User Tag List

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Norcold Refrigerator Doors

We have a 2016 Solitude with a Norcold double-door refrigerator. This is to document the steps we took to make the four doors work as designed. We have actually had few issues with it other than the freezer ices up very quickly and from the beginning a problem with the flap between the doors. We learned very early that the left door had to be closed first, then close the flap manually, and finally close the right door and then make sure that the doors actually latched. To ensure that the doors are latched requires moving the the levers back into position manually with your fingers.

Today I finally found out the root problem with the flap. We saw that the flap was rubbing hard against and leaving marks on the bottom of the fridge. I removed the two screws and took the flap off the door by raising it out of the mounting clips (there is an electric connector to remove as well). I cannot explain why or how, but the flap was too tall for the opening by more than 1/16th of an inch!!! I had to force it into position where it was supposed to go! I wondered if the bottom of the fridge was bent upwards? I could not find anything physically wrong except the flap was too long!

To make this work I had to sand down the bottom of the flap and a little off the "cam" on the top with a belt sander. That allowed the flap to fit initially, but then the top surface just below the "cam" end was still hitting the bottom of the upper guide assembly. I had to sand that surface next to the "cam" about 1/16 inch as well. Finally I had to put a thin washer under the door on the lower hinge to raise the door over all. After that the door flap started working perfectly every time. Whew!

None of the four doors had ever been aligned with each other. I loosened and adjusted the other three doors. One of the freezer doors got a thin washer on the bottom hinge to raise it a tad. The lower hinge for the other freezer door had to be bent in a vise just a bit to make the door lower.

With all four doors even and aligned and with the left refrigerator door holding three gallons of liquid and the flap still performing flawlessly it was time to address the sticking latches.

The latches get to a point over time where the levers won't slide back into position when closing the doors. The levers come apart with two small Phillips screws. DO NOT LOSE THE SPRINGS! The latches are identical (lefts and rights) and have exactly four parts: The lever, the lever holder, the pin, and the spring. I cleaned all of the plastic parts with a moist towel and then sprayed silicone (from an auto parts store) on all of the plastic parts where they contact each other. Now, all four latches release easily, the levers move back into position, and the doors snap shut positively every time.

Postscript: This is the first NorCold we have ever owned. It does a really good job of keeping food cold and making ice quickly (although ice cream is perpetually soft). I even installed a bypass switch for the condenser fans so they can run any time the unit is calling for "cool". But my wife keeps complaining about everything being plastic. I don't like it either, but I get it. I just don't understand how something this expensive can be manufactured and installed without someone realizing that the doors were not opening and closing correctly...
    Last edited by fez111; 04-19-2021 at 06:58 PM.
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fez111 View Post
    We have a 2016 Solitude with a Norcold double-door refrigerator. This is to document the steps we took to make the four doors work as designed. We have actually had few issues with it other than the freezer ices up very quickly and from the beginning a problem with the flap between the doors. We learned very early that the left door had to be closed first, then close the flap manually, and finally close the right door and then make sure that the doors actually latched. To ensure that the doors are latched requires moving the the levers back into position manually with your fingers.

Today I finally found out the root problem with the flap. We saw that the flap was rubbing hard against and leaving marks on the bottom of the fridge. I removed the two screws and took the flap off the door by raising it out of the mounting clips (there is an electric connector to remove as well). I cannot explain why or how, but the flap was too tall for the opening by more than 1/16th of an inch!!! I had to force it into position where it was supposed to go! I wondered if the bottom of the fridge was bent upwards? I could not find anything physically wrong except the flap was too long!

To make this work I had to sand down the bottom of the flap and a little off the "cam" on the top with a belt sander. That allowed the flap to fit initially, but then the top surface just below the "cam" end was still hitting the bottom of the upper guide assembly. I had to sand that surface next to the "cam" about 1/16 inch as well. Finally I had to put a thin washer under the door on the lower hinge to raise the door over all. After that the door flap started working perfectly every time. Whew!

None of the four doors had ever been aligned with each other. I loosened and adjusted the other three doors. One of the freezer doors got a thin washer on the bottom hinge to raise it a tad. The lower hinge for the other freezer door had to be bent in a vise just a bit to make the door lower.

With all four doors even and aligned and with the left refrigerator door holding three gallons of liquid and the flap still performing flawlessly it was time to address the sticking latches.

The latches get to a point over time where the levers won't slide back into position when closing the doors. The levers come apart with two small Phillips screws. DO NOT LOSE THE SPRINGS! The latches are identical (lefts and rights) and have exactly four parts: The lever, the lever holder, the pin, and the spring. I cleaned all of the plastic parts with a moist towel and then sprayed silicone (from an auto parts store) on all of the plastic parts where they contact each other. Now, all four latches release easily, the levers move back into position, and the doors snap shut positively every time.

Postscript: This is the first NorCold we have ever owned. It does a really good job of keeping food cold and making ice quickly (although ice cream is perpetually soft). I even installed a bypass switch for the condenser fans so they can run any time the unit is calling for "cool". But my wife keeps complaining about everything being plastic. I don't like it either, but I get it. I just don't understand how something this expensive can be manufactured and installed without someone realizing that the doors were not opening and closing correctly...
    I documented my door flap mod about two years ago and did the same thing....sanding off/removing material on the bottom of the flap. Mine has worked perfectly ever since. Glad you got it working for you.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They still haven't fixed the problem. Our 2021 Solitude w/Norcold 2118 refer had the door flap problem.
    Dennis, Pat, Prince and the Lady - Western New York
    2018 Solitude 310GK- 2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW - Blue Ox Super Ride

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our 2021 310GK with Norcold 2118 had the same problem. A washer under the lower left door solved the problem. As for the ice cream...we keep ours on the bottom shelf in the freezer and it isn't really soft any more.

I did a temperature test in the refrigerator section and these are the Settings and Temps I got.
    Display Temperature
    1 41.7
    2 40.2
    3 39.0
    4 37.5
    5 36.3
    6 36.3
    7 36.1
    8 34.7
    9 34.6
    (Ordered 7/13/20) 2021 Solitude 310GK, FBP, DP, HP, Toppers, Solar, MORryde 7K IS w/Disc Brakes
    Built 9/9/20; To Paint 9/11/20 (5-6 weeks); Done Paint 10/1/20; MORryde axle upgrade 10/5/20; Done at MORryde and paid for 10/8/20; Arrived at Dealer 10/20/20; picked up 11/7/20

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fridge door mod is on my 'to do' or at least 'check' list. Is the door alignment something that changes with travel? Like after 5-10,000km you need to re-align?
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Used vacuum grease along the edges of the black center flap and its been working great for close to 3 yrs. Lucky to have had an easy fix!
    2018 Grand Design Solitude 377MBS

2017 Ford F-350 Lariat DRW...FX4...4.10's...White Gold/Caribou with Black interior. Curt Q20 hitch. BakFlip MX4