User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

California 5th Wheel Recreational Trailer Endorsement

Went to the CA DMV to obtain my 5th Wheel Recreational Trailer Endorsement. I took the Recreational Vehicle Class A and Trailer Exam, which I passed. After that there was confusion among the DMV personnel. They then gave me a health questionnaire and said I have to go to another field office with my rig and pass a driving test. According to their handbook a health questionnaire nor a driving test were required. A vision test was required; but they did not do that. Did anyone else have to submit a health questionnaire and/or take an actual driving test for the 5th wheel endorsement?

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You must have the wrong handbook. The health questionnaire, laws test, skills test, and driving test have been part of the Cali noncommercial Class A for years. California has probably the best details for the noncommercial Class A of any State requiring one. You will find everything on the CA.gov website as far as specifics.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    You must have the wrong handbook. The health questionnaire, laws test, skills test, and driving test have been part of the Cali noncommercial Class A for years. California has probably the best details for the noncommercial Class A of any State requiring one. You will find everything on the CA.gov website as far as specifics.
    I found this online, from the CA DMV handbook regarding Recreational Trailer Endorsements:

To obtain an original fifth-wheel recreational trailer endorsement-
    Adults must:
    Complete an application for a driver license (DL 44).
    There is no fee unless your license expires within six months.
    Pass the Recreational Vehicles and Noncommercial Class A Trailers law test.
    Pass the basic Class C law test, unless you renewed your Class C license within the last 12 months.
    Pass a vision test.
    You are not required to submit a Health Questionnaire or Physician’s Health Report.
    You are not required to take a pre-trip, skills, or driving test to add a Recreational Trailer endorsement to your current license.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/handbo...r-endorsement/

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The information I found about not requiring a driving test for the Recreational Trailer Endorsement was found in the on-line (DMV.CA.GOV) DMV Recreational Vehicles and Trailers handbook section 7. It states ""A driver must have a fifth-wheel recreational trailer endorsement added to his/her Class C driver license to pull a fifth-wheel recreational trailer over 10,000 lbs., but not over 15,000 lbs. GVWR, which is not used for hire. This endorsement is not required if the driver has a commercial or noncommercial Class A driver license. To obtain an original fifth-wheel recreational trailer endorsement Adult must:
    Complete an application for a driver license (DL 44).
    There is no fee unless your license expires within six months.
    Pass the Recreational Vehicles and Noncommercial Class A Trailers law test.
    Pass the basic Class C law test, unless you renewed your Class C license within the last 12 months.
    Pass a vision test.
    You are not required to submit a Health Questionnaire or Physician’s Health Report.
    You are not required to take a pre-trip, skills, or driving test to add a Recreational Trailer endorsement to your current license."

My 5th wheel's GVWR falls within the 10,000 - 15,000 lbs and based on the last sentence, it appears a driving test for a non-commercial class A driving skills test is not required. I only wish to obtain the endorsement on my class C driver's license.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you livinthelife. That confirms what I found too. I guess it's back to the DMV to get this straightened out and show them what they should told me. Ugh! It shouldn't be this difficult.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apologies, I didn't know Cali put an RV endorsement in-place since I was on the left coast. I was working under the assumption of a noncommercial Class A.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No worries! I think the DMV doesn't know that either. 😒

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the 5th wheel endorsement when I lived in California. It shows as a "restriction 41" on your license. It is only a written test, with no health questionnaire, or driving test requirement. Not hard, just they caught me off guard, as if you haven't done a written test in a number of years, they make you take the vehicle, and for me, the motorcycle written again. Want to see everyone, including supervisors stumped, go in asking to do that test, they actually called Sacramento to figure it out on mine.
    Last edited by Wileykid; 04-21-2021 at 08:24 AM.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are way ahead of the game because most peeps in CA don't even know they need an endorsement for the 10,000lbs to 15,000lbs 5th wheels. Now you just need to educate the DMV on the actual requirements! Good luck!
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a list of the requirements for the state of TN....

It was actually pretty easy!
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast