Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pulling the trigger on a new 351M and seeking advice

Greetings Fellow Momentum Owners. We just sold our house, and will be placing the order on the 351M tomorrow to go full-timing in it. We would certainly appreciate any advice...

Our configuration:
    • Removed the Happi-Jac
    • Added the solar package
    • Added the 3 Season door
    • Added the Rear aluminum Deck system
    • Added the Rear Patio steps

Do you know what your true UVW and hitch weight were after you picked it up, and before you loaded your 'stuff' on it? Was it more, or less, than what the website showed?

We were very undecided between the 320G and the 351M, and ultimately settled on the 351M because we felt it was better quality and offered more amenities. Did anyone else feel this way, or are we totally off base?

How do you feel now about your purchase?

Lastly, for curiosity sake, what are you pulling it with? We are somewhat leaning towards a 1-ton dually, but DW would prefer a SRW. Most likely going with a Ford, but have not completely ruled out Chevy or GMC. Torn between a diesel and a gasser.

Thanks in advance for your responses.
    Carl & Jacqueline
    We R B.O.B. (Boomers on Bikes)
    2020 Momentum 349M
    2019 Ford F450 6.7L PowerStroke

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DW and I love ours. We use the lower Happi jac for seats and the fold up table to make a dining area. You can look out the back with your deck open while eating if your setting on the lake or river. You need the diesel to pull it. I pull with a dually but recently look at a GMC srw that had a 4000lb payload. It is doable. Have not weighed mine empty but loaded for trip with 1500lbs in garage and empty tanks and about 10 gals fresh water I'm at 3100 on the pin.
    2021 351MR
    2017 Jayco 377rlbh (sold)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Cannon. We thought about using the Happi-Jac as a dining option, however, with our current (smaller TH) we weren't very comfortable sitting/eating at it. We believe we would be more comfortable creating our dining area using more 'conventional' dining furniture. Not sure what that furniture will be just yet, but we do have an idea of what we are looking for.

TBH, it was the patio option that helped in our decision-making. I am anticipating (hoping, really) that the pin weight will be at, or below, the 3K mark.

Thanks again
    Carl & Jacqueline
    2020 Momentum 349M

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannon07 View Post
    DW and I love ours. We use the lower Happi jac for seats and the fold up table to make a dining area. You can look out the back with your deck open while eating if your setting on the lake or river. You need the diesel to pull it. I pull with a dually but recently look at a GMC srw that had a 4000lb payload. It is doable. Have not weighed mine empty but loaded for trip with 1500lbs in garage and empty tanks and about 10 gals fresh water I'm at 3100 on the pin.
    We are working on either finding one and ordering a 351-M-R, however I have a new GMC 2021 3500HD AT4 Crew SRW and my payload is 3800 and max tow is 21300, we load very light and only wife, dog, and myself right now our Montana is 2600 so we have safety margin on payload and towing, however that may be different if you have more people and kids.

BTW how did you sell your Jayco? I am trying to sell my 2018 Montana 3121RL on my own as we all know dealers dont offer much on trade, we just listed it on RVTrader
    2022 Grand Design Momentum 351M-R
    2021 GMC Sierra 3500HD AT4 White Crew Cab Short Box 6.6 Duramax Diesel

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked1 View Post
    We are working on either finding one and ordering a 351-M-R, however I have a new GMC 2021 3500HD AT4 Crew SRW and my payload is 3800 and max tow is 21300, we load very light and only wife, dog, and myself right now our Montana is 2600 so we have safety margin on payload and towing, however that may be different if you have more people and kids.

BTW how did you sell your Jayco? I am trying to sell my 2018 Montana 3121RL on my own as we all know dealers dont offer much on trade, we just listed it on RVTrader
    Facebook marketplace.
    2021 351MR
    2017 Jayco 377rlbh (sold)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're going full-time get a dually and a diesel. You will be heavy. We pull ours with a Ram CTD HO (Cummins turbo diesel, high output) with 4:10 rear end, that truck is a beast.

Red
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by el Rojo View Post
    If you're going full-time get a dually and a diesel. You will be heavy. We pull ours with a Ram CTD HO (Cummins turbo diesel, high output) with 4:10 rear end, that truck is a beast.

Red
    Thanks, Red. That makes sense on the full-time impact. Pretty sure we will be going with a diesel dually.
    Carl & Jacqueline
    2020 Momentum 349M

currently we are on our way to Salome AZ.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by el Rojo View Post

Red
    ^^^^x2 ^^^^^
    Mike and Renee with Gracie our Golden Retriever on a full time journey exploring our great Country
    2021 Momentum 395m with Factory installed 8k axles with disc brakes and solar package, 4976# CCC
    2015 F350 CC LB DRW. Firestone #5000 air bags with Air One remote control and Bilstein shocks
    25k B&W Companion on factory 5th wheel mounts

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by We R BOB View Post
    Greetings Fellow Momentum Owners. We just sold our house, and will be placing the order on the 351M tomorrow to go full-timing in it. We would certainly appreciate any advice...

Our configuration:
    • Removed the Happi-Jac
    • Added the solar package
    • Added the 3 Season door
    • Added the Rear aluminum Deck system
    • Added the Rear Patio steps

Do you know what your true UVW and hitch weight were after you picked it up, and before you loaded your 'stuff' on it? Was it more, or less, than what the website showed?

We were very undecided between the 320G and the 351M, and ultimately settled on the 351M because we felt it was better quality and offered more amenities. Did anyone else feel this way, or are we totally off base?

How do you feel now about your purchase?

Lastly, for curiosity sake, what are you pulling it with? We are somewhat leaning towards a 1-ton dually, but DW would prefer a SRW. Most likely going with a Ford, but have not completely ruled out Chevy or GMC. Torn between a diesel and a gasser.

Thanks in advance for your responses.
    Congrats on 351M, another recommendation for a dually. It will provide more stability. As far as gas/diesel, only Ford has a gas engine designed for heavy hauling, the 7.3L. Diesel guys will tell you it will scream all day long while pulling. Do your own search on the Tube and you'll find some videos on this engine. If you go with Ford, I also recommend the TPMS/Camera system. The tire pressure on your dash display is great; thats what we have. I have had no issue with the system as of yet. Any of the modern diesel trucks will tow just fine, it will be a matter of preference on looks and amenities. Happy Trails!!!
    2019 Momentum 351M, Disc Brakes, Roadmaster Slipper Springs/shocks
    2018 F-450 Ruby Red
    B&W 25K Hitch
    2015 H-D Road Glide CVO / B&W Biker Bar

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tamrick View Post
    Congrats on 351M, another recommendation for a dually. It will provide more stability. As far as gas/diesel, only Ford has a gas engine designed for heavy hauling, the 7.3L. Diesel guys will tell you it will scream all day long while pulling. Do your own search on the Tube and you'll find some videos on this engine. If you go with Ford, I also recommend the TPMS/Camera system. The tire pressure on your dash display is great; thats what we have. I have had no issue with the system as of yet. Any of the modern diesel trucks will tow just fine, it will be a matter of preference on looks and amenities. Happy Trails!!!
    Nothing will beat the Diesel especially after going to Tennessee up and down the mountains with the Exhaust Brake, would never tow anything without a Diesel now that we have been RV'ing all these years with it, def gives you piece of mind.
    2022 Grand Design Momentum 351M-R
    2021 GMC Sierra 3500HD AT4 White Crew Cab Short Box 6.6 Duramax Diesel

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast