User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pulling the trigger on a new 351M and seeking advice

Greetings Fellow Momentum Owners. We just sold our house, and will be placing the order on the 351M tomorrow to go full-timing in it. We would certainly appreciate any advice...

Our configuration:
    • Removed the Happi-Jac
    • Added the solar package
    • Added the 3 Season door
    • Added the Rear aluminum Deck system
    • Added the Rear Patio steps

Do you know what your true UVW and hitch weight were after you picked it up, and before you loaded your 'stuff' on it? Was it more, or less, than what the website showed?

We were very undecided between the 320G and the 351M, and ultimately settled on the 351M because we felt it was better quality and offered more amenities. Did anyone else feel this way, or are we totally off base?

How do you feel now about your purchase?

Lastly, for curiosity sake, what are you pulling it with? We are somewhat leaning towards a 1-ton dually, but DW would prefer a SRW. Most likely going with a Ford, but have not completely ruled out Chevy or GMC. Torn between a diesel and a gasser.

Thanks in advance for your responses.
    Carl & Jacqueline
    We R B.O.B. (Boomers on Bikes)
    2020 Momentum 349M
    2019 Ford F450 6.7L PowerStroke

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DW and I love ours. We use the lower Happi jac for seats and the fold up table to make a dining area. You can look out the back with your deck open while eating if your setting on the lake or river. You need the diesel to pull it. I pull with a dually but recently look at a GMC srw that had a 4000lb payload. It is doable. Have not weighed mine empty but loaded for trip with 1500lbs in garage and empty tanks and about 10 gals fresh water I'm at 3100 on the pin.
    2021 351MR
    2017 Jayco 377rlbh (sold)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Cannon. We thought about using the Happi-Jac as a dining option, however, with our current (smaller TH) we weren't very comfortable sitting/eating at it. We believe we would be more comfortable creating our dining area using more 'conventional' dining furniture. Not sure what that furniture will be just yet, but we do have an idea of what we are looking for.

TBH, it was the patio option that helped in our decision-making. I am anticipating (hoping, really) that the pin weight will be at, or below, the 3K mark.

Thanks again
    Carl & Jacqueline
    We R B.O.B. (Boomers on Bikes)
    2020 Momentum 349M
    2019 Ford F450 6.7L PowerStroke

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannon07 View Post
    DW and I love ours. We use the lower Happi jac for seats and the fold up table to make a dining area. You can look out the back with your deck open while eating if your setting on the lake or river. You need the diesel to pull it. I pull with a dually but recently look at a GMC srw that had a 4000lb payload. It is doable. Have not weighed mine empty but loaded for trip with 1500lbs in garage and empty tanks and about 10 gals fresh water I'm at 3100 on the pin.
    We are working on either finding one and ordering a 351-M-R, however I have a new GMC 2021 3500HD AT4 Crew SRW and my payload is 3800 and max tow is 21300, we load very light and only wife, dog, and myself right now our Montana is 2600 so we have safety margin on payload and towing, however that may be different if you have more people and kids.

BTW how did you sell your Jayco? I am trying to sell my 2018 Montana 3121RL on my own as we all know dealers dont offer much on trade, we just listed it on RVTrader
    2022 Grand Design Momentum 351M-R
    2021 GMC Sierra 3500HD AT4 White Crew Cab Short Box 6.6 Duramax Diesel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're going full-time get a dually and a diesel. You will be heavy. We pull ours with a Ram CTD HO (Cummins turbo diesel, high output) with 4:10 rear end, that truck is a beast.

Red
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by We R BOB View Post
    Greetings Fellow Momentum Owners. We just sold our house, and will be placing the order on the 351M tomorrow to go full-timing in it. We would certainly appreciate any advice...

Our configuration:
    • Removed the Happi-Jac

Do you know what your true UVW and hitch weight were after you picked it up, and before you loaded your 'stuff' on it? Was it more, or less, than what the website showed?

We were very undecided between the 320G and the 351M, and ultimately settled on the 351M because we felt it was better quality and offered more amenities. Did anyone else feel this way, or are we totally off base?

Lastly, for curiosity sake, what are you pulling it with? We are somewhat leaning towards a 1-ton dually, but DW would prefer a SRW. Most likely going with a Ford, but have not completely ruled out Chevy or GMC. Torn between a diesel and a gasser.

Congrats on 351M, another recommendation for a dually. It will provide more stability. As far as gas/diesel, only Ford has a gas engine designed for heavy hauling, the 7.3L. Diesel guys will tell you it will scream all day long while pulling. Do your own search on the Tube and you'll find some videos on this engine. If you go with Ford, I also recommend the TPMS/Camera system. The tire pressure on your dash display is great; thats what we have. I have had no issue with the system as of yet. Any of the modern diesel trucks will tow just fine, it will be a matter of preference on looks and amenities. Happy Trails!!!
    2019 Momentum 351M, Disc Brakes, Roadmaster Slipper Springs/shocks
    2018 F-450 Ruby Red
    B&W 25K Hitch
    2015 H-D Road Glide CVO / B&W Biker Bar

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tamrick View Post
    Congrats on 351M, another recommendation for a dually. It will provide more stability. As far as gas/diesel, only Ford has a gas engine designed for heavy hauling, the 7.3L. Diesel guys will tell you it will scream all day long while pulling. Do your own search on the Tube and you'll find some videos on this engine. If you go with Ford, I also recommend the TPMS/Camera system. The tire pressure on your dash display is great; thats what we have. I have had no issue with the system as of yet. Any of the modern diesel trucks will tow just fine, it will be a matter of preference on looks and amenities. Happy Trails!!!
    Nothing will beat the Diesel especially after going to Tennessee up and down the mountains with the Exhaust Brake, would never tow anything without a Diesel now that we have been RV'ing all these years with it, def gives you piece of mind.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by We R BOB View Post

Our configuration:
    • Removed the Happi-Jac

I can't say how they are from having one, as mine is actually supposed to be built at the factory this week, and hopefully delivered next week. I did look at the 351M, and picked the 320G for me, for several reasons. I am not a fan of the island as it makes it feel smaller in that area. The 351M is two feet longer, so maybe not as much of an issue. The 351M empty weight is about 1,400 lbs heavier, although not sure why, even with the bigger fuel tank, and two extra feet. I am currently a single guy, so I really don't need, or want something bigger (BTDT). Going full time, I would get the biggest that you feel comfortable with.

At least initially, I will be pulling the trailer with my '19 RAM 3500 SRW Diesel short bed. I will be putting on a sidewinder pin box for the clearance on my cab. I should be okay weight wise, as I don't carry much (current bike weighs 450 lbs), and I have a loaded CAT scale rear axle payload of 3,600 lbs. Ideal would be a dually, but if you go SRW, I would suggest at least a long bed, as they have the higher payload, and cab/trailer clearance is not an issue. Diesel all the way. Pulling my current trailer around the Rockies with the diesel is so nice, and the exhaust brake makes downhill a non event. Using the truck lanes at truck stops make life easy on fuel stops.

I would highly suggest getting the upgraded 8K lb axles with the hydraulic brakes. These trailers with a bike, and moderate amount of water, run out of axle weight with the original 7K axles. Also, better brakes is never a bad thing.
    Last edited by Wileykid; 04-20-2021 at 08:58 AM.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second what Wiley said about the axles and brakes...If you can swing it, do it. Of course they offered that option 2 months after we ordered ours, but if it was was offered if it came down to it financially, I would have ditched the solar for that option. With so many different solar options out there, it could be easily added later.

Our Duramax is several generations old (LBZ). That being said, I pulled our 351M up the Cajon Pass out here in CA at 62 mph. It was maxed out, but I wouldn't think that was bad on that grade. Now fast forward to today with the torque and HP increases and you'll get an idea how well today's diesel can tow. Plus the integrated exhaust brakes are phenomenal.

I have a philosophy on MPG...I throw it out the window while towing. You're towing, it's going to be bad. What to look at is your MPG when you're NOT towing, especially as a daily driver or touring vehicle. The new 10 speed in the GMs really help with that, and the reviews on the transmission are really high. GM also offers the trailer camera package with tpms. So it's going to come down to preference.

BTW, we LOVE our 351M. Me, the wife, and the kids are always eager to get back to it.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by offtohavasu View Post
    I second what Wiley said about the axles and brakes...If you can swing it, do it. Of course they offered that option 2 months after we ordered ours, but if it was was offered if it came down to it financially, I would have ditched the solar for that option. With so many different solar options out there, it could be easily added later.

Our Duramax is several generations old (LBZ). That being said, I pulled our 351M up the Cajon Pass out here in CA at 62 mph. It was maxed out, but I wouldn't think that was bad on that grade. Now fast forward to today with the torque and HP increases and you'll get an idea how well today's diesel can tow. Plus the integrated exhaust brakes are phenomenal.

I have a philosophy on MPG...I throw it out the window while towing. You're towing, it's going to be bad. What to look at is your MPG when you're NOT towing, especially as a daily driver or touring vehicle. The new 10 speed in the GMs really help with that, and the reviews on the transmission are really high. GM also offers the trailer camera package with tpms. So it's going to come down to preference.

BTW, we LOVE our 351M. Me, the wife, and the kids are always eager to get back to it.

I have a Brand New 2021 GMC 3500HD AT4 SRW Short Box, it tows incredible, and exhaust brake is awesome. I originally had a 2016 F350 King Ranch Crew Short Box with PSD but it was stolen out of a secure garage in October so had to get a new truck. We have a Montana 3121RL which wights 14,000 loaded and truck had zero issues going to Tennessee and back in and out of the mountains with wind. We use our RV part time, if you are towing bigger then a 351M or full time get a Dually but mine is my daily driver as well so we chose the M351 to replace the Montana based on what the truck can tow as it is just wife and I and our Lab, so this truck has spare payload and towing capacity with the 351.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast