Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2021 260RD with 2016 Ram 2500 CTD braking issue

Hello all,

I just purchased a '21 260RD. I have a 2016 Ram 2500 CTD. When purchased from the dealer, I was hesitant to take it from the lot because while doing the 'tug test" before I left, the trailer did not stop with the gain set to about 7.5 or 8 with the factory controller. So, I pulled the emergency switch and it stopped the trailer dead when I tried to move, completing my tug test.

On the way home, I did not have any notable issues. With the EB enabled, I narrowly had to hit the brakes.

So, I took the truck and trailer to the local CAT Scales (another story, I am over the trucks GVWR by 100 lbs.). On the way up, no issues. I only had to apply braking at a low level to complete the trip. However, on the way back, I had to do a hard brake due to someone in front of me. At the time, my gain was at 8. It seemed to me that probably most of the braking was being completed by my truck. It felt like the trailer was pushing my truck.

So, is it normal to have to put the gain all the way to the max for good braking?

I should also note that was used to tow a 7500 lb. bumper pull with the gain at 4.5 or 5 and it would stop on a dime. I could feel the brakes applying on the trailer and it would lock up if need be. With this setup, I do not feel as though the trailer is braking enough.

I am looking for insight by anyone that has or is experiencing the same issue and how it was resolved.
    Bobby K.
    2021 Reflection 150 260RD
    2016 Ram 2500 CTD
    Central Maryland

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have the multiple adjustments in the EVIC?

Try setting it for heavy electric and see what happens.

I've also heard that there are some software updates available for the oem brake controller.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply.

I have it set for heavy electric now. The other option is heavy hydraulic. I think electric is appropriate here.

I have tested it before I leave by testing the brake lights, etc. and they all are working appropriately. I have ordered a device to test the brake electrical connection meter https://www.amazon.com/Electric-Dyna...ef_=ast_slp_dp and will test the electric as well.

I had the fifth wheel hitch installed by some folks that did not do such a good job. I want to test the electric too. I suspect that if the brake lights come on that they (the brakes) are working correctly ???
    Bobby K.
    2016 Ram 2500 CTD
    Central Maryland

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leatherman View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

I have it set for heavy electric now. The other option is heavy hydraulic. I think electric is appropriate here.

I have tested it before I leave by testing the brake lights, etc. and they all are working appropriately. I have ordered a device to test the brake electrical connection meter https://www.amazon.com/Electric-Dyna...ef_=ast_slp_dp and will test the electric as well.

I had the fifth wheel hitch installed by some folks that did not do such a good job. I want to test the electric too. I suspect that if the brake lights come on that they (the brakes) are working correctly ???
    Yes, it sounds like there is current being sent back to the brakes.

Maybe they need adjusting. They can physically work without actually working, if that makes any sense.

Yes, you do not want hydraulic settings, that is for an electric over hydraulic disc brake set up.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read some other threads about the brakes not being adjusted correctly when driving off the dealer lot. I think that is my issue. I called GD and created a case number and said they will provide payment for a mobile RV tech to come out and diagnose the system. I will see if that works out ok. There are other posts where members have adjusted the brakes themselves. I may have to do that but I need to find out how to do that first.
    Bobby K.
    2016 Ram 2500 CTD
    Central Maryland

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine were not adjusted correctly from the factory either. Should be part of dealer prep in my opinion...
    Not only that, but one brake failed and was repaired under warranty recently.
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, I thought that there may have been an issue with the wiring. I returned it to where I purchased the hitch and they tested it and it's ok.

My '21 260RD brakes do not have the wheel inside that will allow me to adjust them. All of the other posts that I have found indicate that there is a "Star wheel" that allows an adjustment. I have looked inside the holes in my wheels and there is no such wheel. Only a flat piece of metal with a spring on the other end.

Any suggestions?
    Bobby K.
    2016 Ram 2500 CTD
    Central Maryland

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Correct, they are 'self-adjusting' mechanically, not electrically. I should have clarified that I was referring to electrical balancing.

The shop that replaced my bad brake system on one wheel also could balance the current to all four somehow.

As for the bad one, the magnet was loose so that brake did not work at all. The one in front of it was locking up when I pull tested my controller before driving off. As a result, the shop tested all four brakes as part of the job and balanced them.
    Last edited by Grandesigner; 04-23-2021 at 02:52 PM.
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to all that reviewed and responded to this thread. I thought it may have been a wiring issue. I took it back to the dealer where I had the hitch and wiring installed. Sure enough, they checked it and now it works. They said it worked "all along" but it's strange that it did not work before I went there and now it works (??). Anyway, I am glad it's working now.

Thanks everyone.
    Bobby K.
    2016 Ram 2500 CTD
    Central Maryland

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully you don't have a weird intermittent issue that will pop up again...good luck.
    Dan and Rita

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast