Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

'21 GMC Denali 2500 problems connecting to Furrion back up camera

Does anyone have a fix for the '21 model GM trucks not being able to provide a full 12v power to the running lights, which the Furrion back up camera requires?

I've read about some adapters, but some say they work and some say they don't??

Contacted Furrion days ago, still no response.
    '21 Solitude 346FL-R
    '21 GMC 2500 Denali 4x4
    Byron, Ga

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You must have led clearance lights on your trailer. If that's correct, your truck's trailer lighting control module is not seeing the 5.5A threshold current. You will need to put a resistor inline on the trailer side parking light wire.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jbm -

Here is my response that I got from Furrion on the same issues that I am having.

"Hello.

The issue is not the camera system but it is the new model GMC/CHEVY.

The problem that you're having is that the new model Chevy/GMC trucks have a PWM power signal transmitted by the vehicle. This stands for pulse-width modulation, which is a method of reducing average power delivered by an electrical signal by effectively chopping it up into discrete parts which "fakes" an analog-like result by applying power in pulses, or short bursts of regulated voltage.

To explain that in plain English, this method of power distribution doesn't provide enough current for the transmitter to boost the image signal out to the monitor and the wave/pulse of electrical signal for the lights is just the right frequency that it causes resonating in the relay and doesn't close in order to route power from the coach battery to the camera.

mod edit to remove advertising of a product (not ready yet but taking orders is still advertising). Sorry, commercial posting not allowed per our rules (even for commercial members)

The immediate and recommended fix is to rewire the camera power to be supplied via a hard wire that is powered by the camper house battery instead of the system being powered by the running lights. This will also allow you to utilize the security functionality of the system while you are camping."

I have ordered a short extension cable for my 7 pin and plan on modifying the wiring to hook up the 12+ from vehicle to the running light side on the trailer(disconnecting the vehicle side of running lights). Not ideal as the running lights will be on whenever I am plugged into the trailer and the trailer light monitoring in the vehicle will be disabled. Don't think it will be a problem as I am rarely sitting with my tether attached. This should get me by until they come out with their "adapter".

If anyone else has any ideas I am all ears.
    Last edited by traveldawg; 02-04-2022 at 05:55 PM.
    2021 Solitude 375-RES-R
    2021 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also have a 2021 GMC Denali and would like to hear how your solution works out.
    Greg & Terri - Southern San Joaquin Valley, CA
    2021 Reflection 260RD
    2021 GMC Denali 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
    Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greg - I ordered a 7 pin extension cable (with non-molded end so I could modify it) from amazon along with a 12 volt relay. My plan was to trigger the relay on the power from the truck side running lights but sending the 12+ AUX down the running lights pim on the Trailer connector. This would allow the running lights to function with the headlight switch of the vehicle but supplying straight 12 volts.

I did not receive the relay and am leaving tomorrow so disconnected the running light feed on vehicle side and jumpered the 12+ aux to the trailer running light pin. cameras and lights came up like a champ. I agree with geotex1 that there may not be enough load from the relay to appear as connected to the vehicle trailer management system and inserting a load resistor would likely fix that.

For now things are working and will post again when the final test with relay is complete.
    2021 Solitude 375-RES-R
    2021 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you and Happy Trails.
    Greg & Terri - Southern San Joaquin Valley, CA
    2021 Reflection 260RD
    2021 GMC Denali 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
    Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mgresnick View Post
    jbm -

Here is my response that I got from Furrion on the same issues that I am having.

"[COLOR="#B22222"]Hello.

The issue is not the camera system but it is the new model GMC/CHEVY.

The problem that you're having is that the new model Chevy/GMC trucks have a PWM power signal transmitted by the vehicle. This stands for pulse-width modulation, which is a method of reducing average power delivered by an electrical signal by effectively chopping it up into discrete parts which "fakes" an analog-like result by applying power in pulses, or short bursts of regulated voltage.

To explain that in plain English, this method of power distribution doesn't provide enough current for the transmitter to boost the image signal out to the monitor and the wave/pulse of electrical signal for the lights is just the right frequency that it causes resonating in the relay and doesn't close in order to route power from the coach battery to the camera.

