User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RV Trip Planning Software

Disclaimer: The following is my opinion only based on our travel habits, campgrounds used, and planning preferences. I am not receiving any compensation from any of the products for my opinion. Certainly not the ones I didn't care for.

I have tried several RV Trip Planning products over the past week. I tried in this order All Stays PRO (paid), Campendium (free), RV Parky (free), and RV Trip Wizard (trial to paid). My choice of the most useful FOR ME of those listed is RV Trip Wizard. My wife and I are NOT full timers we are extended weekend warriors. We camp mostly/preferably in state parks. We try to camp at least one long weekend per month and take at least two longer trips (couple of weeks) each year. We try to visit new campgrounds when possible. We prefer backroads over interstates. From everything I have seen trip planning and requirements for full timers is a bit different than for weekend warriors. Here are some of the observations on each of the products I tried.

All Stays Pro (paid) - Used based on MANY recommendations from YouTube channels. Very disappointed. I think the channels were getting some kind of benefit for promoting All Stays, but maybe not, I don't know for sure. IMHO this product uses very low tech technology. It does include most parks. It does lack routing capability and the web version is not touchscreen responsive on a laptop. The whole interface was just very 'old'. I do have a technology background so I can identify new tech and old tech.
    Campendium (free) - Better than All Stays Pro but really just another map layer on top of Google maps. I found it required more clicks to get to the websites of the listed parks. Overall I found the product harder to navigate because they are 'feeding' you the information they want you to see. Similar to Google ads. You can purchase value added features such as trail map layer, cell phone coverage map layer, and others. Campendium is heavily ad supported in the browser window.
    RV Parky (free) - I've had this on my phone for quite some time but not really used it. A friend told me they use RV Parky so I thought I would give it a try. The first RV Park I looked up which we already have reservations at was NOT in their system. So I ended my trial and uninstalled it. If I couldn't even find our first stop on an already planned trip how much else was it not 'showing'.
    RV Trip Wizard (7 day trial to paid) - The winner! This platform is fee based. $49.00 per year after a free 7 day trial. The best feature that I was wanting is the Driving Radius either in classic (rings) or advanced (actual road distance) You enter how many hours you would like to drive and it will create an overlay that shows on the map how far that extends out in all directions. How many times have you found a great park and then when you map it is way beyond your desired travel hours for the day. For me all the time. It also does the routing with the ability for the user to 'drag' the route to change it. It includes hazards, points of interest, filter by different parks or club memberships. You can create a visitor view to share, export to GPS, email itinerary, print maps, turn by turn. It includes information about the parks, amenities, photos when available and reviews. Calculates costs of travel and stays based on information the user provides.

My DW is still using the Google method but I think I am slowly converting her to RV Trip Wizard. I just wanted to share my experience and hopefully help someone find the right tool sooner. Happy camping and safe travels!
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like Trip Wizard. It took me a little time to get comfortable with it and be able to use all of its features, but it is well-worth the cost.
    Happy campers! / Lorna & Eric and our little furball, Finnan, Canandaigua, NY
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali HD 6.6L Duramax Turbo Diesel, Allison 6 speed transmission, 5th wheel setup, Pullrite SuperGlide 20k
    2018 Reflection 303RLS Built 3/2018, Dual AC's

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Third vote for RV TripWizard.

Have heard good things about https://thedyrt.com, but haven’t use it yet. I believe You, Me & The RV have a discount code or free trial promo code or something.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    4th Vote for RV Trip Wizard. I've been using it for four years now without any issues. I will say that after creating my trip, I re-create it in Google Maps and use that for navigation. The program has a way to send it to your phone but it's pretty clunky and goes to the "My Maps" in google which doesn't have navigation. It's just easier for this old man with limited technical skills to re-create it. Some like a stand alone GPS unit, some like other navigation options, the way I do it, works for me.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the same $49 that you'll pay for RV TRIP WIZARD, the company RV Life is also throwing in their RV LIFE RV SAFE GPS and MAINTAIN MY RV software. All three now for $49 for the year. This is the same company that maintains the Campground Reviews website, my go-to for checking out campgrounds before I book them. I'm not affiliated with RV LIFE. I was just checking out their website and saw this deal.

Has anyone found a Discount Code?
    10% off with THEOUTDOORLIFE2021
    Last edited by pengle; 04-22-2021 at 02:13 PM.
    (Ordered 7/13/20) 2021 Solitude 310GK, FBP, DP, HP, Toppers, Solar, MORryde 7K IS w/Disc Brakes
    Built 9/9/20; To Paint 9/11/20 (5-6 weeks); Done Paint 10/1/20; MORryde axle upgrade 10/5/20; Done at MORryde and paid for 10/8/20; Arrived at Dealer 10/20/20; picked up 11/7/20

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! What great information. Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My quick, go-to Smartphone app has been Allstays Camp & RV for a long time now. I also double check it when looking for low clearances. And it can be handy for truck stops, etc. No sign in needed, quick to access, good filters when searching.

My go to planning app has become RV Trip Wizard. It is well worth the fee. It is still a bit clunky when printing (I don’t like the formatting, especially the way the notes print out). I like that RVTW links to campground.com (also owned by RV Like). I’ve been using CGR for as long as I can remember. And I post reviews of almost all CGs we stay in. It my only trusted app for reviews. I hope people keep using it more than other apps for the reviews.

The RV Life app is very handy for me. I like that it links to RVTW and also has a map for finding campgrounds. And it links to CGR; that’s handy. It actually shows my notes in a better format than the printed stuff the PC based app puts out.

A lot of Johnny-come-latelys are trying to duplicate/replace/one-up CGR but so for they fail because of incomplete listings, too few reviews, try to do too many things. I just loaded and deleted Dyrt, and Campersapp earlier today (before I saw this thread). I may refer to compendium but it hasn’t served me well. Same goes for RVParky (lots of folks like it, it can be handy).

There is another planning app I have used in the past... myscenicdrives.com. I love the way you can list activities and make notes. And the print outs are great. It just isn’t strictly for camping tho so it requires more research to find campgrounds and input them as stops.

My greatest fear is that there are so many wanna-be apps the the few I used will get diluted making me consult too many apps for reference reviews.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post

My greatest fear is that there are so many wanna-be apps the the few I used will get diluted making me consult too many apps for reference reviews.
    That's probably the MAIN reason that I started creating campground reviews at https://www.campgroundreviews.com/ I'm trying to encourage everyone else to do the same so that it is the ONE source for reviews for me.
    (Ordered 7/13/20) 2021 Solitude 310GK, FBP, DP, HP, Toppers, Solar, MORryde 7K IS w/Disc Brakes
    Built 9/9/20; To Paint 9/11/20 (5-6 weeks); Done Paint 10/1/20; MORryde axle upgrade 10/5/20; Done at MORryde and paid for 10/8/20; Arrived at Dealer 10/20/20; picked up 11/7/20

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the old one View Post
    Wow! What great information. Thanks
    Love your Slingshot!
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 RW, Tow Package
    Husky Centerline WDH
    Champion 2500DF, Prodigy P2

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pengle View Post
    That's probably the MAIN reason that I started creating campground reviews at https://www.campgroundreviews.com/ I'm trying to encourage everyone else to do the same so that it is the ONE source for reviews for me.
    I try to refer as many people as possible to use the website. A lot of them you have to treat like a Yelp review and take the comments with a grain of salt, but for the most part it's very helpful
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast