User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Problem trying to do the dimmer switch for ceiling lights in our 22 MLE

Tried to do the dimmer switch upgrade but it wouldn't work for me as shown on our ceiling lights.
    I have the correct parts and for some reason our wiring colors are different than the pics and videos on this upgrade.
    We have one red and two brown wires going to the blue ceiling light switch on our unit. I had previously disconnected the white wire to eliminate the annoying blue always on beacon and all was well.
    I purchased the dimmer and switch plate to do this simple install.
    But no matter how I try to hook it up the lights stay on when connected to the dimmer.
    I tried the red and white wire on the dimmer tied together and connected to the red camper wire and the black dimmer wire connected to the camper brown. No luck the lights will fully illuminate even when the dimmer is rotated off and no matter what position it is.
    Tried reversing the red and white to the brown camper wires, and same thing occurred.
    Tried to connect just the red dimmer wire to the red camper wire and the black to the browns,same thing.
    I then wired the same dimmer switch to the awning light wires as shown and it worked great. "Awning light wires from camper were the same colors as in the pics. But i don't want a dimmer on the awing lights just need them on our interior ceiling lights.
    Now I had worked on RV's for a Dealer years ago and understand D.C. circuits and also AC circuits and differences in color codes.
    Just puzzling why ours is different than the ones shown in the videos and pictures on this site.
    I know it's a simple issue causing the problem but can't seen to find a schematic for our unit, much less something that tells me color codes for the wiring.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. My guess is that the lights are wired hot and the on off switch is just completing the ground?
    Thanks in advance.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
    Tried to do the dimmer switch upgrade but it wouldn't work for me as shown on our ceiling lights.
    ...My guess is that the lights are wired hot and the on off switch is just completing the ground?
    Thanks in advance.
    I'm guessing there's a tucked away Unity module in between switch and lights.
    GD Parts Lookup 22MLE > Electrical https://www.granddesignrv.com/owner-...y/parts-lookup
    https://www.granddesignrv.com/owner-...s/detail/70232
    Part Name: MONITOR PANEL CONTROL BOARD X180T
    Part Number: 450154

https://support.lci1.com/onecontrol-...-formerly-myrv
    OneControl® X1 Control Board OEM Installation Manual https://support.lci1.com/onecontrol-...llation-manual
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure what dimmer you are using and don't know which videos you are referring to. But....

If the dimmer has 3 wires on it... one is ground; one is to be wired to 12v; one is to be wired to the feed wire to the lights you are trying to dim. Folks always get messed up with the ground wire as there isn't usually one on the switch for the lights.

Most likely the white wire you removed so "the blue light" on the switch didn't shine any more is a ground wire. The other 2 wires on the lighted switch were the 12v in and feed wire (12v to the lights when switch is on).
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I've tried adding the white wire to the black ground on the switch and it didn't make any difference either. tried every combination. Even blew the fuse a couple of times.
    Thanks for the replies, I think I'll just live with the regular switch for now.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You probably need a multimeter, any cheap one will do. https://www.amazon.com/AstroAI-Digit.../dp/B01ISAMUA6

Next most important is to know that there are several 'standard' color codes and they all get violated regularly. Don't trust them, use your meter,

3rdly, 'smart' panels like the Onecontrol make normal electrical work vastly more complex. All the safety and smarts can interact with dimmers. LED lights are electronics that glow, not power loads.
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RickLight View Post
    You probably need a multimeter, any cheap one will do. https://www.amazon.com/AstroAI-Digit.../dp/B01ISAMUA6

Next most important is to know that there are several 'standard' color codes and they all get violated regularly. Don't trust them, use your meter,

3rdly, 'smart' panels like the Onecontrol make normal electrical work vastly more complex. All the safety and smarts can interact with dimmers. LED lights are electronics that glow, not power loads.
    Yes, LED's are diodes and there are different types. I used my multi meter and white was ground and red was + brown was apparently coming from the load.
    Not sure, and I understand that they have used different types of LED's based on availability or price in the past.
    Just going to let it ride for now. But look at the bright side, I have a spare dimmer switch and a blank to install it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The white wire, from the rv, is not used when adding the dimmer.
    Last edited by Robert_22MLE; 04-29-2021 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Clarification
    Rob & Karen
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2020 GMC HD Denali Diesel