User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn, that is a mess! Thank God we don't have to deal with rats here in Alberta; mice are bad enough. I'm with everyone else on this - between the rat damage, and the damage done by the service techs, the rig is a total write-off at this point and you should get your insurance company involved ASAP. At least have them send an adjuster to assess the damage. Unfortunately, I don't think this is going to get resolved anytime soon and could very well end up with the respective insurance companies dueling it out before a judge.

Best of luck to you. Please keep us updated on your progress.
    Al and BJ

2014 Reflection 323BHS
    573FR3820E3300501
    2020 F350 Super Duty 6.7 PowerStroke SRW
    2007 Harley-Davidson Ultra Classic

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My advice... if they're not offering a 1:1 replacement, get with your insurer. They'll make you mostly whole and pursue the dealerships insurer.

Any insurance company is going to depreciate your trailer so don't expect replacement value unless you have that specific coverage in your policy.

This is why we finance our RVs and carry gap insurance. At the very least, we get the outstanding value of the note. Sure, we could pay cash, but I'd rather not tie up my money in a depreciating asset that could be totalled in an accident...

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tsm102 View Post
    Has anyone else had something like this happen?

unggh...NOPE!
    Holy crap!
    IMO, you should get a new trailer and a cheque for the same amount as the cost of the trailer for the sheer stress and BS of the situation.

But I'm willing to be the dealer's insurance co./lawyers don't think like me.
    I hope they make you 'whole' without adding to the stress, anxiety level.

And please, if you can, at an appropriate time, let us know who the dealer is.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    Unbelievable
    Sorry to hear of this
    Unlikely GD can do much so don’t get upset if they don’t do a lot
    I would contact insurance and they will file a claim against the dealers insurance

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    Not sure I agree with that. If it works like the car industry, the Manufacturer has much clout with their dealers! In fact they can refuse to allow them to carry their product if they don't meet their standards! I know of many dealers that were shut down by the manufacturer!

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PTParker View Post
    Not sure I agree with that. If it works like the car industry, the Manufacturer has much clout with their dealers! In fact they can refuse to allow them to carry their product if they don't meet their standards! I know of many dealers that were shut down by the manufacturer!
    But it isn’t anything like the car industry

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    But it isn’t anything like the car industry

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    So, you are saying that GD does not have any control over who they let carry their products? I don't think so! Grand Design can and I think will help get these things resolved! That has been most peoples experience! If they have enough trouble from a dealer, they can pull the product! Many manufacturers will only let one dealer in an area carry their product and Jayco leans on dealers to only carry their product, does not always work but they try! On Jayco dealer close to us only carries Jayco and airstream, another about 100 miles away is Jayco exclusive. They do have clout with their dealers!

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a fluke. Manufacturer can't be held responsible for vermin at a dealership, and I doubt they'll pull their line, especially if they're a high selling location.

The quickest way to get it totalled is thru your own insurer - the dealer needs to provide them with a line item repair bill to inspect the entire electrical, plumbing and HVAC system, replace the underbelly insulation, and all other chew damage. Then they have to follow up with the repair estimate post-inspection.

Honestly, no dealer wants to take on rebuilding that type of damage. It will chew up (pun intended) one of their bays for weeks on end and its not going to generate any profit. They'll probably mark up the estimate to get it totalled.

At shop labor rates, plus parts and delivery, a 40% rebuild of the coach's critical systems will quickly start to approach the total threshold, which can vary from 60% to 80% of the book value of your coach.

Our motorhome was totalled at 75% of book. Best thing to ever happen to us. I'd have never fully trusted it again.
    Last edited by Lane Hog; 04-25-2021 at 07:12 AM.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2021 381M: Extensive Rat Damage While At Dealer for Service

Quote Originally Posted by PTParker View Post
    So, you are saying that GD does not have any control over who they let carry their products? I don't think so! Grand Design can and I think will help get these things resolved! That has been most peoples experience! If they have enough trouble from a dealer, they can pull the product! Many manufacturers will only let one dealer in an area carry their product and Jayco leans on dealers to only carry their product, does not always work but they try! On Jayco dealer close to us only carries Jayco and airstream, another about 100 miles away is Jayco exclusive. They do have clout with their dealers!
    Dealers are free to carry any and as many products as they want
    Dealers in Canada carry 4-5 different brands
    I worked for GM for decades. The big difference with the car business is we owned everything except for the signage. GM owned the signs. If we decided to carry another line those signs would be removed

The RV industry is nothing like this

Edit: lazy acres in Ontario has multiple brands
    From Grand Design to Jayco and many in between

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GD might play a helping hand but have no power over the dealer. If the dealer is willing to fix it up then the OP's insurance won't declare it total as it's not costing them anything. Now if the dealer is going through his own insurance, then they might declare it total. This is a tough position to be in.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    GD might play a helping hand but have no power over the dealer. If the dealer is willing to fix it up then the OP's insurance won't declare it total as it's not costing them anything. Now if the dealer is going through his own insurance, then they might declare it total. This is a tough position to be in.
    I agree GD might help. The only thing I said earlier was that they also may not and for the OP to not be disappointed in that as it is out of GDs control

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast