactly how I am powering my 12 volt devices in the coach.

I installed the Victron Orion 70a DC to DC Converter mentioned above. I wired the DC to DC converter from the 24v batteries and wired the 12v side directly into the wires that were previously connected to the OEM Converter. That's it, nothing special. However, I did need to consider the load I was going to place on that 70 amp DC to DC Converter.

In my coach I have two 12v High Amp loads, the hydraulic pump for the Landing gear/Stabilizers/Main Slides and the Schwintek bedroom slide. According to the Owners manual each of these loads can draw up to 95 amps, I was going to be short of power with just the 70 amp DC to DC Converter. Consequently, I installed two (small) 10ah Lithium batteries (LiFePo4) in the front hold using the wires that were connected to the original Lead Acid batteries (these batteries act as a buffer when starting the hydraulic pump or Schwintek Slidem motors). Electrically, I can draw 12 volts at 90 amps continuously, additionally, I have 15 amps burst capabilities from the DC to DC Converter and the LiFePo4 batteries are rated for a 20 amp draw (each), giving me a total 12v amp capacity of 125 amps. Enough for me to be comfortable that I am never going to strain the 12v side of my system.

If your coach does not have a hydraulic system, or your Schwintek slide(s) draw less than the 70 amps produced by your DC to DC converter you would not need to add any battery capacity to the 12 volt side of your system. Another way to increase your available amperage is to install a second DC to DC Converter (total amps 140 [plus 30 burst capacity]). However, installing two DC to DC Converters will increase your passive losses and electrical overhead.

EDIT: I just read that you have a Transcend Coach, consequently, your 12v, high amp, draw items won't be the same as mine. If you have an electric slide system, and not the Schwintek slide system, your high power draw will be a lot less than what I described above. You may only need a 40 amp Orion DC to DC Converter with or with out a small Lithium battery to provide "boost/buffer" for your slide motor.
    Last edited by SolarPoweredRV; 06-08-2022 at 03:43 AM.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast