User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Momentum 351-M-R Full Body Paint Question

Does anyone think the full body paint is worth it, seems expensive and also will delay the unit we are about to order? I spoke to GD directly and they are 4 months out, with FBP it is more like 5.5 or so?
    2022 Grand Design Momentum 351M-R
    2021 GMC Sierra 3500HD AT4 White Crew Cab Short Box 6.6 Duramax Diesel

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO, there are pros and cons to FBP. Aesthetics are great, repair and resealing (caulking) not so much. Minimal decals. Does not seem to make a difference in resale value. The quality of the paintwork (not done by GD or most any of the manufacturers in-house) can be very nice to horrendous. Looks sharp when matching with the TV. I think it is more a matter of personal preference with the mass-production rigs. It's not like a Luxe, DRV, etc. where there are levels of painted finish that do not just change by pattern/design but also in finish quality, coats of clear, etc.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked1 View Post
    Does anyone think the full body paint is worth it, seems expensive and also will delay the unit we are about to order? I spoke to GD directly and they are 4 months out, with FBP it is more like 5.5 or so?
    Long time RVrs Dallas @D2Reid , Brian @bertschb , and @b727capt , along with a number of other folks have had one or more FBP GDRVs. Hopefully they will chime in and share their feedback on this. In addition to the cool factor, generally, the FBP is much superior vs decals in lasting and not fading particularly in environments with more UV damage from sunshine.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone think the full body paint is worth it, seems expensive and also will delay the unit we are about to order?
    Only you can decide if it's worth it. Would you have been satisfied if your new truck came covered with stickers rather than paint???? How long do you think the stickers will last exposed to the elements? I personally wouldn't buy another RV without full body paint but like many other things (e.g. my hitch), I'm waaaaaaay in the minority. I would guess 90% of RV buyers choose stickers over paint.

BTW, if you get the typical 30% discount off MSRP, the cost of the full body paint is a little easier to stomach. Oh, one more thing - I actually contacted the vendor that Grand Design uses to apply the full body paint (Precision Paint Group) and they told me they use three coats of clear coat. They also wet sand, buff and polish the clear.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    Only you can decide if it's worth it. Would you have been satisfied if your new truck came covered with stickers rather than paint???? How long do you think the stickers will last exposed to the elements? I personally wouldn't buy another RV without full body paint but like many other things (e.g. my hitch), I'm waaaaaaay in the minority. I would guess 90% of RV buyers choose stickers over paint.

BTW, if you get the typical 30% discount off MSRP, the cost of the full body paint is a little easier to stomach. Oh, one more thing - I actually contacted the vendor that Grand Design uses to apply the full body paint (Precision Paint Group) and they told me they use three coats of clear coat. They also wet sand, buff and polish the clear.
    so far every dealer I have contacted including LazyDays said the days of 30% or more are long gone and only offering 20% and charging freight and prep. I have to sell my Montana, then I have more buying power as I do not have a trade, once this is done, I can negotiate down, but I appreciate all the input on the full body paint, I am 50/50 on it

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so far every dealer I have contacted including LazyDays said the days of 30% or more are long gone and only offering 20% and charging freight and prep. I have to sell my Montana, then I have more buying power as I do not have a trade, once this is done, I can negotiate down, but I appreciate all the input on the full body paint, I am 50/50 on it
    What area of the country are you in?
    2022 Momentum 351M-R
    2019 Ford F450 Platinum CC 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; Truck Covers USA American Work Tonneau; B&W 25K hitch; Airlift 5000 Ultimate+ w/WirelessAir; ZRoadZ back-up lamps
    Gone: 2018 Reflection 28BH; 2017 Ford F350 Platinum CCSB 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; 2015 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB Dmax
    Gone but still in the family: 2004.5 Chev 2500HD CCSB LTZ Dmax

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LazyDays is full of you know what. I just put a deposit down & placed an order for a 381M-R about 3 weeks ago and got 29.3% off MSRP. This is also off of a 2021 model, I learned that i'm actually getting a 2022 for that price. I initially was talking to a guy from the LazyDays internet sales team, he had to email me the build sheet, I had to check off the options I wanted... emailed it back... like we are in the stone age... I literally went to another dealer's website, punched in all the options I wanted and got an emailed quote (which was the 29.3% off MSRP) WHILE i was still on the phone with this guy... Then it took a day later to hear back from this guy at LazyDays when I asked if he could come close to that price only to find out he had to run the numbers up the chain to some sales fairy.

Some dealers just don't get how modern business works.

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just had a conversation with my Rep and he said to allow 3 months extra for full body paint.

It was a month or so before the back log happened.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother_Bluto View Post
    What area of the country are you in?
    New Jersey but we do not mind driving any distance to get a good price, we opted for no Full body paint as it takes too long, also it does not add value to the coach, so 3 years later the cost of the paint is out of the trade in price.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our first 5th wheel was a holdover, it had sat on the dealers lot in Florida for nearly 2 years. They had a company advertising sticker, about a foot across. When they delivered it they took the sticker off. There was a sun fade spot the shape of the sticker. I couldn't get it buffed out, believe me I tried. I looked at that spot for 7 years...

By the time we traded it in the stickers were cracked and ugly, the fiberglass had faded at a different rate from the access doors. It was just getting tatty. That's why we opted to get the full body paint, knowing that use the rv hard, it travels in bad conditions and always sits in the sun. So we ponied up for paint.

4 years into it, I am thinking it was still a good decision. I have come to despise the black base, hot in the sun, shows dirt easily. But Something is still bugging me. But maintenance has been greatly reduced. I used to hand wax the old 5th wheel with an oxidize removing was. The FBP I just wash and put a coat of Aeroshell on the big parts. A lot less work and it is always eye catching in any RV park.

But hindsight being 20/20. If I bought a new Momentum today I would get the plain jane with decals. Within the first week I would peel all of the decals off, all of them. Then I would hunt around for a custom rv paint shop. Still gonna run around $10k, but by doing it this way I would have complete freedom of choice on color and design. I have seen some truly magnificent paint jobs, stuff that last for years and something that is unique only to you.
    Last edited by D2Reid; 04-21-2021 at 01:26 PM.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast