Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Propane Filters?

Just had an auto change over regulator fail. While looking for a replacement, I came across an article talking about propane quality and contamination causing regulator failure.

Has anyone heard of this? Filter recommendations?
    Roger, Stacy and the Sophie the fur kid

2017 Solitude 300GK
    2015 Chev 2500 Diesel (replaced)
    2020 F350 DRW

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roll With The Changes View Post
    Just had an auto change over regulator fail. While looking for a replacement, I came across an article talking about propane quality and contamination causing regulator failure.

Has anyone heard of this? Filter recommendations?
    I've never heard if this. Isn't propane liquid in the tank and gas in the lines? If it's gas then why or how would a filter work? But you got my curiosity. [emoji6] hopefully more knowledgeable then me will chime in.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the first I've heard of it too. Apparently, the liquid propane can get contaminated with oils either in the refining process or in transport.

I can see that during high consumption, the vigorous boiling in the tank could cause that oil to be pushed into the lines to the regulator. I have found liquid propane filters for engines and industrial use, but nothing for the small systems that we use.

Here is one article that I found about it.

https://www.escapees.com/oil-contami...p-gas-systems/

I'm trying not to over think this, but if the system is contaminated, it could be quite a process to clean everything out.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our home garage is heated from Oct/Nov to Apr/May via a propane furnace. It works non stop in the winter. Never had any issues. I'm not saying it doesn't exist, maybe personal use vs industrial is different. Maybe they pressure or flow. IDK
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oil contamination in RV propane systems does happen. My regulator failed on the passenger side and was full of oil. When I bought a new regulator the parts guy at the dealer said he sees regulators with oil frequently. In my case the oil did not appear to go past the passenger side regulator so replacing the regulator fixed the problem. I also replaced both of my propane tanks since at least one of them was contaminated.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update:

Just installed the replacement. There was a small amount of oil on one side of the switch over manifold, but I don't think it was enough to cause a failure. I think this was just a failure. However, one of the things I read about it was that the oil is dissolved in the liquid propane and it precipitates from the gas on the low side of the regulator. As someone suggested, a drop on the output of the regulator should trap the oil that precipitates (maybe precipitate isn't the right word.)

Maybe I'll put in that drop with a drain in it to see how much oil there really is.