Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No Brakes

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZMike View Post
    Just a question - Why would you hear a hum at the hubs? The brake magnets are powered by DC current. If they had AC current going to them, then you should most definitely hear a hum.
    The humming sound you hear from your trailer's electric drum brakes is a good sign. It means that the brakes' magnets are being energized by the output from the trailer brake controller in the vehicle. ...

This DOES NOT mean the brakes are actually moving and pushed against the surface of the drum.. it does mean that thye are at least drawing current

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper02 View Post
    The humming sound you hear from your trailer's electric drum brakes is a good sign. It means that the brakes' magnets are being energized by the output from the trailer brake controller in the vehicle. ...

This DOES NOT mean the brakes are actually moving and pushed against the surface of the drum.. it does mean that thye are at least drawing current
    My point is that with DC current, it is not switching back and forth, it is static. With AC current, the 60 cycle current will generate a 60 cycle hum, like from any transformer. If there is a hum like you state, then what is the frequency? I'm not looking to argue with you, just trying to understand.
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 RW, Tow Package
    Husky Centerline WDH
    Champion 2500DF, Prodigy P2

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't had a chance to try listening to the brake magnets when the truck brake pedal is pushed.
    I wonder if the pulse width modulated DC current from the brake controller would make them hum or not.

Bad Brakes post - https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...l=1#post222784
    etrailer link - https://www.etrailer.com/faq-testing...-function.aspx
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbkims View Post
    I wonder if the pulse width modulated DC current from the brake controller would make them hum or not.
    That would make sense.
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 RW, Tow Package
    Husky Centerline WDH
    Champion 2500DF, Prodigy P2

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tthomison View Post
    Have a 2020 Reflection 315. The electric brakes are not working. Have had both plugs replaced, trailer and truck. Ford dealer has replaced the brake controller. Did not help. Dealer then connected a different truck to the trailer and still nothing. Both trucks show a "trailer wire fault". All other lights on the trailer work. Turn, brake and lights. The only thing not working are the trailer brakes. In reviewing the wiring diagram, it shows a 400a in line fuse. Does anyone know where the fuse is located? Any other suggestion would be very helpful. Thanks
    Has anyone noticed the OP has never checked back on the reply's? Makes one wonder.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    Has anyone noticed the OP has never checked back on the reply's? Makes one wonder.
    This used to get under my skin, but life happens and sometimes RV stuff takes a back seat. Never know what’s going on in peoples’ lives, so I don’t let it bother me anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like to thank everyone who responded to my questions. The ford dealer checked my truck. They replaced the brake controller and checked the wiring. Everything checked out. When connected to the truck, it still had the "trailer wiring fault." I had them connect the trailer to a new truck and got the same "trailer wiring fault" notice. After I got the truck and trailer home, I pulled the emergency brake pin. Did not hear anything. I pulled the trailer. No brakes. So it looks like it's the trailer. Will be taking it to the dealer this Friday. Again, thanks for your help.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too bad you didn't use the multi meter and ohm the two pins on the 7 way as I suggested,,, You would have found the issue very quickly.. And if all four brakes aren't locking up when emergency pin is pulled then most likely the issue with all 4 brakes is gonna be right at the junction box where the 7 way plug connects to the various wires of the RV

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go to a place the repairs trailers for farmers or other working folks. Have them take the wheel assemblies part and inspect. I had same problems and found LCM parts and assemblies are low quality, seals were not installed properly nor were the brakes adjusted properly .

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. The trailer brake controller hot wire (the black one) should have a 30-amp fuse as close to the TV battery as possible. If not, you risk getting a short to TV ground and burning up the vehicle wiring. The blue wire gets its power from the black wire via the brake controller.

2. As recommended in an earlier post, do a visual inspection of the pin box connections and the brake wires at the axles.

3. CAUTION! If there is a short on the hot side of the magnets, you risk melting the breakaway switch and burning wires as there is no fuse between the trailer battery and the emergency breakaway. Before pulling it, do some resistance checks!

4. Brake magnet resistance information. Dexter says their magnets are 3.2 ohms. In practice, they range from 3.2 to 3.5 ohms. I use 3.4 as an average. On a perfect system, the total resistance is 3.4 divided by the number of magnets working. However, that does not take into account trailer wiring loss and connection point loss. A good 4 magnet system will show between .9 to 1 ohm.
    A. 4 magnets =3.4/4 = .85 ohms
    B. 3 magnets = 3.4/3 = 1.133 ohms
    C. 2 magnets = 3.4/2 = 1.7 ohms
    With such low resistance and the difference of having 4 working magnets vs. 3 magnets is so small that care in taking reading is important.

5. A lot of folks don't know how to use an volt/ohm meter. One is required for troubleshooting electric brakes. If you are not comfortable using one, find someone that is. The cost of taking this to a shop will be in the hundreds of dollars.

6. . Start at the trailer plug (7-pin, I hope). With the key at the top, ground is on the bottom right. On the bottom left is the brake terminal. Set the meter to ohms. Touch the leads together and get the reading. Most will show something like .1-.3 ohms. Record that as any added resistance will have to be noted. Call that "base resistance". Check both the bottom pins to a good ground. The 4x4 box that the trailer cord lands on is usually a good chassis ground.
    A. The bottom right pin (ground) should show near the base resistance.
    B. The bottom left pin (trailer brake hot) should show about one more ohm than the base resistance. If the meter shows something near base resistance, there is a short in the system.

7. Put the ohm meter leads between the bottom two pins of the trailer connector. If all is well above, these readings should be the same.
    A. If the meter shows nothing, there is an open in the system.
    B. If the meter shows the same as touching the two meter leads together, there is a short in the system.
    C. If the meter shows about 1 ohm more than the meter did with both leads touched together, you have a good system.

6. If you have the 1 ohm between the two bottom pins, it is now safe to pull the Emergency Breakaway Pin. The easiest way to see if a magnet is working is with a compass. Pull the emergency breakaway. Walk by each wheel very closely near the bottom of the wheel. The compass will point N or S, depending on the direction of the magnet wiring. Well, actually, the best way is with a clamp-on DC ammeter. They are not all that commonly found in a casual troubleshooters tool box. If one is available, clip it over one of the Emergency Breakaway wires. With a brake system that has about 1 ohm of resistance and a good battery, the amperage will be equal to the battery voltage. I = V/R or 12.6/1 = 12.6 amps. Each magnet should have 1/4 of that amperage.
    Last edited by Beekeeper; 04-28-2021 at 08:01 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast