User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thinking of installing inverter

Anyone out there upgrade and install an inverter in their Momentum. I called GD and they offer a 1000w option in the WF-5110-RS. I just need to run a few things at night (Cpapx2) when my onan gen is off. I'd liek to get my hands on a wiring diagram or at least a diagram to map off of. The 1000w they install has its own transfer switch. Im guessing it goes between the line from gen to the converter. Not going to pull the trigger until i know for sure how and where this is installed.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MooManChu View Post
    Anyone out there upgrade and install an inverter in their Momentum. I called GD and they offer a 1000w option in the WF-5110-RS. I just need to run a few things at night (Cpapx2) when my onan gen is off. I'd liek to get my hands on a wiring diagram or at least a diagram to map off of. The 1000w they install has its own transfer switch. Im guessing it goes between the line from gen to the converter. Not going to pull the trigger until i know for sure how and where this is installed.
    For us, we have 12V plugs for our CPAPs. Seems to be less of a headache than trying to invert 12vdc to 120vac, just for the power block for the CPAP to convert it back to 12vdc.

The other problem we have found is one (or even two) 12v flooded batteries do not last more than a day in our coach. I so desperately want to get upgraded to LiFePO and solar, but that is another story.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    For us, we have 12V plugs for our CPAPs. Seems to be less of a headache than trying to invert 12vdc to 120vac, just for the power block for the CPAP to convert it back to 12vdc.

The other problem we have found is one (or even two) 12v flooded batteries do not last more than a day in our coach. I so desperately want to get upgraded to LiFePO and solar, but that is another story.

Yes, thanks for the reply. I do have the 12v converter kit for the CPAPs, however I can't seem to find a way to drop a line to the battery in the wall with the cap insulation blocking. Seems the fiberglass insulation is glued in place. I don't want to drill through the floor either. How did you run your lines? I did I try to feed off the circuit in the wall (goes to the lights), it's not enough power even one of the machines. Machine comes on, lights dim and the the machine shuts off. I called WFCO to see if it is a converter problem and they were no help without pulling the converter to test it and I seriously doubt it s a converter issue. I have upgraded to two NAPA 6v 235aH flooded batteries (golf cart) so If I should have no issues running one night for both CPAPs. I only need one night of juice since we travel during the day or run our onboard gen and should recharge the batteries over the course of a full day. My preference would be to not go with the inverter with the inefficiency going from 12v DC->120V AC -> 24v DC.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, thanks for the reply. I do have the 12v converter kit for the CPAPs, however I can't seem to find a way to drop a line to the battery in the wall with the cap insulation blocking. Seems the fiberglass insulation is glued in place. I don't want to drill through the floor either. How did you run your lines? I did I try to feed off the circuit in the wall (goes to the lights), it's not enough power even one of the machines. Machine comes on, lights dim and the the machine shuts off. I called WFCO to see if it is a converter problem and they were no help without pulling the converter to test it and I seriously doubt it s a converter issue. I have upgraded to two NAPA 6v 235aH flooded batteries (golf cart) so If I should have no issues running one night for both CPAPs. I only need one night of juice since we travel during the day or run our onboard gen and should recharge the batteries over the course of a full day. My preference would be to not go with the inverter with the inefficiency going from 12v DC->120V AC -> 24v DC.
    No, it's not a converter issue. The led lights are supplied something like .5 amps; not enough for the CPAP machine.

We have a USB outlet close to one side of the bed. I replaced it with this: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0814BT6...ing=UTF8&psc=1

The feed lines leading up to the old USB outlet were 14ga wire, same as everything else in the coach. I just wired that in, after enlarging the hike a little bit, and used a cigarette lighter Y cable to plug both CPAPs into it. The one on the other side of the bed has a 12' extension cable, but it works.

We have a 2021 320MKS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, it's not a converter issue. The led lights are supplied something like .5 amps; not enough for the CPAP machine.

We have a USB outlet close to one side of the bed. I replaced it with this: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0814BT6...ing=UTF8&psc=1

The feed lines leading up to the old USB outlet were 14ga wire, same as everything else in the coach. I just wired that in, after enlarging the hike a little bit, and used a cigarette lighter Y cable to plug both CPAPs into it. The one on the other side of the bed has a 12' extension cable, but it works.

We have a 2021 320MKS.

Interesting, I pulled the USB outlet and there were two red wires going into the outlet that were about 28 gauge. paper thin

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting, I pulled the USB outlet and there were two red wires going into the outlet that were about 28 gauge. paper thin
    Correct. But, if you pull it out a little bit further, there should be a connector they are hooked to. Those wires are the 14 ga wires.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Correct. But, if you pull it out a little bit further, there should be a connector they are hooked to. Those wires are the 14 ga wires.

Thanks for reinforcing what I think would work. I agree an inverter just for a couple CPAPs is not an ideal approach given the amount of work and investment. For us, we'd have to install another 50 amp transfer switch between the inverter and generator going to the panel. That alone is at least a $100-150 investment. Plus the inverter and work pulling panels to insert the inverter between the battery and patch panel along with inefficiency and power loss converting DC 12 to 120 AC to DC24 volts. All in all, inverter approach is in the $600-700 range and I've got under $100 invested in two cigarette lighter outlets and two 12v converters specific to the cpap machines.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well. Didn’t work. Same issue. Lights dimmed and machine shut off 10 seconds into the cycle.

So. May need to find a plan b. Being a 5ver running a line from the bedroom wall to the battery is near impossible. No. Is impossible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
    2017 Ford F350 King Ranch 6.7 PSD Super Duty

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well. Didn’t work. Same issue. Lights dimmed and machine shut off 10 seconds into the cycle.

So. May need to find a plan b. Being a 5ver running a line from the bedroom wall to the battery is near impossible. No. Is impossible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hrm. Do you have a volt and ammeter? Verify the voltage both at the outlet and the battery. Then, plug in the CPAP, and put the meter on amps, put the meter online in the positive side, and measure the amps with the CPAP on. That might give you a couple of places to look into.

Comment Edit: fixed the spelling of CPAP from VPAP... Don't ask me where my fingers got that one from!

Last edited by MoonShadow_1911; 04-29-2021 at 08:38 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hrm. Do you have a volt and ammeter? Verify the voltage both at the outlet and the battery. Then, plug in the CPAP, and put the meter on amps, put the meter online in the positive side, and measure the amps with the CPAP on. That might give you a couple of places to look into.

Comment Edit: fixed the spelling of CPAP from VPAP... Don't ask me where my fingers got that one from!

Will do. Actually, I was thinking of different use cases since I also have issues dropping lines in the front cap to the battery (I believe the fiberglass insulation is glued in place along with the aluminum cage). Grand Design did a hell of a job sealing up the cap, which is a good thing. I am going the portable power station route. 530+ Wh Li-ion Battery/Inverter for $340 on sale at Costco. Not the cheapest setup out there but Costco has a liberal return policy. Problem solved. I can charge it during the day while driving. Also I can have a spare power source I can use for non-camping activities... Really don't need anything else running 110v so this should work well with the 12v-24v converters I have.
    Last edited by MooManChu; 05-13-2021 at 11:58 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast