User Tag List

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the responses, very helpful.
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandesigner View Post
    This thread seems like a good one to ask some questions here.
    1. For the propane generators, can they run on the rv's regulated supply or do they need full pressure out of a tank?
    2. If the need is mostly to charge batteries when solar is weak or non-existant, would it be better to use the '12v' output rather than relying on the rv's converter. In other words, which is more efficient or better matched for battery charging?
    3. I'm wanting to mount an inverter generator onto the rear receiver hitch in a semi-permanent manner, but be able to remove and/or relocate if needed. We prefer dry camping, btw. Any advise for this situation?
    Thanks in advance.

Yes, they can run off of the RV's regulated Propane supply. However it depends on how your Generator is configured. I have an early model of the Champion 3500 Dual Fuel Generator. It came with what looks like two regulators, first, at the tank connection it had a "standard" pressure reducing regulator, then at the Generator it had a second (looks like a regulator) one that actually functions more like a carburetor that modulates the Propane input for the engine. From what I understand they have engineered this "carburetor" to be inside the Generator housing. I removed the first regulator and replaced the house feeding Propane into this "carburetor" with a Propane Quick connect so I could connect it to my old camper. Since my Solitude does not have a Quick connect port, I simply use a hose that has the regulator at the tank end and a Quick connect at the other end.

I keep my Generator inside the truck bed with a 20lb tank strapped next to the tailgate. If I need to run the Generator I simply connect the hose to the Propane tank and the Generator and run it in the truck bed. I then use a dogbone to connect my 50a shore power cord to the 30a outlet on the Generator.

As others have mentioned the 12v outlet from the Generator does not have enough output to charge your batteries. The 120v 30a outlet is the correct method to charge up your battery bank.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought about having the generator in the truck bed but am concerned about the times we go 4 wheeling and it gets pretty bouncy at times.
    How do generators in general react to this type of treatment?
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought about having the generator in the truck bed but am concerned about the times we go 4 wheeling and it gets pretty bouncy at times.
    How do generators in general react to this type of treatment?
    Well, inverter generators probably wouldn't handle that kind of treatment. A regular frame generator probably would, but then you lose the inverter piece that helps from damaging the electronics in the coach.

I would just remove the generator from the truck and cable it to the main slide rack and pinion, or the axle. We have a 10' Masterlock cable and a round, storage locker type, lock. I can cable the generator and propane tank to the rack and pinion under the slide.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I won't be moving it back and forth due to back issues so I guess I will mount it to the 5W receiver hitch and tie/lock it down there.
    I checked out the specs of my 5W converter and they are not bad. No equalization stage which is perfect for my AGMs.
    Would be nice to have remote start for those cold mornings when the batts are low...forgot is this one has that or not.
    Dan and Rita

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update...got a champion dual fuel 4500 and am ready to break it in. Wondering if I should even use gasoline for a couple of reasons.
    1. messy and smelly
    2. altitude/elevation; we live at 5000 ft and camp at 0 to 10,000 ft. Not sure if A/F ratio will be problem with propane the same as for gasoline. Will I need the different carb jets in both cases?

Also, since I don't have a 20 lb tank...should I buy one for refilling or just go with an exchange program?
    Dan and Rita

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update...got a champion dual fuel 4500 and am ready to break it in. Wondering if I should even use gasoline for a couple of reasons.
    1. messy and smelly
    2. altitude/elevation; we live at 5000 ft and camp at 0 to 10,000 ft. Not sure if A/F ratio will be problem with propane the same as for gasoline. Will I need the different carb jets in both cases?

Also, since I don't have a 20 lb tank...should I buy one for refilling or just go with an exchange program?
    I had a Westinghouse iGen4500DF and only ran it on propane. I didn't want to deal with messy gas. I also purchased the high altitude kit for it but never used it as I did not have it very long. It was just too heavy to hoist it into my truck alone. I now have a Champion 2500DF and also run it only on propane...Much lighter! I have not gotten the high altitude kit for it yet, but I think it is beneficial for both gas and propane. I also run only full synthetic oil in both. As far as the propane bottle, I prefer to fill it myself rather than do exchanges. My bottle is new and you never know if you're going to get one close to the expiration date on a swap.
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 RW, Tow Package
    Husky Centerline WDH
    Champion 2500DF, Prodigy P2

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. messy and smelly

I use both propane and gas on our 4500. If it’s a short stay propane and we lift it off the truck bed.

Long stay gas as consumption is far less it seems

As far as heft. It’s certainly doable.
    It’s only 100 lbs and easy lifted down off the tailgate by two as it has great handles. Once down has a good extendable long handle to roll it around on large wheels. We also have ramps but never had to use them

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forgot to mention we have a Westinghouse 4500. Whisper quiet. Prefer this size generator as we can run every outlet and appliance with the air conditioner on vs the smaller generators. Plus ours goes 18 hours between refill with gas and has a remote start

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I loved my 4500DF. Unfortunately, I had to lift it alone. Even with the pet ramp I had it had gotten to be too much.
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 RW, Tow Package
    Husky Centerline WDH
    Champion 2500DF, Prodigy P2

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast