User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    I did a brief search on the FORScan forums, and it appears there is a country code which can be edited. https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=24337#p24337
    Thanks for your help on this John! I believe you are correct. I just found a youtube video that showed how to do it and they were using forscan.
    Tim & Lori
    2016 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7L Platinum/60 gal Titan tank
    2018 Reflection 307 MKS
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch
    Haloview MC7108 rear and side cameras
    TST 507 4 Sensor Tire Monitoring System with Color Display

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find this thread fascinating and spot on topic for me.

I absolutely love everything about my Ford F-350, (especially the 6.7 Diesel) except for the piece of crap Sync system. I have the XLT model which I believe is the base Sync system. I had low expectations from it, so I’m surprised to see so many folks unhappy with better versions

There are so many unsafe, non- user friendly issues with it, I just can’t understand how or why Ford continues to stick with it

Seasoned Camper more tired since retired's Avatar
    southern Georgia, where gnats rule the world
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’d check out the Forscan forums. May be a simple edit.
    Nope. The hardware and software is different.

If you want to see what can be done check out this:

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/sync-...y-ford-452708/

Not cheap and you will still have issues with upgrades. And don't even think about Sync 4. Again new hardware and software (newer CPU, more memory, must use modem for over the air updates).

A lot of people have tried to update their hardware to sync 3. A lot have compared it to owning a boat......a boat is a hole in the water to throw all you money into.

Suggestion, try to find another truck and sell yours. Prices are nuts on good used trucks. I've been offered over $12K over sticker for a truck I ordered in June and received in November. Not interested until I could get a new one, which my dealer (I'm a good customer having bought 6 vehicles in the last 6 years) projected would be sometime after Christmas (all my trucks are custom orders). I'd like to get a truck with the 12 inch screen and Sync 4, but won't give up my truck until a new, custom order truck is under my butt. Then this one can be purchased.

PS: sticker on my 2020 was $74800, so selling it would be $$86K+. If I could get a new vehicle EXACTLY as I want it (options, color, payload, etc) that would be great. When I ord$6ered this truck, my 2019 trade was for $41000. When they took in upon delivery of the 2020, the trade, with an additional 3800 miles was $50K. And the '19 was only on the lot for 36 hours. Spec on the '19 5.0L , long box, RWD Lariat Ultimate. The truck market is nuts and going to get worse. My wife's Bronco (on the Ranger chassis) won't arrive until next March or April. At least dealer won't mark up over MSRP like several others in the area (markup is $4-10K on a $48K Bronco at those dealers)

And yes the new truck is a 250 diesel due to need for more payload than I could get in any configuration of an F-150.
    Last edited by more tired since retired; 04-28-2021 at 08:48 PM.
    2020 F-250 XLT SuperCrew 7.3L Blue Ox SwayPro, 2020 Imagine 2600RB,
    1600W Solar w/525AH LiFePO4, Victron 3000W, Road Armor w/wet bolt suspension, VisionWork Camera System, Peplink MAX BR1 Pro 5G Mobile Router,MicroAir EasyStart
    Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ FMCA#489460 Escapees SKP#166379

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bumping this as a heads-up for anyone interested: I have the hardware ordered to do the upgrade. My factory system is rebooting several times every time I drive the truck, and I lose access to climate control and audio controls for lengthy periods. Plus, I’ve been driving a vehicle for work that has CarPlay which makes switching to my truck especially annoying.

I’ve watched several YouTube videos on the mechanics of doing the upgrade and it seems like a fairly simple project that can be done in an hour. We’ll see, and I’ll post the outcome here when the hardware shows up and I get it done.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The hardware arrived today. I will hold off on mentioning the supplier until all is done just in case there are any glitches.

Parts provided are the APIM (Accessory Protocol Interface Module) and the new display mounted together as an assembly, a new bezel (Ford) and USB panel (Ford) to replace the existing USB/RCA/Mapping Card panel in the dash compartment, an adapter cable and a GPS antenna.

The APIM is a used Ford OEM piece, which is the norm for most of the better reviewed kits. Others use an aftermarket copy which may be made in the same factory for all I know, but I felt better with the Ford original.

I don’t know the origin of the screen.

My truck has the navigation option, which I never used because the interface was such a pain in the rear and the upgrade kit also has the navigation. That wasn’t a concern, since the new system has CarPlay, and those maps have traffic and closure information.

With the upgrade, I lose the SD map card and the RCA jack video inputs.

The CarPlay and Android Auto functions for the upgraded unit are not wireless. I have an adapter ordered to implement that, but first things first.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CCEC6E58-BD89-4A02-A087-32A301407729.jpeg 
Views:	10 
Size:	147.0 KB 
ID:	43835

If all goes well, I plan to keep the original system parts in the event I trade the truck or otherwise dispose of it where the upgraded system doesn’t add value.

For anyone interested, here is a video from another supplier showing the upgrade process. This isn’t the company I bought from, but I like the video because it is to the point with clear views and no rambling speeches. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ik_MnI167gU
    Last edited by jkwilson; 11-14-2022 at 09:35 AM.
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, after supper tonight I went out to look over the installation.

Popped a couple of panels out, and 5 minutes later I had the Sync 2 hardware in my hands. 10-15 minutes later, I was buttoning the dash back up.

Climate control, nav and radio control all worked fine.

Installation was painfully simple. I went through the setup to connect my phone to the Sync system (not the same as the CarPlay connection). Just a minute and I had my phone linked to the system for calls and Bluetooth audio. Connected my phone via USB and CarPlay was up working.

Then I added a CarlinKit 3.0 Bluetooth CarPlay adapter. Took less than a minute to get it working.

Honestly worried everything went so well!

Only one minor issue. The bezel that snaps in to hold the USB ports isn’t latching in to the dash like it should. I fooled with it a bit, but decided to wait until I have better light tomorrow to see what’s up with it.

So far, it’s been a huge improvement over the old system, and installation was a snap!

I bought my kit on eBay from seller allthingssync.
    Last edited by jkwilson; 11-14-2022 at 06:22 PM.
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This entire discussion of your Sync 3 installation has been very helpful.

When you've managed the wireless carplay set up, please update us on that, as well. Do Google maps/etc. work well in the iPhone (or iPad) to Sync 3/carplay display? That would be sweet!
    Jim and Merna

2021 Solitude 345GK-R w/ 17.5 wheels/Cooper H-rated tires (replacing a 2014 Solitude 369RL).
    8k axles upgraded with Mor-Ryde IS/disc brakes and Solar (1280 watts + 800Ah Lithium batteries).
    2015 F-350 6.7 diesel SRW, Curt 20k hitch.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimibooks View Post
    This entire discussion of your Sync 3 installation has been very helpful.

When you've managed the wireless carplay set up, please update us on that, as well. Do Google maps/etc. work well in the iPhone (or iPad) to Sync 3/carplay display? That would be sweet!
    It all works great. You can choose Google Maps, Apple Maps or Waze for Navigation. With CarPlay, pressing the talk button on the steering wheel brings up Siri. Way better than the old system.
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It all works great. You can choose Google Maps, Apple Maps or Waze for Navigation. With CarPlay, pressing the talk button on the steering wheel brings up Siri. Way better than the old system.
    What happens with the heated / cooled seats, did you lose that function?
    Do you get to use the hot spot feature as well?
    Last edited by RoJoSo; 11-20-2022 at 08:12 PM. Reason: additional question
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS 5th Wheel
    2013 Ford F250 Super Duty, King Ranch, 6.7 Diesel, HD Tow Package
    B&W Companion Slider RVK3405
    Timbren Rear Suspension Enhancement System R250SDG
    Titan 50 Gallon Fuel Tank

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoJoSo View Post
    What happens with the heated / cooled seats, did you lose that function?
    Do you get to use the hot spot feature as well?
    All of the original functions work with the new system.

No hot spot in the truck, and that’s not part of the APIM so upgrading didn’t add it.
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123