User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

'21 GMC Denali 2500 problems connecting to Furrion back up camera

Does anyone have a fix for the '21 model GM trucks not being able to provide a full 12v power to the running lights, which the Furrion back up camera requires?

I've read about some adapters, but some say they work and some say they don't??

Contacted Furrion days ago, still no response.
    '21 Solitude 346FL-R
    '21 GMC 2500 Denali 4x4
    Byron, Ga

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You must have led clearance lights on your trailer. If that's correct, your truck's trailer lighting control module is not seeing the 5.5A threshold current. You will need to put a resistor inline on the trailer side parking light wire.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jbm -

Here is my response that I got from Furrion on the same issues that I am having.

"Hello.

The issue is not the camera system but it is the new model GMC/CHEVY.

The problem that you're having is that the new model Chevy/GMC trucks have a PWM power signal transmitted by the vehicle. This stands for pulse-width modulation, which is a method of reducing average power delivered by an electrical signal by effectively chopping it up into discrete parts which "fakes" an analog-like result by applying power in pulses, or short bursts of regulated voltage.

To explain that in plain English, this method of power distribution doesn't provide enough current for the transmitter to boost the image signal out to the monitor and the wave/pulse of electrical signal for the lights is just the right frequency that it causes resonating in the relay and doesn't close in order to route power from the coach battery to the camera.

mod edit to remove advertising of a product (not ready yet but taking orders is still advertising). Sorry, commercial posting not allowed per our rules (even for commercial members)

The immediate and recommended fix is to rewire the camera power to be supplied via a hard wire that is powered by the camper house battery instead of the system being powered by the running lights. This will also allow you to utilize the security functionality of the system while you are camping."

I have ordered a short extension cable for my 7 pin and plan on modifying the wiring to hook up the 12+ from vehicle to the running light side on the trailer(disconnecting the vehicle side of running lights). Not ideal as the running lights will be on whenever I am plugged into the trailer and the trailer light monitoring in the vehicle will be disabled. Don't think it will be a problem as I am rarely sitting with my tether attached. This should get me by until they come out with their "adapter".

If anyone else has any ideas I am all ears.
    Last edited by traveldawg; 02-04-2022 at 05:55 PM.
    2021 Solitude 375-RES-R
    2021 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also have a 2021 GMC Denali and would like to hear how your solution works out.
    Greg & Terri - Southern San Joaquin Valley, CA
    2021 Reflection 260RD
    2021 GMC Denali 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
    Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the exact same issue last year when hooking up my Imagine 21BHE with a new installed fusion to my BMW X5D. It would blow a fuse or something . Anyway, the dealer kept the rig overnight to fix the problem which was to hard wire the furion to the battery. They told me to not go far and not dry camp cause the camera would drain my battery. Fast forward to this year. Upgraded my TV to a GMC Sierra 1500 with the 3.0 diesel and I am scheduled for a service next week to have the camera wired correctly since our first two trips will be dry camping at state parks. I sure hope I don’t run into the same problem again!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greg - I ordered a 7 pin extension cable (with non-molded end so I could modify it) from amazon along with a 12 volt relay. My plan was to trigger the relay on the power from the truck side running lights but sending the 12+ AUX down the running lights pim on the Trailer connector. This would allow the running lights to function with the headlight switch of the vehicle but supplying straight 12 volts.

I did not receive the relay and am leaving tomorrow so disconnected the running light feed on vehicle side and jumpered the 12+ aux to the trailer running light pin. cameras and lights came up like a champ. I agree with geotex1 that there may not be enough load from the relay to appear as connected to the vehicle trailer management system and inserting a load resistor would likely fix that.

For now things are working and will post again when the final test with relay is complete.
    2021 Solitude 375-RES-R
    2021 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you and Happy Trails.
    Greg & Terri - Southern San Joaquin Valley, CA
    2021 Reflection 260RD
    2021 GMC Denali 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
    Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So...I got tired of waiting for Furrion to come out with a suitable adapter that will work with my 2021 Silverado 2500 and wired in a relay to control the power to the rear and side cameras from the battery to bypass the PWM funkiness that's keeping me from running them. I'm sure Furrion will work something out but we have a big trip coming up soon and decided to bite the bullet and make this modification instead (plus I couldn't stand watching $700 worth of cameras sitting on my work bench).

The mod was pretty straight forward and not technically hard, just time consuming.

Underneath where the trailer/truck 7 pin connector goes into a small junction box you can separate out the connections to the running lights that are normally powered by the truck through the green wire. I have a 2021 GD Imagine 2500RL but this should be pretty standard on most TT's. I had three separate wires going from the Main 7 pin (Green) to the TT. One went to the rear tail/stop lights (for running lights) and also two lower marker lights together. A second green wire went to the Upper Rear running lights and the Furrion camera housing and the third green wire went to the Front/Side marker lights.

Because my truck monitors the TT light connections I left the one green wire that connects to the Rear/Stop/Running lights connected to the main 7 pin connection. This way my truck will always see them and monitor the connection (otherwise I would have a constant fault/warning from the truck. These lights will be activated by the trucks headlights like normal.

The other two connections I wired to a 12V relay. This relay is activated manually from a ground triggered switch I installed in the passthrough storage area. The relay is mounted underneath near the junction box. I've never installed/wired a relay before but it was pretty straight forward. Running the wire for the switch was also pretty easy because the wiring from the main 7 pin connector come up behind the wet bay panel. Just had to fish the wire through but was pretty simple.

After all the wiring was completed and tested I installed the rear back up camera and it connected to the wireless monitor right way with no issues, strong signal and clear picture. Tomorrow I'll get the side cameras installed.

The only down side to this set up is that I have to manually turn on/off the camera/marker light circuit. Not a big deal really. You'll know if you've left them on 'cuz all your markers light will be on.

Technically you could also monitor the cameras from inside the TT when camping but again, your marker lights will be on at the same time.

Anyway, just thought I'd share my experience with anyone who might be in the same boat as I was with the PWM system keeping you from running your cameras.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Relay 2.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	35122Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Relay 1.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	35123Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Switch 1.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	35124Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Relay 3.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	35125
    Last edited by BillinSC; 06-23-2021 at 04:49 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Furriion back up Camera

Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    You must have led clearance lights on your trailer. If that's correct, your truck's trailer lighting control module is not seeing the 5.5A threshold current. You will need to put a resistor inline on the trailer side parking light wire.
    It’s just not the new GMC or Chevy. My 2020 BMW X5 also has the same issue. Holiday world called furrion and they said to hopefully have the fix in 2 to 3 months 🤦**♀️ This is after summer for sure.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup, I'm sure they'll have something eventually but I was hoping for something before getting too deep into summer.
    Anyway, I'm happy with the set up now and I can always reverse the changes later if the new adapter is an overall better alternative.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast