User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m a belt and suspenders kind o guy. I have 4 generators living in hurricane prone Florida.

We bought a Westinghouse iGen4500DF from Lowes with the 10% veteran discount. It was around $950. It’s dual Fuel, push button start, wireless start etc. Fir long outages at home I drag our RV over and fire up the Westinghouse to run everything in the RV. The Westinghouse is only a 120v output so it can’t power the 240v devices at the house or cabin.

We also have a pair of Honda 2000’s with one converted to dual fuel. When power goes out at the vacation cabin that’s the one I drag it out, connect a 20# propane tank and fire it up. I run the fridge, freezer, TV and some fans all using extension cords. It’s soooo quiet.

Many years ago, after Hurricane Andrew, I bought a 6500 watt Generac gas 120/240 generator. It’s noisy but it can run the 240v well pumps or the 240v Hot Water Heater at the cabin if needed. I’ve got a small transfer switch that allows me to power the sub panel. It’s not clean inverter power but works well for pumps and resistive heaters.

I always carry a small Honda in the RV and for longer RV trios I take both Hondas.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I carry a Honda 2000 and a Moeller 6 gallon aux fuel tank with me at all times. I don't dry camp often for any longer than 2 or 3 nights except for our trips to the Daytona 500 which then has us on generator power for 14 nights. That's where the Moeller aux tank is ideal... fill the generator and aux tank and I'm good for 5 days. I don't run on generator all day long unless it's extremely hot out but I do average about 8 hrs per day with morning use for the coffee maker & the wife's hair care appliances along with evening TV, microwave, etc. I always make sure to run 89 octane or higher fuel in the Honda and all my small engines as it is much better for them. Also my truck is gas so having the extra fuel tank gives me piece of mind when I'm in certain areas. I'm told but haven't verified it yet that gasoline is more economical per hr of use than propane is... but who knows in these crazy times with both skyrocketing out of control.
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thread seems like a good one to ask some questions here.
    1. For the propane generators, can they run on the rv's regulated supply or do they need full pressure out of a tank?
    2. If the need is mostly to charge batteries when solar is weak or non-existant, would it be better to use the '12v' output rather than relying on the rv's converter. In other words, which is more efficient or better matched for battery charging?
    3. I'm wanting to mount an inverter generator onto the rear receiver hitch in a semi-permanent manner, but be able to remove and/or relocate if needed. We prefer dry camping, btw. Any advise for this situation?
    Thanks in advance.
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandesigner View Post
    1. For the propane generators, can they run on the rv's regulated supply or do they need full pressure out of a tank?
    2. If the need is mostly to charge batteries when solar is weak or non-existant, would it be better to use the '12v' output rather than relying on the rv's converter. In other words, which is more efficient or better matched for battery charging?
    3. I'm wanting to mount an inverter generator onto the rear receiver hitch in a semi-permanent manner, but be able to remove and/or relocate if needed. We prefer dry camping, btw. Any advise for this situation?
    Thanks in advance.
    1. As long as the regulated supply provides enough CFM. The generator does come with it's own regulator. You will need a way to connect it to the source. I'm assuming that you want to connect it to the quick connect coming off the coach. You will need a hose with a band end on each side.
    2. Yes, the 12v out would be best, otherwise you are covering 12 vdc, from the generator, to 120vac, back to 12vdc via the converter in the trailer.
    3. Go to Harbor Freight and buy a hitch rack, but a stabilizer from Amazon, the type that bolts tight against the rack tube. Chain the generator to the hitch rack (and the chain clips on the receiver), and away you go. I purchased a canvas tarp to wrap the generator in so it isn't completely exposed to the weather when we are driving.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Moonshadow,
    1. It would be nice to use coach supply but am not sure if it would meet the need. Is this a commom thing to do?
    2. I guess I would be concerned about the actual voltage coming out the 12v plugs and the effect of running nearly 30 feet of charging wire of correct gage. My solar controller provides 14.2v boost for example.
    3. Sounds like a plan. But what if I have a small propane tank as a back up. Is it okay to strap it to the hitch rack as far as safety and legality?
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Seasoned Camper more tired since retired's Avatar
    southern Georgia, where gnats rule the world
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks in advance.
    1) You can use the regulated propane from the trailer but YOU MUST USE the inverter's regulator. The generator will not run without it. The supplied regulator is a vacuum type and depends on the intake stroke to allow LP into the cylinder. If you try it without the supplied regulator, you will be pulling too much propane, the engine won't fire and you run the risk of fire from the fuel running out the exhaust. (I tried without the supplied regulator, it wouldn't start, and was told by Champion the engine won't run and you have a major fire risk.

2) You can charge from 12vDC, but we use solar. We had lithium batteries (5 x 105 AH) and 1600W on the roof. I would suggest getting at least 100W of suitcase solar. Quieter, uses no propane and lets you stay out longer.

3) Make sure your rear receiver hitch will support it. Also you need to make sure it's tied down when traveling and probably make sure you can lock it down so it doesn't go a vacation, never to return.
    2020 F-250 XLT SuperCrew 7.3L Blue Ox SwayPro, 2020 Imagine 2600RB,
    1600W Solar w/525AH LiFePO4, Victron 3000W, Road Armor w/wet bolt suspension, VisionWork Camera System, Peplink MAX BR1 Pro 5G Mobile Router,MicroAir EasyStart
    Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ FMCA#489460 Escapees SKP#166379

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Moonshadow,
    1. It would be nice to use coach supply but am not sure if it would meet the need. Is this a commom thing to do?
    2. I guess I would be concerned about the actual voltage coming out the 12v plugs and the effect of running nearly 30 feet of charging wire of correct gage. My solar controller provides 14.2v boost for example.
    3. Sounds like a plan. But what if I have a small propane tank as a back up. Is it okay to strap it to the hitch rack as far as safety and legality?
    1. We use our coach supply, just remember, the generator sucks propane.
    2. Yup. You need to put the generator as close to the batteries as possible if you are going to do that. I just plug my 50 amp cord into the dog bone, then into the 30 amp port on the generator.
    3. Put the propane tank in the bed of the truck.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks in advance.

I believe it would take much longer to charge RV batteries with the 12V output from the generator... just as it takes longer to charge them from your T.V. will driving... let your RV converter do what it's designed for so you don't have to constantly monitor your battery charge rate.
    As for running on the RV's propane supply I believe that would be more of a hassle then just carrying an extra 30lb. tank. Figure out which generator you want/need and buy a cargo rack that will fit it and a spare tank....but during travel keep the extra tank secured in the bed of your truck. I have this Harbor Freight rack and have used it on the front of my previous T.V. for a Honda 3500 to Florida and back with no problems. I did change the cheap Chinese bolts on the main draw bar to quality hardened bolts. Also as suggested above use an Anti Rattle clamp to keep everything extra tight.

https://go.harborfreight.com/sku/92655/

Along with this.....
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JDD8L3H...44JG8SAGGHBBD?

I recently purchased this for my daughter for her TT as a Christmas gift... she hasn't used it yet so I can't say how well it works.

Champion Power Equipment 200961 2500-Watt Dual Fuel Portable Inverter Generator, Ultralight https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08L45W2V9...ing=UTF8&psc=1
    Last edited by IBEW Sparky; 01-28-2022 at 05:42 PM.
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would think that the generator would not supply enough current from the 12v output to charge the battery(s) effectively or quickly enough. There is also the issue with having a high enough voltage to charge LiFePO4 batteries, if you have them.
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 RW, Tow Package
    Husky Centerline WDH
    Champion 2500DF, Prodigy P2

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZMike View Post
    I would think that the generator would not supply enough current from the 12v output to charge the battery(s) effectively or quickly enough. There is also the issue with having a high enough voltage to charge LiFePO4 batteries, if you have them.
    You've got a good point. I found a charging cable on eBay for the 12v port. It sure didn't look like it will handle a high amperage load. I think that means that 12v charging port is designed to charge a disconnected lead acid battery. https://www.ebay.com/itm/254435143748

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast