User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mgresnick View Post
    jbm -

Here is my response that I got from Furrion on the same issues that I am having.

"[COLOR="#B22222"]Hello.

The issue is not the camera system but it is the new model GMC/CHEVY.

The problem that you're having is that the new model Chevy/GMC trucks have a PWM power signal transmitted by the vehicle. This stands for pulse-width modulation, which is a method of reducing average power delivered by an electrical signal by effectively chopping it up into discrete parts which "fakes" an analog-like result by applying power in pulses, or short bursts of regulated voltage.

To explain that in plain English, this method of power distribution doesn't provide enough current for the transmitter to boost the image signal out to the monitor and the wave/pulse of electrical signal for the lights is just the right frequency that it causes resonating in the relay and doesn't close in order to route power from the coach battery to the camera.

We have a product in development to correct this, but we don't have an ETA on when we can expect that to be through production and available to us. I can add you to a notification list to be contacted when we have that adapter product available.

Well, the gentleman that was behind me in the delivery lot at Lazy Days Tampa thanks you all for this post.
    He bought a used Montana5th wheel and spent a good part the day working on trying to get his rear view camera working. I saw him taking the running light cover off, measuring voltage and whatever but didn't really know what he was doing, as I had my own stuff to look at.
    Later in the day I was roaming around and being nosey I asked him how it was going. He said he couldn't get the monitor to pair with the camera. I didn't think much of it at the time, thought maybe the way he was doing it he had the 2 components to far apart.
    Then the rain came down in buckets and I went back to our trailer.
    Then it hit me, I remembered reading this thread. I didn't pay too much attention to it, but i did read about half of it a while ago.
    So when the rain stopped and he was back outside with his multimeter, I mentioned this to him.
    He was so thankful to know that it wasn't him or the camera.
    Not sure what his solution was, but he talked about running 12volts to the camera from some source and going under the trailer short term so he could drive to New Jersey friday morning.

So thanks again
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For all you 2021 GM owners with a Furion camera that won't work because of low voltage issues there is a simple fix without buying an adapter that most likely won't work 0n 2021 Silverado anyway.
    A simple solution is to find the parking light wire on the travel trailer side of the plug (on mine I have a 5th wheel front compartment and located it) and cut it and wired in a relay. The wire that powers from the 7way to the trailer you connect it to power up/trip the relay (85) and then ground the other side (86) to the trailer body. Run a fused hot wire (10 AMP) from the battery to the relay (30) and the other side of the relay wire (87) to your running lights that was cut and feeds the lights and camera. So basically, when your running lights are on it powers the relay to turn on your lights and camera and is feed from your trailer battery to fully power the circuit of which is being charged as well from your vehicle.
    This is how I corrected my camera issue but I take no responsibility for improper understanding of wiring. Also you only need a 30amp relay with four legs, five legs can be used but don't wire into the center leg.
    Last edited by rhbearusa; 09-22-2021 at 10:22 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rhbearusa View Post
    For all you 2021 GM owners with a Furion camera that won't work because of low voltage issues there is a simple fix without buying an adapter that most likely won't work 0n 2021 Silverado anyway.
    A simple solution is to find the parking light wire on the travel trailer side of the plug (on mine I have a 5th wheel front compartment and located it) and cut it and wired in a relay. The wire that powers from the 7way to the trailer you connect it to power up/trip the relay (85) and then ground the other side (86) to the trailer body. Run a fused hot wire (10 AMP) from the battery to the relay (30) and the other side of the relay wire (87) to your running lights that was cut and feeds the lights and camera. So basically, when your running lights are on it powers the relay to turn on your lights and camera and is feed from your trailer battery to fully power the circuit of which is being charged as well from your vehicle.
    This is how I corrected my camera issue but I take no responsibility for improper understanding of wiring. Also you only need a 30amp relay with four legs, five legs can be used but don't wire into the center leg.
    rhbearusa
    Your solution for powering trailer lights seem to be what I have been thinking about where you add a relay in a way to feed 12v to the trailer lights when you turn your headlights on. Your explanation is pretty good, but I would appreciate it if you were able to share some pictures or a diagram of it. I am thinking that the easiest way for me would be to create an adapter using something similar to this - https://www.amazon.com/MICTUNING-Tra...7TWRW8F1&psc=1 where I would splice in a relay connecting it like you have described.

Any additional help would help.
    Thanks and be safe.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BillinSC View Post
    Yup, I'm sure they'll have something eventually but I was hoping for something before getting too deep into summer.
    Anyway, I'm happy with the set up now and I can always reverse the changes later if the new adapter is an overall better alternative.
    I just received this email from Furrion. Apparently they're starting to get the new adapters in (for 2021 Silverado models etc.). I already have a solution that works for me so I won't be buying one. Just an FYI for others interested.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-11-17 at 3.43.49 PM.png 
Views:	40 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	37745

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems Furrion is having a tough time getting a suitable adapter to power their backup camera with 2020/21 GM heavy duty trucks like my Silverado 2500. So, I built a workaround using a Solid-State Relay circuit to power the rear camera from 12V battery power and not the lower voltage PWM that the Chevy is sending down the line for running lights. I have a 2021 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS but this workaround should work for most travel trailers.
    I didn’t want the truck to sense any power issues with the workaround AND I wanted a seamless fix that didn’t require manually switching the Relay on/off. To accomplish this, I used a solid-state relay (SSR) with a capacitor and diode to trigger the SSR input with the PWM voltage and send a full 12V to the camera and rear running lights.

Because the truck monitors the trailer running light connections, I left the front running lights on the original PWM green wire. These lights are turned on by the truck’s headlights like normal. The truck sees them on so no fault/warning on the truck infosystem.
    I mounted the new SSR junction box near the existing junction box. In the box, the rear running lights and camera wire connects to the 12V SSR position #1 (full 12V). The PWM green wire connects to SSR #3 to active the SSR. The truck’s battery wire (full 12V) connects to SSR #2 and SSR #4 is ground. The capacitor is located in the SSR box, but the diode is outside the box as the box was getting a little crowded.
    Finding a running light wire that feed only the rear of the trailer took investigation. Underneath the trailer on the front driver side, the truck side harness connects to the trailer harness in a small junction box (see pictures). I separated out the connections to the running lights (green wire). In my case, only one green wire exited the junction box to drive all running lights and camera. I tested different exposed green wires on the trailer to find one that only feed the rear running lights and the camera. I got lucky and the first wire I cut near the running light located underneath the hot water heater was a good one to split the running light circuit.

After all the wiring was installed and tested, I installed the rear back up camera and it connected to the wireless monitor right way with no issues, strong signal, and clear picture!

I’m happy this solution is “hands off”, no need to remember to flip a switch and no error messages.
    Hopefully, the attached diagrams, parts list, and pictures will fill in the details for those dealing with a PWM system keeping you from powering your cameras.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Furion back up camera - 2021 2500 Chevy workaround.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	38822Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1 original junction box left - SSR box right.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	38823Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2 original junction box.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	38824Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3 new SSR junction box 1.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	38825Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4 new SSR junction box 2.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	38826

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't you just wire in a 12v bulb into the 12v circuit that powers the camera thus drawing more current and tricking the truck?

That's pretty much geotex's solution but he suggested a resistor.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    Can't you just wire in a 12v bulb into the 12v circuit that powers the camera thus drawing more current and tricking the truck?

That's pretty much geotex's solution but he suggested a resistor.
    That actually might work to keep the truck monitoring system happy. Would be easier than finding a way to split the trailer running light circuit into two parts like I did.

I don't think geotex's proposal would provide a full analog 12V to the camera instead of GM's PWM lower voltage which is the key issue. The solid state relay with capacitor and diode provide the full analog 12V to the camera when the truck's lights are on.

If I'm missing something, let me know.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Katy44 View Post
    That actually might work to keep the truck monitoring system happy. Would be easier than finding a way to split the trailer running light circuit into two parts like I did.

I don't think geotex's proposal would provide a full analog 12V to the camera instead of GM's PWM lower voltage which is the key issue. The solid state relay with capacitor and diode provide the full analog 12V to the camera when the truck's lights are on.

If I'm missing something, let me know.
    I think @geotex meant a resistor from the 12v running light circuit to ground. But I am not sure.

This is the second time I've read about GM trucks and power for pulling trailers. The other issue seemed related to using disc brakes and the pump for the brakes; I think it required an adapter.

Anyway.... I'd try to find a 12v lamp with enough current draw to "fool" that whole PCM arrangement so it provided more power.

Let us know how it works out.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know this reply is a few months old, but I just traded up to a 2022 Silverado with the PMW problem. Question, Why the capacitor and diode? Would connecting the green wire supplying the front trailer lights work. #3 from the tow vehicle and #4 to the front lights. Would this activate the relay? I found the relay on Amazon and the capacitor, but having trouble finding your part number diode.
    Thanks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This Furrion adapter fixed this issue for me: https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=...ries_and_Parts
    Last edited by traveldawg; 08-27-2022 at 08:30 PM. Reason: approved post
    Jason
    Lexington, SC

2021 GMC 2500HD Denali 6.6L Gasser
    2022 2800BH

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast