User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Adding Solar to Pre-wired 21BHE

Hello,

I searched around for an answer before posting but didn't see anything. I'm new to RVing and this is my first post... So the 2021 21BHE is pre-wired for solar. Inside the pass through there's a 'pre wired solar' container with 2 sets of wires - I assume one runs from the solar port on the roof, and the other to the battery. I checked and indeed one set registered 12.8V on my volt meter so that runs to the battery. I want to add 2 x 100W solar panels, so I bought a 20A charge controller. On the charge controller there are 3 connections - one to solar, one to battery, and one to 'power' the RV components. So my question is, do I need to connect the 'power' (lightbulb icon) on the charge controller? And if so, where do I find these wires? (The technician at the dealer said I wouldn't need a charge controller if I stayed below 190W - but my two panels together are 200W.)

I noticed that fore each set of wires, one is both red and black, and the other is red... wondering why? I assumed the pure red is positive - and the volt meter confirmed that. But why a black/red combo on the same wire, instead of just one black, and one red wire?

Thanks in advance for any help for this newbie.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was able to answer this question by finding this useful website: https://www.parkedinparadise.com/charge-controller/
    Bill & Jamie
    Imagine XLS 21BHE
    Chevy Tahoe 5.3L V8
    Jeep Grand Cherokee Eco Diesel

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make sure the factory wiring is of sufficient gauge to handle 200 watts of solar. The "solar prep" is pretty basic.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015