We have a product in development to correct this, but we don't have an ETA on when we can expect that to be through production and available to us. I can add you to a notification list to be contacted when we have that adapter product available.

Well, the gentleman that was behind me in the delivery lot at Lazy Days Tampa thanks you all for this post.
    He bought a used Montana5th wheel and spent a good part the day working on trying to get his rear view camera working. I saw him taking the running light cover off, measuring voltage and whatever but didn't really know what he was doing, as I had my own stuff to look at.
    Later in the day I was roaming around and being nosey I asked him how it was going. He said he couldn't get the monitor to pair with the camera. I didn't think much of it at the time, thought maybe the way he was doing it he had the 2 components to far apart.
    Then the rain came down in buckets and I went back to our trailer.
    Then it hit me, I remembered reading this thread. I didn't pay too much attention to it, but i did read about half of it a while ago.
    So when the rain stopped and he was back outside with his multimeter, I mentioned this to him.
    He was so thankful to know that it wasn't him or the camera.
    Not sure what his solution was, but he talked about running 12volts to the camera from some source and going under the trailer short term so he could drive to New Jersey friday morning.

So thanks again
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For all you 2021 GM owners with a Furion camera that won't work because of low voltage issues there is a simple fix without buying an adapter that most likely won't work 0n 2021 Silverado anyway.
    A simple solution is to find the parking light wire on the travel trailer side of the plug (on mine I have a 5th wheel front compartment and located it) and cut it and wired in a relay. The wire that powers from the 7way to the trailer you connect it to power up/trip the relay (85) and then ground the other side (86) to the trailer body. Run a fused hot wire (10 AMP) from the battery to the relay (30) and the other side of the relay wire (87) to your running lights that was cut and feeds the lights and camera. So basically, when your running lights are on it powers the relay to turn on your lights and camera and is feed from your trailer battery to fully power the circuit of which is being charged as well from your vehicle.
    This is how I corrected my camera issue but I take no responsibility for improper understanding of wiring. Also you only need a 30amp relay with four legs, five legs can be used but don't wire into the center leg.
    Last edited by rhbearusa; 09-22-2021 at 10:22 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rhbearusa View Post
    For all you 2021 GM owners with a Furion camera that won't work because of low voltage issues there is a simple fix without buying an adapter that most likely won't work 0n 2021 Silverado anyway.
    A simple solution is to find the parking light wire on the travel trailer side of the plug (on mine I have a 5th wheel front compartment and located it) and cut it and wired in a relay. The wire that powers from the 7way to the trailer you connect it to power up/trip the relay (85) and then ground the other side (86) to the trailer body. Run a fused hot wire (10 AMP) from the battery to the relay (30) and the other side of the relay wire (87) to your running lights that was cut and feeds the lights and camera. So basically, when your running lights are on it powers the relay to turn on your lights and camera and is feed from your trailer battery to fully power the circuit of which is being charged as well from your vehicle.
    This is how I corrected my camera issue but I take no responsibility for improper understanding of wiring. Also you only need a 30amp relay with four legs, five legs can be used but don't wire into the center leg.
    rhbearusa
    Your solution for powering trailer lights seem to be what I have been thinking about where you add a relay in a way to feed 12v to the trailer lights when you turn your headlights on. Your explanation is pretty good, but I would appreciate it if you were able to share some pictures or a diagram of it. I am thinking that the easiest way for me would be to create an adapter using something similar to this - https://www.amazon.com/MICTUNING-Tra...7TWRW8F1&psc=1 where I would splice in a relay connecting it like you have described.

Any additional help would help.
    Thanks and be safe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Furriion back up Camera

Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    You must have led clearance lights on your trailer. If that's correct, your truck's trailer lighting control module is not seeing the 5.5A threshold current. You will need to put a resistor inline on the trailer side parking light wire.
    It’s just not the new GMC or Chevy. My 2020 BMW X5 also has the same issue. Holiday world called furrion and they said to hopefully have the fix in 2 to 3 months 🤦**♀️ This is after summer for sure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast